91 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2016 12:07 PM by semgal71 RSS

M Club

aqua Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I Have been seeing a lot of notices up regarding M Club. Will this replace the concierge

lounge ? Will it continue to be a free service for gold/ plat members ? Will they still offer a nice

Breakfast , drinks and appetizers ? Or will this be an additional charge ? I have not

seen a lot of information about this on the insider. Anybody have the 411 ? Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: M Club
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

NathalieF or carat   Can you advise?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Checking on an answer around this now, aqua! Stay tuned.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have not seen any of these, what are they suppose to be?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I noticed this at the Marriott Marquis in Washington DC when I stayed there last summer.  It was called the M Club and I thought maybe all Marquis hotels call their lounge the M Club, but I don't know for sure.  It was much bigger than any other I'd been in, the food offerings were wonderful, a glass of wine at the honor bar was $10.00 (higher than any other lounge I've been in), it was open 24 hours a day, had an outdoor lounge area but it was overrun with screaming kids and many, many adults.  Way too big and noisy for me.

I've noticed some Marriott properties call the lounge the Club Lounge and some still with the older terminology Concierge Lounge but the M Club I was in at the Marquis was similar in concept to the others.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

insidenji,

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis this past weekend and found the M Club very nice. Like you said it is a very large lounge with an outdoor seating option.  Fortunately during my stay it was not "overrun with screaming kids".  It was open 24 hours and had a candy/snack bar set up during the after hours where you could take a small box of snacks with you. In the very back of the lounge there was several computers set up and a couple of LG Steam Closets.  That was the first time I had seen Steam Closets in a lounge.  Pretty cool!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

What is an LG Steam Closet?  Have never heard of this.

Its a device made by LG Electronics that can steam and refresh your clothing to give them the appearance that they just came from the dry cleaners.

http://www.lg.com/us/styler

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hi there vaboywnder.  Gosh I haven't posted anything on this site for a long time so I'm glad you mentioned me; it gets me back in the posting mode.

You know I never thought I would stay at the Marquis again but I did in April; a friend of mine was staying there and the rate was reasonable so I gave it another try.

It was like night and day; the lobby wasn't as crowded and noisy as it was the first time I stayed there and the same thing with the M Club.  The food was great and it wasn't as crowded as it was during my first stay; and no screaming kids!  I did take some mixed nuts, M & Ms, and yogurt covered raisins with me when I went to the Nats - Twins game that weekend.  I grew up in Minnesota and still a Twins fan.  I thought they were going to pull it out; the Twins were ahead in the ninth inning but then the Nats (Bryce Harper I think) hit a home run to tie it.  The game went 16 innings and the Twins lost; boo hoo.  The lounge had chicken breast and macaroni and cheese that night and both were very tasty.

I too wondered what a Steam Closet was and had to look it up on internet.  Did you try it?  Did it work as well as an iron?

The Marquis probably won't be my first choice in the future but I'm glad I did give it another try.

insidenji,

Glad I got you back in the posting mood!    Also glad to hear that your enjoyed your return trip to the Marquis in DC! Since it was the weekend during my stay I wasn't able to take in the usual evening food offerings in the lounge.  I've read they usually have a nice offering in the evenings.  I didn't have a need for the steam closet during my stay but will definitely keep it mind for future visits!

Jsucool76 Gold

Looks like there is also one at the Denver Marriott Westminster (according to FT)

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

The M Club at the Denver Marriott Westminster is best compared to a restaurant and is run by a contractor.  Gold and Platinum elites are given coupons (2 per room) for a "free" breakfast buffet with made to order eggs, as well waffles and pancakes prepared by a cook.  There is also a lounge at the back of the dining area that offers cold drinks and a limited choice of snacks.  The lounge is not readily noticed upon check-in.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Aqua

I have only seen one so far, it is at the Marriott Columbus Airport Hotel.  The M Club has REPLACED the Concierge Lounge and is a Major upgrade.  At this location, just as in many of the CL's, you use your room key to enter the lounge.  There were no coupons for anything, all food items were free for the taking.  Not sure about booze as I have not partaken while in the club.  This location may also be run by an outside contractor as there were several employees running around offering their assistance.  That's all I really know...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i haven't been to one yet but will look forward to trying

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll be at this location (Columbus Airport Marriott) early in the week. I'll see what I can learn while I'm there and post what I discover.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

Yes the M Club or M Lounge will be replacing concierge rooms.  Many appear to be on main lobby levels, and are open 24 hours for snack/non-alcoholic beverages.  Seem to be quite nice, better food, and very up to date in terms of design. As before children allowed w/ parent.  They are trying to control access, as one guest per elite member, and a fee for people after that.  Good luck on that.....  All in all it is a step in the right direction.

702rugbyref Platinum

I wonder if this will be in conflict with the M Club established by MGM resorts in Vegas (their rewards/loyalty program)?

semgal71 Platinum 4 Reviews

I wondered the same thing about the M Club (MGM resorts) in Vegas.  Looks like someone at Marriott in Bethesda didn't do their homework (research) once again.  For example, if you are an M Club Member (MGM resorts) and stay at The Aria in Vegas (and are also a member of the Marriott M Club), can you as  also run next door to the Cosmopolitan (a Marriott property) and use their M Club if you are a gold/plat member but staying at the Aria?  Thanks, Marriott.  Seems the "M Club" name was "taken" about 10 years ago.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i dont think the cosmo will get an M club. Thats an autograph property and they are not required to have any sort of lounge. M clubs will mostly be at regular marriotts or JWs

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I don't think the Cosmo has any clubs. I will be there in two weeks

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

It is possible that Marriott has reached a deal with MGM for the use of "M Club."  I would think that if Marriott is violating an MGM trademark, that MGM would have already brought legal action.

I've done some searching and have found no news about a trademark contest regarding M Club.

I searched the USPTO Trademark site and found that no US trademark (or trademark application) exists for "M Club".

Thanks for posting...I had not heard of the M Lounges before.  I found this online article from last year regarding the rollout.  I like the idea of having 24 hour access to the lounges.

http://travelskills.com/2014/06/09/marriotts-m-club-lounges-hot-new-concept-mostly-hype/

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Saw a discussion about this on Flyertalk a while ago. It seems to be Marriotts concept to standardise the lounge and lounge offerings. So decor, food hours, bar offerings, manned hours, will become very similar meaning we'll know what to expect as it'll be principalLy the same across all M lounges. Hopefully the concept will take heed of the better lounges and bring up the poorer ones, and hopefully bring European/Asian free beer back to North American lounges, though I'll not hold my breath on that one!

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi aqua,

I've worked with lindseyh on this and our team has informed us that the M club is the updated concierges lounge and will mostly be found in the newer hotels. If you need anything else on this topic, please let us know, but it is just an updated lounge with a new name!

theretiree Platinum

No, this is most definitely not a good idea.  Having spent the last ten years traveling frequently enough, and enriching Marriott enough, to have been a Platinum for most of that time with well over 700 lifetime nights, I think that allowing me to bring my wife AND kids to an occasional lounge is little enough to ask in return for my Marriott addiction, and my solo nights on the road.  To be asked to pay $30-50 extra PER PERSON so my family can have breakfast with me is ridiculous and frankly insulting--the sort of disgraceful thievery that US airlines have now conditioned us to accept as normal.  Its not normal, and its not right.   If Mr Marriott showed up with his typical Mormon family, which of his kids do you think he would leave outside the door while he and one Blessed family member enjoyed breakfast?  If you wouldn't ask that of him, why would you expect us his customers to accept this kind of treatment?

Last year you started penalizing same-day cancelations, and this year you're monetizing the Lounges.  Shame on you for adopting the money-grubbing US airline model.

superchief1 Platinum

I have been in one or two 'M' lounges (I think the new JW in Austin is 'M' but I'm not sure). The SFO Marriott is definitely an 'M'. I have mixed feelings about the concept. The lounges are large, have greater food selections, and are very nice. However, they are on a main floor near banquet rooms or restaurants and are less convenient to room location, especially compared to rooms on the CL level. Wine prices in both cases were very high (comparable to non-happy hour prices in the bar) and pours are restricted. I think Marriott is moving to this new concept for the following reasons:

• Closer to food preparation area.
    • Opportunity to increase profits from wine/alcoholic beverages.
    • Opportunity to eliminate CL floors, which gives hotels more flexibility regarding upgrade policy/room assignment.
    • Larger social area to appeal to Millenials 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I found the M Club Lounge at the Columbus Airport Marriott to be quite nice. The food offerings in the evening were comparable to a typical CL and were kept well stocked. One thing I noticed is several hosts/hostesses making sure guests had everything they needed (food, beer, wine, etc.).

I had an early morning flight, so I didn't get to find out what breakfast was like. One nice feature is that the M Club Lounge is open 24 hours a day. During the overnight hours there isn't much to available except water, coffee, tea, and soft drinks, though I do recall seeing bags of chips and a couple glass jars with cookies inside.

IMG_0317.JPG

One thing I did notice was the sign out front.

IMG_0316.JPG

Interesting that day passes can be purchased. I'm guessing that not many folks will do so, but I suppose it might yield one more revenue source for some locations. At this property, the M Club Lounge was on the ground floor right beside the fitness center. As superchief1 points out, this can eliminate the need for CL floors.

My first experience was a positive one. I'll be curious to see if that holds true at other properties with M Club Lounges.

superchief1 Platinum

The new JW in Austin has an M Club lounge on a main floor near the convention center. I don't recall seeing any CL floors in the hotel, but I can't confirm this. It will be interesting to see whether the new hotels have CL floors, and whether they are eliminated from existing hotels when an 'M' lounge is added.

The location will be more convenient for lounge visits during meeting breaks, but less convenient for people like me who prefer to go back to my room after breakfast prior to checking out or leaving for the day.

The new location will likely reduce the number of people wearing PJ's or bathrobes in the lounge.

Well, the lack of bathrobed lounge visitors will be a plus! As for the "M" lounges the more I read, the more convinced I am that this is a branding and standardisation exercise, the hope being to improve poorly run lounges and improve opportunities for F&B sales being closer to the kitchen enabling a paid menu to be offered as well as the free snacks, and to sell entry to the lounge to non-elites. Not a bad idea, if the capacity is built in. It will however reduce the "upgrade" options as there will no longer be lots of rooms on the concierge floor that can be counted as upgrades.

Ground or restaurant floor lounges are already pretty commonplace in Europe and I don't ever give the "inconvenience" a second thought.

txman Gold

I'm heading to Austin in the very near future, I guess I will get to try out the new M-Club at the JW there. Thanks to all for the information.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

The M Lounge was introduced in Canadian Marriotts via the Calgary downtown Marriott Hotel which we were staying at for 7 days.  It was on the 2nd floor of the hotel and was thoroughly enjoyed by both my wife and myself.  They were trying to work out the kinks during our stay but in no way did that affect the wonderful service that was provided by all.  Not only did they provide a great morning spread, their daytime included a variety of snacks and their evening fare was fabulous.  The concierge lounge used to be on a high floor and has been totally removed.  We found the M Lounge having 24-7 access as well as breakfast service on weekends was a real plus.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I think this concept is interesting, and I'll be looking forward to being at a Marriott with one, but the one thing I'm a bit concerned with is the idea of day passes for the non Platinum or Gold Elite members. It's one thing if the day passes are limited to those of us in that level so that we can accommodate additional family members, but my concern is that if any guest can get a pass, it clearly raises the possibility of overly crowded lounges. Also, Platinum and Gold members have spent a lot of money and time traveling, and show a lot of loyalty to Marriott. I don't want to sound like an elitist (and I apologize if I offend any Silver member), but I do think we deserve something like this that rewards only us for our loyalty, This being said, I do want to thank Marriott for seeming to have listened to the concerns expressed here regarding the Concierge Lounges.

superchief1 Platinum

I share your concern with overcrowding if access is granted with a fee. I realize that anyone can access the current CL floor by paying more for a room, but capacity is controlled by the number of rooms on the CL floor. Now, access can be offered to everyone at the hotel who is willing to pay the fee. I am curious regarding how much is charged for access in these hotels.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

So the Calgary Marriott has this price for people wanting to access the M Lounge without gold/plat status

image.jpg

THen in it goes on to describe what you get for this rate of $519.00

image.jpg

I really dislike the idea of selling passes.  For example, the Renaissance Hotel in Asheville, NC permanently closed their Concierge Lounge because they said "too many Golds and Platiniums" were using it.  Now, if it was an M Club, what would happen if in addition they sold passes?   Complete meltdown?    Personally, I think this was the wrong answer for the Renaissance to provide as to their excuse for closing it.  Try "we're too cheap" to keep it open, or "we don't give a rat's *** about Gold and Platinum".

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It also probably would not have been closed if the United folks didn't get Gold Elite at Marriott!!!!

I knew I'd find a way to bring up that silly almost one sided deal in 2016 that Marriott made with them a couple of years back.

superchief1 Platinum

I hope that more reasonable wine prices will be offered in future 'M' lounges. The prices now are as high as the bar/restaurant. These would be more acceptable if we can pour our own glasses, but the lounge attendants or automated dispensers are now controlling the portions and the amount doesn't justify the excessive price.

scopinfl Platinum

Stayed at the Columbus Airport Marriott this last weekend and was not impressed with the M Lounge. The staff at the lounge were very nice, but the food selection for breakfast and dinner was not up to what I have come to expect from the Marriott.

Platinum 28 Reviews

For some reason Marriott has been hiding this M Club from me.  Maybe they have inappropriate magazines for my maturity level available in the clubs.

Until you guys started talking about them I had never heard, seen or been in one.

I'll keep searching.  When I find one close I will go in and find something wrong and immediately transmit by complaint.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Is it required that you be a guest at that property or is Platinum Status sufficient?

Since most CL and M Clubs require a room key to enter that I've been in, pretty much need to be a guest at the property or have a friend who  is and will let you tag along.  Now there are some that are just open, but again most in that situation requires a room key to access that floor.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I haven't seen any of these "M" clubs so I wasn't sure if was effectively just a renaming of the lounge. Apparently it is.

702rugbyref Platinum

Attended my first M Club this past weekend at the SFO Waterfront Marriott. Nice lounge, loud and the espresso machine was broken the entire weekend. Hope they get better!

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

The Marriott East in Manhattan has a lounge called the M club instead of a congierge lounge.   It was similar to other lounges I have been in but it did seem bigger.  The breakfast was very similar to other properties, but the food in the evening seemed better than a lot of properties I have been to.  It was not open on the weekends although it did open at 5:00 on Sunday night.  It was also open during the day during the week so you could get soda and water.  

Platinum 28 Reviews

dreamtrip  Referring to the lounge at the Marriott East Side in New York as large is a giant understatement.  That lounge is HUGE especially since it was remodled two years ago. 

It is possible, and if someone has knowledge of the contrary let me know, the largest CL or M or whatever you want to call it in all of MARRIOTTDOM!

Platinum 28 Reviews

dreamtrip  Do not recollect giving you an official greeting from a member of the "dark side".  We always need fresh voices.

I noticed from your profile that you said you were a "great cook" - please furnish independent documentation for verification or please remove "Great".

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

He's killin me.  Please allow the phrase "Great" to remain even without any documentation.

On  a real roll today eh Chuck?

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR  Today's activity has provided so much to comment on!

Must have something to talk about so I stay away from politics which I sincerely believe doesn't belong in this forum.

Apparantly it is, I agree.  Except now they are selling one-day passes to non-elites, so they will be even more crowded.  That plus Marriott's boffo idea of allowing United Premiers in for free, they will be even more crowded than ever.  Well done, Marriott.

seatexan Platinum

How would a Marriott know if they were United Premier?

Marriott and United Airlines have a common registration page where UAs can register their Gold membership to their Marriott account and be upgraded to Gold, and Marriotts can register their Plat membership to their UA account and be upgraded to UA silver.

So the Marriott front desk simply sees the member as Marriott Gold and grants them the bennies. Likewise, at UA checkin you're seen as UA silver, and treated accordingly.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

The United deal is actually one that many of us enjoy.  I have been upgraded on more than half my United flights since this deal was struck.  I get priority luggage handling and check in.  On the other side, I have yet to encounter a CL that was so crowded that I was denied timely service. 

I know some people have experienced crowding in the CL, but I must travel on a different schedule.

Incidentally, when I was only Silver, I frequently paid for CL access. so this is not a new phenomenon.  For my daughter's wedding (that was my last year as silver) I was granted complementary CL access for all our wedding guests that were at the hotel the morning after the wedding.  Apparently this has been true over the years, and many FS hotels have offered CL access for a fee.  Many even have had signs in the lobby advertising this.

Yes, I've seen signs at many Marriotts offering to "Make it an Executive Stay" and upgrade to an Exec room with lounge access for, typically £25. Of course the signs arent up every time, I assume unavailable when all exec rooms are booked up. For those hotels that offer this I've never experienced lounge overspcrowding though as I do repeat, here in the EU we have far less Golds, however they get to the status.

Platinum 28 Reviews

semgal71   Sooner or later we are mixing apple and oranges - I really don't think it's fair to blame the mutual marketing agreement with United for the overcrowding of any CL (or "M" whatever anyone wants to call them).

It's safe to say that a majority of member's here agree that the overcrowding problem existed way  before the United deal.

Getting back to the CL's I must take issue with the "one day pass" comment - The ability for anyone desiring to have lounge access has always existed.  For the last 30 years if a guest wanted a room on the concierge level all they had to do was reserve (at a stated extra charge).  The reason it is now called a "  daily pass" is to allow access if the CL floor(s)  are fully occupied.

Furthermore, this whole discussion seems to have reached  a point where everyone has simply forgotten that nothing has really changed!    THE M CLUB IS A RELOCATED CL caused by the properties necessity for larger quarters.

Now, let's bring this full circle - I stated earlier that I have yet to experience an M club.  Well, guess what,?  I am a member that has repeatedly recommended the New York Marriott East Side . A property that I stayed at no less than 23 nights in 2015- (Home of the largest lounge that I have enjoyed in all of Marriott properties ) - the renaming of the CL to an M club at this property was so subtle I never noticed that they changed the name to M Club!!

AS an elite (always knew I was special) Marriott to me has become one HUGE bed and breakfast chain!  With the exception of CY's every brand I stay at I get breakfast!  With the added perk of a place for a snack and drink prior to dinner.

Whether this "Club" can also be a "Lounge" should be the question for the future.  "Lounge" connotates  a place to "relax" - as of now if food is present the crowds are there negating the opportunity to relax.

CONCLUSION:  Enough already, let's go on to the next subject!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Sir, I believe you still have "sleep" in your eyes - if you would be so kind please point out where I said that the UA agreement did not add to the crowd!

What I said was the crowding existed prior to the agreement -

I am admittingly certifiably crazy.  But not dumb!  Please re-read my post and follow with a lengthy apology

HUH?

It wasn't sleep it was that I cannot read.  LOL Gone

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR  You should adopt my policy of not drinking alcohol until 4PM

I didn't start till 6PM, just haven't stopped.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

misterck

Did someone at Marriott tell you that the M club concept was developed to fill a space need? I'm not really sure that is correct.  Are you aware that these M Clubs, at least a few (if not all) are run by outside vendors.  I have no idea what the thinking is with these Clubs, but as I have mentioned in the past, i find them to be major upgradesa to the CL's that proceeded them.

shoeman

Platinum 28 Reviews

shoeman1000

Basically this is the set up at FS properties - Some FS properties (although a minority) are franchises.  Consequently they have various concessions within the hotel which is permitted under their contract with Marriott.

In the cases where there is a concession that handles the food and beverage in the hotel, the concessionaire furnishes all necessary services including room service, banquets, restaurants and lounges (whatever title they carry).

Most full service hotels are managed by the Marriott corporation and it is Marriott's policy to furnish food and beverage services by Marriott's own catering departments.  Obviously in this case it would be Marriott servicing the lounges.

Now to sum up this point - you can have a lounge (whatever it is called) managed by a concessionaire in a non-Marriott managed hotel and the opposite in a managed property.

Now to the "M' lounge concept.  Once I came out of denial and realized I have been in "M" lounges and didn't wasn't aware I asked the hostess  at the Marriott East Side in NY(we made her famous last year and I've already forgotten her name) what was the reason for the name change.

Her explanation basically described the move of CL's off the C level/floor directly due to overcrowding.  There are simply too many eligible guests for the space that was available.

Decisions were made throughout the chain that the lounge would be moved in the larger hotels closer to the catering facilities, a planned upgrade of offerings, and due to the space being taken away from the banquet department the "club" would be available to all those willing to pay for it .  This would  allow it to become a revenue producing center hopefully providing  income by expanding access for purchase as there were not enough rooms on the C level along to fill the lounge.  Hence renaming "M" Club.

Now, please don't shoot the messenger - that is what was told to me.