18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2015 5:47 PM by mmoore29 RSS

24hr+ cancellation fee notification

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello fellow MR members.

This has happened to me a few times where I go to cancel my reservation in advance of the 24 hour cancellation period (in this case 30hrs prior -local time) and I receive:

The following restrictions will apply if you cancel this reservation:

• CANCEL FEE MAY APPLY

Please select Keep This Reservation or Cancel This Reservation below.

So I call the MR Customer care number and they advise me I will not be charged the cancellation fee. Then I ask why would we even receive this message to begin with outside of the 24hr cancellation period...unanswered but friendly voice to confirm I will not be charged.

It would seem extremely obvious this should be fixed by their IT department but yet it is not. I do not have time to call to ensure I will not be billed for a reservation and cancelled said reservation per policy if it is within a tight window. I know this has happened to me prior on at least two other occasions with 36 hours and get the same message above. PLEASE FIX! Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Los Angeles, California,
  • Re: 24hr+ cancellation fee notification
    Platinum 28 Reviews

702rugbyref

This really got me when the new cancellation procedures and "cut offs" were implemented.  BUT - in 100% of cases I have never been turned down for a "no charge" cancel when calling Platinum Services .  The only requirement they asked me to abide by was effect the cancellation prior to 6PM local (property zone).

This is an unwritten policy for Platinum (I was told).

I am unaware if this applies to resorts.

Take care my friend,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I think it's just a generic message that gets sent like with confirmations with the cxl policy. It says MAY APPLY which you have nothing to worry about if you are with in the window.

702rugbyref Platinum

MAY Apply bothers me, I prefer to keep my earned money at the risk of some computer and manager thinking it means more to them. It should not show up at all if I am outside the 24hr window.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey there 702rugbyref

I too cancelled a reservation at 10 AM CDT on June 26th for a reservation on June 27th at a hotel in EDT zone and I got the same nebulous message.  A cancellation fee MAY APPLY.  HUH??  Please tell me somewhere on the reservation that one has until 6PM or noon or 11:59 PM (or whatever) local time on the day prior to arrival to cancel the reservation.

And I also called Customer Care and she told me she didn’t know why the message was appearing.

The message is confusing the way it is now and should be changed to either not appear if you’re in accordance with the policy or appear with more information.  Such as “Please be aware if you are cancelling this reservation and it is less than 24 hours (or whatever) prior to 6 PM or noon or 11:59 PM (or whatever) of the day of arrival a cancellation fee will apply.” Black and white, please, none of this MAY APPLY stuff.

Can anyone answer this simple question?

If I have a reservation on the 27th what is the latest time on the 26th I can cancel without incurring a penalty?

Thanks!!

702rugbyref Platinum

It is frustrating a person has to waste time to ensure compliance after one has complied.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I've never had a problem with it, either.  And I've called the local number for hotels in instances where I got stranded at an airport, etc., and couldn't cancel before 6pm.  In those cases, I've never been charged for the room even though the hotel would be within its rights to do so.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thank you for bringing this to our attention 702rugbyref. We will pass along to our team and have them look into why this message would pop up!

Hi 702rugbyref,

Our team has advised that they have forwarded your concern to the team that handles cancellation policy messaging for review.  We will follow up with the team to check if a change in wording will be made or not. Thanks again for starting this thread, suggestions / improvements to the site are always welcome and greatly appreciated!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks, deannad I'm sure all of us will be glad to get the cancellation policy messaging resolved but in the interim could you answer this?

If I have a reservation on the 27th what is the latest time on the 26th I can cancel without incurring a penalty?

Thanks again for your help.

insidenji According to Marriott's new cancellation policy that went into effect Jan 1, 2015, all reservations must be cancelled by (at least) 11:59 pm local time the day before check in. There is a thread that discussed the change on here: Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015.

Hope this helps!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks deannad for your help.  This is what is on a current reservation of mine (see below).  It would be GREAT if the detail you listed, i.e. the time, could be added to this to make it more clear.

Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 4, 2015 (1 day[s] before arrival).

I agree, adding the time would definitely be helpful insidenjiI. I will also send this to our team as a suggested change to make on the cancellation policy messaging. Thanks so much for your input

702rugbyref Platinum

Thank you!!! Phil

troppster Platinum

I have called many time even inside of the 24 hours and they have waived the fee.  It only seems to happen if you call them and do not cancel online.

Good Luck

702rugbyref Platinum

MR has told me this as well.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have been told by the MR customer service that if I have an issue with less than 24hrs, they would help out....I hope this means taking care of the charge, even though it has not happened yet but I can see it happening if airport delayed.

mmoore29 Gold

When I receive this message I call hotel and have never been charged a fee even on the same day of cancellation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...