11 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2010 12:06 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Ko Olina - too much construction nearby?

texasgirl Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone been to Ko Olina lately?  We go every Christmas, but obviously haven't been yet this year. Scheduled for week of Dec 13.  Too much Disney construction going on?  Any new restaurants in immediate area?  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
HI, USA
  • Re: Ko Olina - too much construction nearby?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

As of October 12th, Disney is moving forward:  Ko Olina Resort Moving Forward.  From the model and the photos posted online, the Disney construction activity will be inescapable to guests at the JW Ihilani.  With construction well underway, the noise levels will vary depending upon the location of your guest room/villa. Here are articles and photos that may be of interest:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I can understand why you wouldn't want the dust, noise, etc from the construction to interfere with an otherwise great stay at JW Ihilani.  We were there during construction of the very nearby Marriott timeshares and the only time we paid it any attention was during the tour for points.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
    Lots of noise, fairly disruptive.

texasgirl Platinum 1 Reviews

TJCNewYork - thank you for the links!

And thanks to all for your feedback

vpplayer Platinum

Thanks TJC, I was not aware that a website was tracking the progress. 

Has anyone stayed at the Ko Olina Vacation Club recently?  How disruptive is the construction to the south end of the property?  My next timeshare stay there is first week of April 2010.

catzilla Gold

Has anyone been there in the last few weeks, perhaps over the Christmas week to report in on how much impact there is on the JW?  We had planned a trip out there in April but now I am very hesitant to go based on what I see.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Catzilla

For an update on the construction at Disney's Vacation Club Ko Olina, check out YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js_Pc6zVoZM or DisneyDean's album on Photobucket: http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af239/DisneyDean/Disney%20Hawaii/?start=40

catzilla Gold

Thanks for the update and the links. 

Can anyone suggest an alternative to this resort?  It seems the Hawaii Marriotts I've looked at are not all that attractive for a host of reasons.

On Kauai the options are either under the airport flight path and near the cruise ship port, or at the Vacation Club that seems sparse in terms of amenities.

The JW at Ko Olina is in the process of being ruined by the Disney hotel construction with Disney hotel patrons to follow soon thereafter to ruin it...

tjcnewyork Platinum

"On Kauai the options are either under the airport flight path and near the cruise ship port, or at the Vacation Club that seems sparse in terms of amenities."

Marriott's Kauai Beach Club and the Vacation Club are part of the same complex.  Over the past year, both have undergone a complete refurbishment inside and outside.  Renovation of one of the restaurants may be nearing completion or completed. 

Because of the hotel's location and proximity to Lihue Airport, there is the mistaken perception that aircraft fly directly overhead.  From first hand experience, this is the exception rather than the rule.  Except for one privately-owned island, Nihau which lies west of Kuaui, the lion's share of air traffic is to the island's northeast, east and southeast.

The Kauai resort sits on the westerly shore of the gentle Nawiliwili Bay and their beach faces south which is *ideal* for sun bathing. The bay opens to the Pacific Ocean but a reef provides breakers for the waves.  From the resort's palm tree covered pool complex you have expansive views of the bay, the mountains and the blue ocean.  It's wonderful!

Over the past year, renovation construction activity was the source of guest dissatisfaction as one would expect it to be.  Now that activity is done, the gentle laughter of children and ice cubes in your MaiTai may well be the only disturbance to be encountered.

vpplayer Platinum

At Ko Olina Beach Club (oceanview) 2-9 April.  Observations:

1. Construction at Disney Property is on the north end by the JW, and while it is quite prominent, it didn't really bother us, but then again we spent most of the time at the timeshare end.  The construction did not hinder resort services and walkways as far as I could tell.

2.  We were there at spring break and expected crowds, but the entire resort actually seemed sparser than at the same time in 2009.  Not that i am complaining.

3. There were no construction noises at the timeshare property.  Why not?  Because there has been NO additional construction at all, interior or exterior since out last visit April 2009.  The newest tower (Nai'a) is still half occupied, and half shell.  From the beach you can look right through the windows clear on through to the other side.  At least the exterior appears attractive.

4.  The timeshare pitches have changed considerably, from the relaxed low pressure presentation we experienced in 2005, 2007, and (to a lesser degree) 2009 to a much higher pressure situation, seeming to reflect a desperation for sales.  Unfortunately, the tactics our salesperson used are deceptive at best, and it became obvious that he not was interested in meeting our needs at all, just deadset on making a sale no matter what.  Which wouldn't bother me except for the false infomation he spewed.  They are pushing the points exchange harder than ever.  I drank the koolaid in 2007 and bought the oceanview week.  I have no regrets about that, and I love Ko Olina, but our sales rep convinced me that our next week will be a resale.

5.  The freebies aren't worth the insulting sales presentation.  It's sad, because it was the low pressure approach that sealed the deal in 07.  MVCI, you're better than that!  Or used to be...  </end rant>

Having said all that, the stay really was a wonderful week away from the real world, and we are still in love with the resort. Our villa was on the 14th floor and although it was the tail end of the season, we saw a few whales and some nice sunsets from our lanai.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Great observations, thanks for posting that VPPlayer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...