6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 4:30 PM by bianconero RSS

marriott vacations-no credit for stays

mikeb2620 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently booked a vacation through Marriott Vacations, and was not credited for nights stayed. I called the Marriott Rewards number and was told I only got points for incidental charges (which I knew) and no credit for nights stayed. The operator also told me that you could not book air, hotel and rental cars through Marriott! I then emailed customer service and was told the same thing about not earning credits for night stayed. What's up with that! Certainly does not make me want to book a vacation through Marriott any more.

• Re: marriott vacations-no credit for stays
    tjcnewyork Platinum

MikeB2620

If you are referring to the Vacations by Marriott, the Terms & Conditions are clearly stated here: Vacations by Marriott Terms & Conditions

To recap:

• Members will receive 5,000 Marriott Rewards points each time you book a vacations package offered by Vacations by Marriott and complete your stay.
    • Marriott Rewards points will be added to your account approximately 4-6 weeks after you have completed your package travel.
    • Members must enter their Marriott Rewards number during the vacation package purchase process in order to receive the point.
    • Members must present their Marriott Rewards number to the front desk at check-in to receive credit for any additional hotel purchases that you may make.
    • Members will not earn elite night credit.

Candidly, I was quite surprised that vacation package nights booked through Marriott do not get credited as Elite Qualifying Nights.  The practice is a contradiction to member expectations about loyalty to the Marriott brand.  Thank you for posting this information. One lesson learned is to understand the Cancellation Policy and the Terms and Conditions before booking. That said, I have my solutions hat on.

Assuming you have the e-mail confirmation, check the e-mail to see if the EQN terms are spelled out.  Whether they are or not, consider writing to Customer.Care@marriott.com with the Subject:  Contradictory practices when booking Vacations by Marriott Confirmation #12345678.  As a Gold Elite member, outline your expectations about booking with Marriott in order to requalify your Elite status.  State that the terms of Marriott Vacations are a contradiction to MR practices and that you feel deceived by the brand because of lack of clarity upfront.  As a Gold Elite member, stand your ground and escalate to SLC executive office until a satisfactory resolution is achieved.

Good luck with best wishes for a favorable result.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bianconero Platinum

I just sent an email, let's see if they would even send me a reply. Thanks for the info.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikeb2620 Platinum

Thanks TJCNewYork. I realize the rules, I just disagree with them. I can't believe that the economics of giving people elite night credit for vacations booked through them costs them that much, even if the room is probably being sold at wholesale prices.

tjcnewyork Platinum

You are very welcome and thank you for responding back.  Very often, Insiders provide feedback and or request assistance and don't have the courtesy to post back.

If you opted-in to receive e-mail confirmation of reservations, it's worth checking to examine what if any information about EQN is outlined.  My hunch is that it is not there.  This would invariably  prompt the surprise after-the-fact that is evident in your post. ("What's up with that!") 

Since your expectations of receiving elite credit were so high, I agree that the cost to Marriott to resolve this favorably because of your loyalty to the brand should supercede Terms & Conditions that were not transparent to begin with when you booked. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

MikeB2620 -- I am just as surprised as you and TJCNewYork that EQN credit is not given for nights stayed for Marriott Vacations.  I guess my question is why not.  Maybe there's something I'm missing.  These were paid nights, right?  You didn't use points to pay for them, right?  Something doesn't add up here, seems to me.  There seems to be a contradiction in the Marriott rules.

shirley164 Gold

unfortunately i did not read your post before i too booked a vacation through the website - if i had booked the trip myself (same hotel/same flights) it would have cost me $89.00 more - now i am unable to get credit for my 5 nights stay and can not use American Airlines frequent flyer miles to upgrade my seats because the fare that was used by the website is a bulk rate and those seats can not be upgraded - wish i had the whole anniversary trip to rebook - we are locked in now with our trip - i wonder why marriott offers such a product on their website???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...