10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2015 11:19 AM by brightlybob RSS

rewards. do they really matter

brooklynlobster Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My question is do all Marriott's have to let you use or points any time you want

Or they have restriction l was told I couldn't use my points at the Hollywood Marriott in fla  las t March they told me

Is black out that week  they offered me other properties in the area. But I saved my points and went any way

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: rewards. do they really matter
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just like airline awards tickets hotels put a limited number of rooms per night that are available for reward bookings. Some properties are in such high demand that quite often you cannot even find a room using reward points as they sell out the property most nights, particularly during their high seasons.  However; once in a while you might luck into a spot that has reward nights available on short notice when six months before nothing was open, so always check and recheck those places you wish to visit especially if you are able to travel on short notice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great answer IAHFLYR!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Why thank you, good to know that you notice my ability to provide a useful response every now and again!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Don't get too excited, by your own admittance you provide meaningful responses "now and again"!

LOL

702rugbyref Platinum

I just tried to use points for Leeds UK and was only able to use for one day and not my other days so I think is discriminates when they can be used....otherwise I am sure Vegas would be full of MR members on New Years Eve instead of gouging visitors $500-1200/nt.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This post follows a long tradition where Marriotts "no blackout date" speil creates an expectation that it's possible to reserve a hotel room for points if there's a room available for cash. It's not.

No blackout dates means every Marriott must offer its entire standard room inventory for redemption every night of the year except a few dates, where, with permission from corporate, the hotel can restrict the numbers of redemption rooms available. Hence whilst there are no blackout dates when the hotel refuses all redemptions, there are a few dates in every hotels year (and it varies property to property) where the number of redemption rooms are heavily restricted, meaning you have to book very early to get one of the few redemption rooms available.

For true "last standard room" redemption availabilty you have to look to Hilton and SPG.

Its important to realise however that Marriott points are really easy to redeem, when I was reserving my monthlong USA/Canada roadtrip I was able to redeem every night at local Marriotts had I chosen to do so. In fact I find Marriott points far easier to redeem than IHG points or Airline miles.

OH, and to the question, "rewards, do they matter?"... I've just completed a monthlong vacation redeeming a mixture of Marriott and IHG points. I spent a total of 950,000 points redeeming $10,000 of hotel stays. So, yes! They very much do matter!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I received an anniversary card from Marriott Rewards a few day ago (digitally) congratulating me on my 14th year.  They mentioned that I have earned during that period over 6 million points.  As of today I have under 100,000 in my account (those 45000 nights at the Essex House add up).

Needless to say - THOSE POINTS PAID FOR MANY STAYS, MANY MILES AND MANY GIFT CARDS!!

702rugbyref Platinum

6 million pts! HOLY ****!

And misterchk earned those 6 million points in only 14 years, wow, that's a lot of spending in not a lot of time. Ive been a member for 10 years and earned 2 million over about 370 paid BIB nights. And those nights weren't cheap FFI or CY.

Thats some loyalty there, misterchk

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...