10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2017 1:45 PM by mxchica RSS

Marriott points from third parties

jsnwater Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I recently tried to book some rooms on the Marriott website only to find it was sold out.  I went to a third party to book the same hotel and dates and rooms were available so I booked them.  When I showed up at the hotel I was told you do NOT get Reward points for rooms booked by a third party.  Basically Marriott sold the rooms for those dates and others, and now will not reward points for stays

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott points from third parties
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Most hotel chains have this policy.  Starwood has had this longer than Marriott.  They are doing a lot to make us book through the hotel sites.  I guess they want to save commissions and if they do have to pay, it comes at our expensive by not giving us points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds frustrating, jsnwater. I am unsure of Marriott's policy in regards to selling rooms to third party websites and how that effects the unsold rooms for a particular night. I would like to reach out to our team in hopes they can provide clarity around this. Once they do, I'll definitely let you know.  

I'd also like to welcome you to the Insiders Community! This is a great forum to share your travel experience, recommendations and search out the inside scoop for many destinations.  My name is Cara, carat, and I am one of the moderators here, along with KatieC, deannad and lindseyh. If you ever have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of us. 

I have also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, if you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Our team has let us know that, the third party companies buy rooms from Marriott and sell them at their own rate on their own site. This is the reason why we would be sold out and the third party sites would have rooms.

jsnwater Silver

I realize they do this procedure to not give out points and maybe get income but this practice is not a positive for me and my thoughts about the Marriott organization and policy

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

It's a business decision by Marriott and it makes sense in some ways.  Rooms that might otherwise go empty are sold.  Sometimes the customers actually spend additional money in a bar, restaurant, or the Marketplace. 

702rugbyref Platinum

I just book through the hotel website to avoid this kind of thing happening.

jsnwater Silver

I would but if you read my original note they were sold out on the dates I wanted on the Marriott website

zogbq Member

Do nights booked through a third party qualify for nights toward elite status? I was told by the front desk staff at the last property I stayed at that it does qualify, but don't see it on my profile.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

When you book through a third party you don't get elite credit or points and if you want your status recognised it's always wise to add your reservation by calling ahead and adding your rewards number to the reservation I never got in the lounge when it happened to me on the rare occasion I he'd to do it

mxchica Silver

I am and have been a world traveler for most of my adult life. Due to the sharp increase in prices overall this past year, I booked more third party stays through my travel benefits sites. I was informed that though I would not receive points I would receive nights credits. 

Once I chased the credit, I was told in email by the elite services that I would not receive points or nights credits.

I feel that if Marriott receives any funds through me and I stay a night I should receive the credit for it. I don't like to be told one thing by one representative and another by a different representative. Looking like not everyone is on the same page.

Also, I arrived later than I wanted one night without calling ahead, I figured it was paid in full and I would still have it, the front desk gave it to someone else and I was out the night and the monies. Ug. I was on the road, and took a nap in the car. Never had that happen in my life.

Also, the service and recognition is not the same when they know I am 'just a third party guest' and not recognizing that I am a member. Even when I report my member status, oh, well your reservation is third party. An excuse to use less than 'normal' status service. I was not amused. That was my experience around third party last year.

I would have the next elite status for all the nights I stayed in 2016. They still weren't free or anything like that. I hope that Marriot's service to all elites improve this coming year. I really do like the stays otherwise..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...