I've already been to Budapest several times and have stayed in both leading Marriott hotels in the city:
1. The Budapest Marriott hotel
2. The Boscolo hotel (Autograph Collection)
Although Budapest also offers a Courtyard hotel and an Executive Apartments facility, these two are considered to be the best Marriott options for the common visitor in Budapest, and choosing in which to stay is individually depended:
1. The Marriott hotel is a classic hotel of the regular Marriott brand which resides by the Danube river and provides all its guests with spectacular views of the Danube and the castle on the hill.
2. The Boscolo hotel resides in the inner part of the city centre and provides its guests with a luxury type of stay.
So in which one should you choose to stay? That depends on what is more important to you:
* Do you prefer a luxury style or do you prefer the view?
* Do you prefer to have an outdoor area? The Boscolo is an indoor only hotel type while the Marriott offers two attractive outdoor terraces in front of the river. One terrace is of the hotel's restaurant also used for breakfast (in the season - quite a lovely experience!) and the other terrace is of the hotel's bar.
* As an elite Rewards member, do you prefer to have an executive lounge available to you while you stay? Only the Marriott hotel can offer you that. As part of the 'Autograph Collection' brand, the Boscolo doesn't offer that.
* Does the room size make a significant difference to you? While the rooms in the Marriott are the common\regular size, the Boscolo hotel offers its guest a relatively huge size of luxury rooms including a huge bathroom!
So what is your preference?
I personally stayed a couple of time in both:
While the Boscolo provides a great experience & quality of service, I think that I'm more of an outdoor guest. I like to have a terrace where I can smoke my cigars peacefully, especially if there's a unique view in the front
Advantages of the Boscolo... Beautiful hotel, stunning inside and routinely upgrades the realtiveLY few elites it sees to one of its many junior suites. Bathrooms are fabulous with huge soaking bathtubs. The amazingly decorated and Historic New York Cafe is an integral part of the hotel, and you'll get points on your must-do visit there.
ADvantages of the Marriott... The exec lounge which although I've never visited is quoted by many as one of the best in the world. The views of the Danube are wonderful AND, debatably the best reason... When you're staying in the Marriott you can't see its monstrous exterior that so blots the landscape for everyone else!
Great thread and insight, fistuk!! I have been hearing lots of great things about Budapest lately. Do you have any suggestions on things to do around the city?
The type of truism in Budapest is very mixed and differ individually. Some people go there only for fun, meaning they spend all their time in a casino or a club... Some people really like to walk around and see the city and they will just get the best tips by reading online.
Budapest is considered to be formed by its two sides of the river: Buda & Pest.
Buda is considered to be the old part of the city and offers the castle and a few more sites.
Pest is considered to be modern part of the city and offers lots of attractions, including its famous main street 'Vaci'.
By the way, all Marriott hotels are located in the Pest side.
Alas, I haven't tried the Autograph (although I've been impressed with some of their other properties - so I look forward to trying it some day), but I rank the Marriott there in my all-time top tier for both (1) views and (2) concierge lounges.
It's nice to have choices!!!