5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2015 8:53 AM by richie_the_c RSS

After 40+ Years- What Can Be expected from Lifetime Platnium?

bigred Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

After 40+ years in a business career, I have just now obtained permanent lifetime platinum status. Aside from every member of the Marriott team commenting on my loyalty before I got to this level and now even more, that I actually got to this level- what is in it for me? Apparently, the only worth while advantage is that I no longer have to chase my 75 nights each year. Seems a small compensation for years of "loyalty" to a worth while firm.  Is there any one out there who can help me learn more about this "accomplishment" and it's benefits, as I go forward using and earning points for use for stays,etc? Years ago I learned of the special phone numbers for platinum members as I have been platinum for many of the 40+ years in the program.Seems "Arne" or is that Arnold could at least  acknowledge the accomplishment with say another free night-would it really kill them to give me such a reward.....really!.....Welcome any comments any one has......thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe CA
  • Re: After 40+ Years- What Can Be expected from Lifetime Platnium?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi bigred, thanks for taking the time to post. The moderation team, (carat, deannad, joshm, and myself) appreciate Insiders sharing their perspectives, concerns and questions, and we're always happy to help address any of these.

Below is a link where you can find all of the Platinum member benefits. Please let me know if you have any questions around these, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

P.S. - Congrats on reaching lifetime Platinum!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey there, @bigred, congrats on your milestone (and joining the lifetime club), and congrats on not having to worry about accumulating 75 nights each year.

You'll see quite a bit of diversity of opinion on the benefits/letdown of lifetime status.  Some of us think it's great, knowing that, in a slow travel year, there's no downgrade to your status.  The cynics will suggest that lifetime status is a loser for Marriott - now that you don't need to chase 75 nights each year, you can start building up your "loyalty" goodwill with another chain.  In any event, here's some links worth reading:

richie_the_c Platinum 2 Reviews

I've been at lifetime platinum for several years now.  Personally, it really hasn't made much of a difference.  No special award for being lifetime.  As ssindc, with no real benefit it does push people to start building other hotel chain status.  I've started staying at other chains.  I've been Platinum Premier (so called "top of the food chain") for 3 years straight now and I still have to ask for upgraded rooms (and many times don't receive them even though they are available (I've checked to see if I could book them 10 minutes after I check in).  It's disappointing to say the least.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

You nailed it on the advantage of Lifetime Platinum vs. Regular Old Every Day Platinum. You don't have to chase the nights every year. Benefits are the same.

I've been LP for several years. I get regular upgrades, both international and US domestic. Some others have problems getting domestic upgrades but I guess that depends on the popularity of the property with elite members. If you have 50 Platinums chasing 20 suites every night your odds aren't goo.

But that experience is no different than before I was Lifetime. In fact, because I still earn enough nights each year Marriott won't even recognize my Lifetime status. If I ask about they tell me I have it. But it's not that way on the website nor on any of my statements. In fact, it still shows how many nights I need to qualify.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

You nailed it on the advantage of Lifetime Platinum vs. Regular Old Every Day Platinum. You don't have to chase the nights every year. Benefits are the same.

I've been LP for several years. I get regular upgrades, both international and US domestic. Some others have problems getting domestic upgrades but I guess that depends on the popularity of the property with elite members. If you have 50 Platinums chasing 20 suites every night your odds aren't goo.

But that experience is no different than before I was Lifetime. In fact, because I still earn enough nights each year Marriott won't even recognize my Lifetime status. If I ask about they tell me I have it. But it's not that way on the website nor on any of my statements. In fact, it still shows how many nights I need to qualify.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...