7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2015 2:12 AM by kharada46 RSS

"Honolulu Eats"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The specified item was not found.,

Can you help with advice on "Tamashiro's Fish Market" in Honolulu?

Chef Jason Paul, has a couple of renown places to dine, and it looks like a place to enjoy.

Any Experiences or opinion's?

BTW, another "Hot Spot" is "Sharks Cove Grill", on the North Shore.  Any comment?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu Oahu, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: "Honolulu Eats"?
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Are you coming to Honolulu??

Tamashiro's Market is a favorite spot to buy fresh fish, poke, other seafood items and some groceries.  I'm a regular there since it's near my house and has fresh fish at reasonable prices. 

I've not had any experience with Sharks Cove Grill or scene any critiques of it, but it's Yelp rating is decent. 

Can't find any Jason Paul restaurants either.  He appears to be a personal chef??

If you let me know what kind of food/experiences you're interested in, I'd be happy to make a bunch of recommendations! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46,

No plans to come to Honolulu yet!

Just like to keep up on "Food choices", and know of these places.  Would have a list of places, should I come.

Thanks for the information on Tamashiro's!  Have not been there, but will want to share the experience with you on my next trip!

I see jerrycoin.  Honolulu's dining scene is super dynamic.  New places are seemingly always popping up now days. 

Pig & the Lady is my favorite restaurant.  Super inventive food, excellent medicinals and good service.  Michele's it is not... it's a hipster type environment, but it's simply amazing!

10253816_10207261197189789_5736615219086548307_n.jpg

Check it out!  Blood orange sorbet, Pho-sta (pasta that tastes exactly like pho) with house made noodles, sautéed escargot + bone marrow with grilled bread, foie gras + black truffle pot pie, and the best cocktail I've ever had... the P&L Sour made with P&L's own single barrel Knob Creek Whiskey + lime + apricot + tamarind.  Did I mention the medicinals are incredible here?

The Pig and the Lady

Square Barrels is another favorite with an old school diner/bar feel to it, serving up the absolutely best burgers around and a large variety of beers.  Square Barrels

MW Restaurant is another popular one helmed by a husband and wife team that were once the Chef de Cuisine and Pastry Chef for Alan Wong.  They make upscale versions of local favorites.  MW Restaurant | Hawaii Regional Cuisine

Chef Mavro is by far my favorite fine dining restaurant.  This Hawaii Regional meets French cuisine is served up by an outstanding crew with among the best service in the islands in a relaxed, but elegant atmosphere Chef Mavro

I could go on, and on, and on...   Hope you'll make it here soon!

kharada46,

Wow!

That looks and sounds great!

Hope I can make it out there in the near future!  I owe you a favor for your recommendation in Rome!

BTW, Have you got the "Space Memorabilia" on display?

Not yet jerrycoin.  Our current home doesn't have space for it, but it's all safely stored so that when we do (eventually) get a place with space, I can put it up

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Pig and the Lady is one of my favorite restaurants in Honolulu too, kharada46! For sure. I also love MW and the new Mud Hen Water (owned by the same folks as Town) is pretty bomb.

I have guests coming this weekend and I'm talking them to Mud Hen Water, MW and House Without a Key because tourists love that view. Any other recommendations? I already took them to Pig and the Lady last time they were in town.

melissaerb, I have yet to try Mud Hen Water!  Ed Kenny's other restaurant Town is pretty awesome though.  We had fish and gnocchi from him, and while the fish was excellent, the gnocchi just melts in your mouth... literally!  And it's very farm-to-table there. 

I'm sure you've heard Lee Anne Wong just opened her new restaurant, Hale Ohuna, which looks really terrific.  It's supposed to have a focus on noodles, whiskey and sake, but the other dishes look and sound great too!  Oh, and Lucky Belly in town.  The ramen is a bit too rich for me, but I love the gyoza there and hear great things about their beet salad. 

Take them to Country Shave Ice on Central Ave near 12th Ave right off of Waialae Ave near Bank of Hawaii.  Organic, all natural shave ice.  Last time I went there was a nice young girl working, but her shave ice making wasn't quite up to par.  If Kyle (dark skin, long hair) guy is working, then ample syrup will be applied.  But it's my favorite shave ice.  Period.  I love the Lilikoi, and especially because it's a bit tart.  The Strawberry n Cream is excellent, especially if you want something a little sweeter.  Flavors change often, though, based on availability.  The sweet potato haupia is very unique in a good way

Definitely check out Mission Social Hall at the Mission House Museum by famed local chef Mark Noguchi.  The Luau Stew looks scary, but tastes amazing!  It's like laulau but way, WAY better!!  Sansei Seafood & Sushi at the Waikiki Beach Marriott is great and a more relaxed environment, but for something a little nicer, Japengo at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki is amazing.  It's actually helmed by one of my favorite chefs, John Matsubara. 

Of course for Italian, my favorites are Arancino (di Mare at the Marriott or at the Kahala for more upscale) and La Cucina, which is a hole in the wall with just amazingly good quality. 

If you can, check out a farmers market.  The one at KCC I'm sure you know, but the Honolulu one at NBC on Wed. evenings is also great, as is the Kakaako Farmers Markets at Ward Center on Saturday mornings.  Not just about produce

I can go on and on!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...