44 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2016 6:45 PM by iahflyr RSS

Worst airline in the world?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many would say Ryanair or Spirit, but apparently Air Koryo is the "world's worst airline". What does everyone think? What are some airlines you have experienced that would rank as the "world's worst?

Is North Korea's Air Koryo the world's worst airline? It may be the quirkiest

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Worst airline in the world?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

HMMM have to think about this one for a bit as I cannot come up with any airline that I've flown on that could rank as the "worlds worst".  And no I will NOT offer up UA. LOL

Message was edited by: IAHFLYR

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

LuckyCharm$ Gold

I would have to say Delta. I'm sorry every single time I have flown Delta, I've experienced problems and horrible customer service. I've said never again and then friends & family say NO give then another try.....well after that last try about five years ago I have not been back and I don't plan on it. Good Luck Delta fans!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Frontier!  I flew them as an unaccompanied minor in 1986 to LAX, and they went belly up and ceased operations the day after my flight leaving me stranded.  Had to take UA to get to home.  It was scary because I was by myself and had no money, credit cards, etc.  There was no internet or cell phones.  I was going to my older sister's in LA and had to have her help me get a ticket to get home.  I'm not sure who or what the current Frontier is, but the one I was flying 30 years ago was the worst!  Having said that, any airline that gets me to my destination safely cannot be that bad.  My sister was scheduled to fly on a flight that crashed at O'Hare a few decades ago but missed her connection and wasn't on the flight, thank God.  She was leaving her summer job in Michigan to go out to LA to see my other sister for the weekend.  That was one time to be glad about O'Hare's notorious delays.  Thankfully nobody in the family knew that was her flight until after the fact, or my parents would probably have had a heart attack.  This made us all scared to fly for awhile.   And, no, she never did get to LA - instead my uncle in Chicago drove her back to Michigan.  I actually have the best luck on AA.  UA is a mixed bag - it's either great or dreadful.  DL is pretty good at canceling/delaying despite its claims of being the most on time airline in the US.

jt15550 Platinum

I'm gonna go with Malaysian Airlines.  Lose two planes within 131 days - that's pretty bad in my book, extenuating circumstances or not.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Air Koryo definitely could be the worst... I mean have you seen their catering and ancient aircraft?!  Then again... at least they have catering??  And some would view the vintage aircraft as a good thing. 

I'm pretty sure the mainland China airlines are worst all things considered. 

China Southern A380 FC

702rugbyref Platinum

Allegiant is working their way there for sure but I am guessing 'ASIA' is in their name.

702rugbyref Platinum

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think one of the major reasons Air Koryo has earned the monicker so repeatedly is that it is the only national airline whose entire fleet was banned from European airspace, due to safety concerns surrounding their ancient Tupolev inventory. Obviously any airline that finds their entire fleet banned from a continent due to safety concerns will find it difficult to climb up the ranking, not to mention the thereby heavily restriction placed on its international reach!

I do seem to remember reading that the airline has secured a couple of newer (still Russian) aircraft that will mean it'll be approved for European flights again, though restricted only to those aircraft. German flights are apparently on the list of priorities though having read reviews of their flights, almost no language skills, untranslated North Korean propaganda masquerading as entertainment, no recognisable food, robotic aircrew, skipped safety announcements, they could find attracting customers from Lufthansa difficult. Oh, that and of course their restricted destination list.

Sunbathing in Pyongyang, anyone? Anyone?

Right you are brightlybob!  They got a couple of Tu-204s. 

I wonder where Iran Air is on that list?  But more importantly, I wonder what kind of aircraft they'll buy to modernize their fleet once the sanctions are relaxed or even eliminated?  They've been traditionally a Boeing carrier, but they also have a bunch of Airbuses now...

IranAir... I've just looked it up, 2-stars. Though as one of the very few airlines that doesnt serve alcohol, it should be deducted both its stars. Flying without alcohol? Unbearable!

Alcohol is required on some airlines before you even get on the plane!!

lol thanks for the recon brightlybob!  And I agree with you and IAHFLYR.  I'm sure Dr. jerrycoin would prohibit any of us from flying on any airline that can't provide us with medicinals

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The specified item was not found.,

I blame it on your upcoming "Buddy",  bejacob!

He had me take my "Med's" on his recent trip to STL!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The specified item was not found.,

I blame it on your upcoming "Buddy",  bejacob!

He had me take my "Med's" on his recent trip to STL!

bradrimm Member

I've found Iran Air to be great when flying to Iran. They have old planes, which is a worry, but the service and value is fantastic (especially if booking travel in Iran with IRR). They feed you very well with old fashioned service and baggage limits are never a problem either. I agree though more Boeing would be nice (maybe a drink over international waters too).

bradrimm, I don't see that happening anytime soon.  If you want to fly an Islamic airline with booz, gotta go with Emirate, Etihad, or Qatar... Though I'm sure they're actually on the best airlines in the world list

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Kuwait Air serves beer on international flights.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My list:

Worst:  All (with one exception listed below) - There is not a major carrier on the planet that has not inconvenienced yours truly sometime in the last 50 years!

BEST - Hawaiian Airlines - You don't notice any problems when the plane is heading West from the mainland!!!

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I think there are more airlines competing for "worst airline" than there are competing for "best airline".  I expect that most of them regard "worst airline" as a more achievable goal.

I haven't flown on Air Koryo, but I nominate SkyWest as the worst airline I've been on.  Amongst other things, they operate some United Express flights.  I wish SkyWest didn't exist....and I would certainly rather not fly with them.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I fly on average about 8-10 segments/year on SkyWest (doing business as Horizon Air, Alaska Airlines regional affiliate.). I've never experienced a problem.

I Never fly United if I can help it. I have flown United Express to SFO and never a problem, at least not in the air, which is what matters most to me.  United terminal services at SFO leaves much to be desired.

SkyWest is a chameleon airline that does business (operates) as a number of different airlines. What are your SkyWest issues and what would you like to see them replaced with?

Well, that's great.

My Skywest bad experiences have been in Denver.  I don't like it when people bend my passport irresponsibly to "scan" it particularly when it is not necessary. I'm not talking about a single bend, but a lengthy, passport damaging twisting action that makes you want to grab it back from them.. I also don't like it when people spit on their fingers before they take your boarding pass to look at it.  And I don't like it when they change gates and don't tell you.  Generally, the gate experience with Skywest has been like herding goats when it comes to DIA.

I am sure that almost 100% of my Skywest problems have been related to the Skywest staff in DIA.  I don't have these problems when it is United staff.

I have been taking only United flights in and out of Denver, so for my flying the problem is avoided.

Although I realize everyone has different experiences, Skywest remains on my "banned airline" list because I find the people I've dealt with (at Skywest Denver) to be obnoxious.

Renaissance hotels I have a 50% success rate with so I am reluctant to book with them.  Full service Marriott, mostly fine, but watch out for the many dated ones, Residence Inns, mostly great, same with Courtyard.  Towneplace Suites- stayed in one, it was great.

I tend to go to places that treat me well and stay away from the ones that don't.

Definitely sounds irritating. I'd be wrenching my passport back too in that case.  Are the staff actually SkyWest gate employees or other airline specific employees?  I had recurring issues regarding something specific with Alaska/Horizon employees at a specific airport  last year. I went online and filled out a survey, exposing my issues, not trashing the airline, but sandwiching my issues in between praise for all that they do well. To my utter surprise, I received a personal phone call from the gate supervisor of the airline at this airport. We had a very productive discussion.  I was told that the employees would recieve updated training and then I was given a $50 voucher for my time and troubles.

One thing that concerns me about SkyWest is the recent penalties that the FAA has sanctioned the airline with, for maintenance inspection violations on a couple of their aircrafts with regards to landing gear and cargo doors.  I'm watching this closely.  Also, right now they're prohibited from flying above 33,000-35,000 feet on specific aircrafts.  Next time I fly them, I plan on chatting up a pilot if possible. If the pilot is concerned, then I'm concerned.

I don't fly in/out of DIA often, but FWIW, my experiences there have been more negative than positive.

The problem is, you take your passport back, you don't fly.  In these days of non refundable tickets, it is a pretty big hit to abandon a flight and go with someone else.  I did politely say something but of course I got a nonsense reply.  I did file a complaint note with United but of course they do what their customer service reps seem to do normally, which is not read past the first two lines and send a note of apology for the inconvenience and a discount code.  This does nothing to solve the problem, unfortunately.  The woman was about 10-15 years past retirement age, so hopefully she is not there now.   It was definitely SkyWest employees - I do check for that.

The guy licking his fingers before handling passports/boarding passes was a younger guy, maybe in his 30's.

The only choice I've had is to avoid SkyWest and encourage others to avoid Skywest since they were not responsive to my issues.  I realize that safety is a concern with respect to your note about the FAA restriction.  However, in my mind, the Skywest solution is for them to cease operations.  I *know* they aren't the worst airline in "the" world, but they were most certainly the worst airline in "my" world.  United should get rid of them, they bring down the already not too high brand.

Although I'm glad your experiences with them are not bad, I'm done with them, particularly in Denver.

pluto77,

As one who was recently on a SkyWest CRJ7 and had a chance to visit with the Captain before we departed, the altitude and the minimum speed restrictions placed on them are more of a knee jerk reaction by our friendly FAA.  I for one have absolutely no problem flying them and will say from years of controlling them in and out of IAH their pilots are some of the best if not the best of all the regional airlines.  That goes from the days they flew the E120's here right up till I retired.  But do watch it closely and keep me updated on what you find as where there's smoke there may be fire.

I had a problem with their gate staff, not the rest of the operation.  Unfortunately, the problems with the Denver gate staff were sufficiently frustrating to cause me to relegate them to "avoid" status.

This was confusing to me because generally, people in Denver are really nice.

IAHFLYR, Excellent!  I have satisfactory confidence in OO's pilots, and seeing them consistently physically inspecting their aircrafts before hopping into the driver seat is something I appreciate. Compliance with AD's is obviously important too. The devil is in the the details.  Compliance needs to be 100%.  Inspection schedules must be adhered to on time for all aircrafts, not - most - aircrafts, Yee?

Absolutely agree and one reason I've stopped renting airplanes as I have no idea of the maintenance the FBO is performing, but you're oh so correct pluto77

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

L need to fly from St Petersburg, Russia to Prague.  I am not sure I can get on an airline that has any rating at all.  I will most likely fly Aeroflot since they are the only non-stop and most problems are with connections..  Any one have an opinion?

If you are going to St. Petersburg, maybe someone there or in Prague will have some advice for you.  From what I can see, it is run by a regional airline - Rossiya Airlines

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

No flights on Rossiya.  Travel sites show Aeroflot, a Russian airline, non-stop and Chech Airline with a direct flight.  The CA flight will not get me to Prague by the time I need, Aeroflot will.  Problem seems to be when connecting.  However will I make it at all?

I guess I can't help you.  I looked on flightstats and it said that the CSA flight and the Aeroflot flight were the same one on Rossiya, but realistically I am not familiar with that part of Europe and the research tool I used apparently did not help...so best of luck to you.

I'm sure there are qualified professional travel agents that can help you.  That's where we are supposed to go if we do not feel comfortable doing it ourselves...

The Russian airline, Aeroflot runs is a daily service between St Petersburg and Prague at around $150 one way. Czech airlines runs less often, 3 or 4 times a week but is cheaper at around $120 each way. Both are 3 star Airlines

Jsucool76 Gold

A lot of people hate on RyanAir, but I flew them CGN-STN r/t and didn't find it to be that bad of an experience. The seats were comfortable, there was ample legroom, and the staff was all very friendly.

There's a lot of hate out there for RyanScare, and if you read their annual accounts you'll see why, they dont make their profit from flying planes, they're profit derives from their myriad of fees, many charged at the airport due to minor infringements of the rules by unaware travellers. People don't like the "Gotcha, here's a bill for €50" experience.

Personally I've flown all over Europe with RyanScare, for £1 (once), £5 (once), £10 (twice) and £20/£25 (many times) each way inc all fees. I make sure I read and double read all the T&Cs to avoid the traps, and travel for a pittance on their well kept fleet of new planes, with adequate legroom for the short-haul flights offered.

I can't wait for O'Leary to deliver on his oft-promised £10 flights to USA. I'll be there!

brightlybob wrote:

Travel for a pittance on their well kept fleet of new planes, with adequate legroom for the short-haul flights.

What's not to like about that?

bradrimm Member

I agree Ryan Air is great - provided you're aware of their heavy fees as a LCC with stringent rules.

*lucky1* Silver

I Don't like to fly myself..

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

GNG in Bangladesh is just plain scary.  I think they went out of business. Biman isn't much better.

j&c Platinum

Boo Spirit-bashing! We love Spirit and fly as often as we can. On every single flight we have received outstanding service - pre-flight, in-air and post-flight - including once, when upon cancellation, Spirit took action to re-route us and our rental car. We travel on lowest possible non-member fares, carry a backpack only and sit in a seat Spirit chooses for us - never incur upcharges. The rules are clear and we have experienced unforgettable travel we could never have justified without the low-priced airfare. Like for $75 RT, working remotely in Fort Lauderdale in front of a 30 foot wide floor-to-ceiling bank of windows on the intracoastal and gleefully watching a parade of boats large and small pass by. C

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Glad to see you enjoy flying them and that they offer you the ability to take trips and travel that you normally would not be able to.

I have a dear friend that his Son-In-Law is a Spirit Captain based in FLL so I won't bash them too much other that to ask this....have they started using the "coin operated lavs"?

Just kidding j&c, they have a great number of flights out is IAH and with me crossing over to AA for a couple of trips in the near future I might just find out when the Captain is flying to IAH and book a trip on his flight.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...