13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2015 2:02 PM by msannmcd RSS

Undecided - South Beach or Ft Laud for 5 nights?

livno316 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Just booked flights into Miami / Ft Lauderdale area for 6 days / 5 nights.

Travelling with wife and would like any feedback as to which hotel would be best suited for the following:

- Couple on mid to late 30's celebrating wedding anniversary

- Seeking hotel with good beachfront/access and pools

- Either near South Beach or in Fort Lauderdale (is FTL too quiet?)

Gold member for some time staying on points.

Any valuable insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.\

We are looking to unwind to relax in the sun, read, drink a bit and go out at night for dinners

Note:  I've went ahead a booked the Marriott Stanton and the Mariott Harbor in FTL for now as they both seem decent.

Thanking you all in advance,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Miami, Florida,
  • Re: Undecided - South Beach or Ft Laud for 5 nights?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sounds like a great place to unwind and enjoy an anniversary, livno316!  Is this trip coming up soon? Looking forward to see what others who have visited the two properties you mention have to share.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

livno316 Gold

Lindseyh, yes we've booked our flights to arrive Oct 19th for 5 nights.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Hi livno316 and welcome to Insiders!  Personally I would lean towards the Marriott Harbor in Fort Lauderdale as it is a larger resort with more amenities.  There's plenty of things to do in Fort Lauderdale and of course Miami is not that far away.  You may also want to consider the Ritz in Fort Lauderdale to celebrate your special occasion.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Absolutely, hands down, the Ritz-Carlton South Beach.  Even if you don't stay on Club Level (highly recommended) it is still a lovely property with a fantastic spa.  Right on the beach; right at the beginning of Lincoln Road Mall.  Doesn't get any better than that.

South Beach Miami Hotels - Miami Luxury Hotels l The Ritz-Carlton

livno316 Gold

Thanks missgee.   Unfortunately do not have enough rewards points to stay at the Ritz for the entire week.

Looks like I'll have to go with Marriott Stanton for 5 nights or 6 days.

Flying our of Fort Lauderdale late on Saturday night so may leave Southy Beach Friday morning, drive up to FTL and then check in Friday night at a Marriott property in FTL

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Ritz-Carlton Ft. Lauderdale sometimes has very reasonable rates, so it's worth checking back to see what's available.  It's an easy drive to FLL from the Ft. Lauderdale strip.  We stayed last year in Oct. and got a gorgeous, huge room with view of both the ICW and Ocean for $250/night.  Told them it was our 20th anniversary celebration, and they gave us a complementary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

I wouldn't worry too much about being close to the airport.  Miami/SB is not that far from FLL.  I know you'll have fun whatever you decide!

jlbarone3 Platinum

Can't you do both? I'd recommend 3 nights in SoBe then 2 in FLL. For SoBe, I stayed at Winterhaven and really liked it. Right on Ocean Drive and right across from the beach. For FLL I always stay at Beach Place Towers, the vacation club property. Very nice sized rooms, right near the action, and directly across from the beach.

If he's using points he may be thinking of doing the 4-nights-get-one-free scenario.

livno316 Gold

jlbarone3 - thanks for the feedback.    Unfortunately Beach Place Towers is booked for most of the week.   My wife prefers to be on the beach so it looks like we're stuck with the Stanton for a few days and then up to Beach Harbor in FLL for a few nights as well.

marriott_murph Platinum 1 Reviews

My wife and I have stayed at both the Marriott South Beach and the Marriott Harbor.  Both have great beaches.  Pool area is better at the Marriott Harbor but better nightlife, restaurants and shopping close to the Marriott South Beach.  Can't really go wrong with either location. Laid back and relaxing vs. hip and vibe!

livno316 Gold

Thanks marriott_murph...

If we stay a few nights at the Marriott SOBE and then spend a few nights at Marriott Harbor in FLL we're unable to obtain a 5th night free when staying 4 nights.   Not sure if the free night is worth it as we're using points anyways to stay at one property for 5 nights versus the opportunity to stay at two different properties in different areas.

msannmcd Platinum

Just stayed at both the Biscayne Bay and Stanton pre and post cruise. Biscayne Bay wasn't too bad. Nice views. It's got some wear and tear but is next to public transportation and is attached to the conference center with lots of shops and places to eat. I liked Mike's Sports Bar on the 9th floor of the Venetia next door.

Post cruise we stayed at the Stanton even though we knew the pool area was closed due to renovation. The hotel lobby and rooms are already renovated and very trendy without ruining the art deco aspect of the hotel. The staff were excellent and I loved the concierge lounge views and outdoor seating. Food wasn't bad either!

They had a great happy hour with $4 beers that we enjoyed.

Since the pool is closed, you get free beach lounge chairs and an umbrella. You get a little flag you can raise if you'd like to order food or drinks. The water was gorgeous. Loved watching the parasails and we even had a manatee swim near us! If you aren't an ocean person, they will provide a free bus to the Biscayne Bay to use their pool area. They have a bar next to the pool, lots of chairs, patio space, bunghole and oversixed chess games and a decent sized hot tub. Like the rest of the hotel, its a bit worn but it did not detract from our enjoyment of it - in the rain.

In retrospect, I wish I'd done 1 night at the Biscayne Bay and 2 at the Stanton. If you do pick the Stanton, be sure to walk the block up to the Big Pink Diner. I really enjoyed it there. Have fun wherever you decide to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...