4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2016 1:25 PM by ucfknight RSS

Any tips for Japan - Osaka Marriott Miyako & Tokyo Prince Sakura Tower

keplertracker Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a Platinum member and have booked Marriott properties in Japan.   My family of four is staying 3 nights at the Osaka Marriott Miyako in late March 2016.   Are there connecting rooms available in this property?   Also what does Platinum status grant my family during our stay?   From the reviews, the Osaka hotel has world class views and is in an easy part of town to explore (next to a railway station). 

After Osaka, I have a 5 night stay at the Tokyo Prince Sakura Tower.  Any insider tips (where to sightsee, where to eat nearby, what rooms to request)?  

If anyone has been to either of these hotels, I'd appreciate any tips of what to do (or to avoid).

Thanks and Marriott On!

Mark

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Osaka, Japan Marriott Hotels & Resorts Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel
Tokyo, Japan Autograph Collection The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Any tips for Japan - Osaka Marriott Miyako & Tokyo Prince Sakura Tower
    hanami Platinum

As a Gold, I've had stellar experiences at both properties. Hope your family will too!

Not sure about connecting rooms at the Osaka Miyako as I was traveling alone. I paid a bargain last-minute rate for a standard room and asked at check-in if there were any rooms with a view. I didn't know anything about Abeno Harukas skyscraper, and this was my first stay as Gold, so I thought I might get lucky and and see some rooftops from my room, but I was blown away by the view in the corner room upgrade (thanks to the friendly older gentleman who checked me in). Probably depends on the corner, but from mine (the corner furthest from the elevators) I had great western and northern views, and could see out into the bay and make out the lights of Kobe. Also, Gold gave access to the incredibly spacious staffed club lounge, which has breakfast and snack times throughout the day. Looking forward to going back sometime.

Haven't spent too much time around the hotel. Probably go to Osaka Castle and take the subway to Dotonbori at night, but Kyoto is more interesting to me. Since you're on top of Tennoji station, basically all of town is easily and quickly reached. There's also a mall, grocery, and food court in the station. Ah, there is an okonomiyaki restaurant inside that shopping complex that I really liked. The cooks prepare the okonomiyaki in front of you on the grill surface that spans the length of the counter. Few seats, not the kind of sit-down establishment to take reservations, but the desserts and sweets food court level is a few steps away, with ladies hawking Japanese delicacies of all kinds, so waiting won't be a bore for the kids.

I've stayed several times at the Prince Sakura Tower because I was so impressed the first time. The staff are friendly and accommodating, as they are at most Japanese hotels, but they made an especially comfortable atmosphere. There's a corner room at the end of each floor that has a long curved window (very long!) overlooking the garden, with Shinigawa skyscrapers in the distance. Absolutely love this room. The hot tubs in these rooms are enormous. The breakfast vouchers I received as Gold provide for a satisfying meal with many options, including cooked-to-order omelets, in a small restaurant that has a relaxing view of a sloped land- and waterscape, which also extends to behind the check-in counter.

The Starbucks inside Shinigawa station has a unique design that makes for good people-watching, perhaps warranting a stop on at least one morning before you start the day's adventures. I don't stay in the area though; the surrounding area is mostly a business district. But access to the rest of the city is very good because it's on the Yamanote ring line.

So far, I've stayed at both during the late fall and winter, so the room availability will probably be much tighter when you are visiting. But it seems the staff at both properties treat the guests as well as they can. I received both corner rooms by simply asking if they had rooms with a good view, not explicitly asking for an upgrade.

Hope your family will have great experiences in Osaka and Tokyo!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Wow, great write-up, hanami! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!

keplertracker Platinum

Thanks so much hanami for your response!   My family and I are looking forward to visiting Japan.   We're thinking about at least one day trip from Osaka to Hiroshima and then possibly one more to Kyoto (leave early in morning, shinkansen to Kyoto, then take bullet train back to Osaka)  

Each hotel sounds wonderful in its own way as a great place to unwind, partake in Japanese cuisine and then get a great nights sleep to rejuvenate for the next day's adventure!

If you need any advice on Marriotts in Philly, SF, or ski places in the US West, let me know

Arigato!

ucfknight Platinum

I have to agree.  I stayed at this Marriott in November 2015 and it's one of the best.  First class all of the way, pretty much in a major train station, tallest building in Japan, great view from room, free tickets to go to observatory.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...