14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2015 11:00 AM by brightlybob RSS

Top 5 Places to Visit in the Pacific NW

joshm Member
Currently Being Moderated

photo-1438955224980-4f333574560d.jpeg

Here’s the deal: You’ve been dying to get away for a few days but time hasn’t been your friend. Life can hold you down sometimes, but not this time. You’ve got a long weekend ahead of you and the best coast, I mean, the west coast, is at your finger tips . Whether by plane or by car, you’re headed to the great Pacific NW for some R&R.

Where are you staying? Where are you eating? Libations? Attractions? We want it all. Share your experiences in the NW with us, and we’ll collate your submissions into a post all about the region and the best of the best, as shared by you, the community!

Obviously, since I wrote this and I am from the Northwest. I’ll bat leadoff:

Places to go:

• Portland - Duh.

The best beer in the country (come at me, beer experts! https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/159131#159131 ), some of the best food in the country, and you’re within an hour of the Ocean, Mt. Hood, The Columbia River gorge, and a slew of hikes and trails to blaze (see what I did there?). Now, don't get me wrong, it's going to be a rebuilding year with the Trailblazers, but we'll be okay.

• Bend

More beer. More outdoor wonders (Mt. Bachelor, the Deschutes River), and a gorgeous backdrop of central Oregon.

• Lincoln City

You guessed it, more beer. The Oregon coast is beautiful, and viewpoints of the Ocean dot the entire coastal highway. Great local seafood. IAHFLYR created a wonderful album that showcases the Oregon Coast! https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1486#comment-18795

• Crater Lake

The deepest lake in the world. ‘Nuff said. It’s a sight to see, with camping and lodging all around!

• Seattle

Pike Place Market, fresh seafood, the Puget Sound. Seattle reminds me a great deal of home (Portland) but with more water! dth61 made a great post that mentions Seattle and more: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/124419#124419

This is just the tip of the iceberg that is the Pacific Northwest. razorbackfan knows what I’m talkin’ about:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/razorbackfan/blog/2013/10/31/fall-in-the-northwestsouthern-hospitality

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Portland City Center
Portland, Oregon, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott City Center
Bend, Oregon, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Bend Near Mt. Bachelor
Seattle, Washington, USA
  • Re: Top 5 Places to Visit in the Pacific NW
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight, joshm!!

Say there was only enough time to visit one brewery, which would it be?  Which beer would we have to try?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Well, there are a handful or brewery locations in PDX that are worth checking out:

> Burnside Brewing

> Bridgeport Brewing

The following have breweries in PDX but started in Bend:

> 10 Barrel Brewing

> Deschutes Brewery

You won't go wrong with any of them.

KatieC Member

New story in The New York Times on Portland! What do you think of these recs, joshm?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-portland.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Awesome list joshm!  I think we need to add some stuff to this list:

• Boeing Factory Tour & Museum of Flight for the AvGeeks like myself, IAHFLYR, pluto77, ks77, clebert, bejacob, etc
    • Tillamook Cheese Factory in OR
    • Oregon Rail Heritage Center for railroad nuts like myself and superchief1 where the SP 4449 is stored
    • Oh, and at Pike Place Market is home to ChefSteps.  This crazy cooking lab is where I get some of my recipes and ideas from and they do allow visitors if you make arrangements in advance http://www.chefstep.com 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

kharada46, yes, the Museum of Flight is excellent!  Been there, done that.  Highly recommend.  We also visited the Capitol in Olympia which is fun to tour, and the grounds and conservatory are beautiful.  We went to a wedding in Ocean Shores and visited the beach and had some amazing oysters.  We also enjoyed Bellingham which is a nice little college town.  And we went to Vancouver and did the Aquarium, Stanley Park, Gastown, etc.  Also drove PCH from Washington to SoCal one year which was quite a road trip.

kharada46, as a PS to the above, not sure how much time you spend in Florida, but the TPA airport has a mini-museum of aviation history that I found fascinating.  There's a model of the airport and miniatures of various planes, etc.  Tampa-Clearwater claims to be the birthplace of commercial aviation.  Also, the airport in Naples, FL has a large collection of aviation memorabilia that is worth a visit even if you aren't flying in or out of there (no commercial flights there - only charters - I ended up there by accident when forced to return a faulty rental car to Alamo and that was the nearest Alamo location).  And of course we did the Wright Brothers National Memorial at Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills, NC, which I'd highly recommend.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Will have to look into those places clebert!  Have never been to Florida (yet), but I'll keep that in mind if I ever make it to TPA.  Thanks for the tips! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks for the shout out joshm

I just saw Potato Champion on "Triple D" a couple of weeks back, ever visited the joint and if so what is your favorite?

Another Portland and Seattle spot is Salty's Waterfront Seafood Grills - Hours.  They have great Happy Hours and Sunday Brunch to go along with gorgeous views of downtown Seattle from the Alki location.

S3600013.JPG

IAHFLYR, I second your recommendation of Salty's.  We took the water taxi which worked great.  I got fish tacos and a spicy margarita.  We sat on the deck and had a great view.  Good times.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And cannot forget to visit Mt. Hood east of Portland.  A Memorial Day weekend and Timberline Lodge received 9" of snow the night before.

S3600056.JPG

Then east of Seattle visit Snoqualmie Falls winter or summer.

800375-R1-14A.jpgSnow3.jpgS3600079.JPG

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

In case you might have not seen earlier post regarding Pacific NW:

Here's a Suggestion for West Coast Travel

702rugbyref Platinum

Great stuff...I would have tried the Oregon Coast as one must do/see as well north of Coos Bay!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

That's it joshm

Just add another load of destinations to my bucket list

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

That's it joshm

Just add another load of destinations to my bucket list

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...