10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2015 7:09 AM by dcr022002 RSS

Marriott app feedback - Automatic logouts/timeouts, etc.

timandjulz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The app on Android has continued to improve.  Thanks for making my life easier.  But there is room for improvement.

Automatic Logout - not!

Allow me to configure "Never logout" or "Remember password" option that never expires.  Typing a password while driving is unsafe and that is usually when I open the app.  I have had to pull over so many times to type in a password.  Also, I use long secure passwords which take a long time to enter.

If I haven't entered my password in some short period of time and am trying to view credit card or other PI data then go ahead and ask for confirmation.  But I don't consider my hotel reservation PI data.

I have had the password expire during the reservation.  After a meeting, I want it to be easy to get back to the hotel.  Open Marriott app, navigate to my hotel.

My phone already provides a lock mechanism.  If I don't choose to use that then the Marriott app should respect that.  Otherwise the lock mechanism protects the Marriott app.  You could even make me acknowledge that if you wanted to protect the company.

Use phone map application

Give the ability to open the default map application.  And do so as early as possible.  i.e. I should open the app and see my reservation for today.  My likely next steps, in order of likelihood are:

1) Driving to the hotel - immediately jump to the phone's default navigation app.  Update: This is already available on the reservation as shown in the first screen.  (And ONLY on the first screen)  Diverging arrow icon takes you to the navigation app.

2) Sharing hotel information (name, address and phone number) via email, text or social media post.  Update: Tested again... no way to copy text in the reservation information.

3) Calling the hotel.  Update: This is already available on the reservation as shown in the first screen.  (And ONLY on the first screen)  Phone icon takes you to the dialer.

4) Reviewing reservation details.  I actually don't do this much.

99% of the time I only do #1 and #2.

Copy/paste

Make it easy to copy/paste hotel information.  Press and hold on text should let me highlight.  At the least press and hold should give me options to copy the name, address, phone and/or reservation information.

I always find I am needing to share information with a colleague via text or email.  This would be very helpful.

Message was edited by: timandjulz Updated that navigation and dial ability is there but only on the first page.  If you view the reservation you can't navigate or dial.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott app feedback - Automatic logouts/timeouts, etc.
    timandjulz Platinum

Please see this post from 2011

Android app needs some work

NathalieF

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

I agree...I almost always am a number 1/2 guy as well. Thanks!

mevangelisto Platinum

I completely agree on the types of things I want easy access to when accessing the app. Currently it's way too cumbersome to do these things.

I have to say though that I'm not experiencing the persistent login problems. The apps has lost it a couple of times, but seemed to be right after an update to the app. I'm using a Samsung S4.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here, timandjulz!! I like your suggestions, they remind me of how easy it is to travel with a mobile boarding pass.  Right there, on the home screen when you need it. 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Not in my experience. The last time I did that I waited in the boarding queue long enough that the screen saver came up. By the time I unlocked it and found the app and found my boarding pass again I had to stand to one side and let 20 people pass me. A different glare on each one's face.

timandjulz Platinum

Does anyone know of a reason to check in via the app?  I see zero benefit.  You still have to stand in line to get your key.  They still asked for my credit card.  ????

I hear another major hotel chain lets you walk in and just ask for your key.  They already have your credit card from the reservation and there is no reason to assume some weirdo is going to try to check in using your name since you are probably going to show up right behind them.

Anyway, like I said I don't see a reason to use this feature of the app.  Besides the extra points of course.  But that is temporary.

The biggest downside to app check in is that you don't get to verify an upgrade.

If they could develop the app to allow you to check in with the CC you have on file in the app and get your upgrades automatically based on status and have the room locks made NFC compatible so you could open them with your phone then I can see an advantage.

mevangelisto Platinum

Yes, the lack of verifying an upgrade is definitely one of the major downsides of app check in.

A lot of the places I've been to have a separate line for pre-checkin folks. It's definitely been a time saver in a couple of cases. Usually though, the front desk is not very crowded and I just walk right up and don't bother looking for the pre-checkin spot.

The one benefit to pre-checkin is being able to specify your expected arrival time on those occasions when you might be getting there early and want an early check in. Getting the confirmation that the room is ready in those cases is nice to have. Some hotel app checkins, like Hilton, don't even let you specify an early checkin time. So the flexibility with the Marriott app is a nice touch.

Extra points for using the app to checkin? Is this really a thing? I haven't noticed it.

Mark

I've got a Samsung with an S Pen. I can copy/paste the address without a problem. Using the pen. Without it I couldn't figure a way to copy.

dcr022002 Platinum 16 Reviews

is it just me...I use the app to check in the day prior to my reservation, and that works fine.  However, if I go back into the reservation the day of, it says that I have no reservations?  I would like to perhaps get the hotel address, but no reservations appear.

I asked a FFInn manager and he told me that the idea is to get everyone to check in 24 hours early not to have a useful app?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...