37 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2016 7:16 AM by psudad RSS

Renaissance - Aix en Provence, France

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently stayed at the Ren in Aix en Provence.

Very nice hotel except for the stained carpeting in my room.  Breakfast was included, no CL.  A bit of a hike to get to the Old Town where all the action is located but... I considered it "needed exercise" after all the food and wine I was consuming! 

P1060851.JPG

P1060852.JPG

P1060853.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Aix-en-Provence, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel
  • Re: Renaissance - Aix en Provence, France

P1060854.JPG

P1060855.JPG

P1060857.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

P1060858.JPG

P1060860.JPG

P1060862.JPG

P1060864.JPG

P1060865.JPG

P1060871.JPG

View from my room:

P1060874.JPG

Welcome Gift (not the Platinum Welcome Gift vs. Points):

P1060863.JPG

The Platinum Welcome Gift (instead of points):

P1060870.JPG

P1060868.JPG

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

looks and sounds nice. a great area in france

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I appreciate this post and the photos.

Thanks much, Jerry and Pluto77!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Nice.  How was their breakfast spread?  We have had some nice ones in Belgium and Italy.

As I recall, it was pretty good.  No CL so it was a buffet in the dining room.  Hot and cold offerings, fruit, cereals, bread/pastry.

Great.  I loved breakfast at the Rome Grand Flora - smoked salmon, eggs, croissant and chilled Prosecco, on the roof with a few of St Peters and all of Rome.  I could get used to that.  The Marriott in Ghent also had a wonderful buffet and you could sit, looking out over the canal.  Thought it was funny, though, that in both Belgian Marriotts (Ghent and Brussels) they still had the same waffle machine we see in all the Marriott properties here in the states.  In Ghent and Brussels, there are waffle vendors every block or two.

Yep, I too have been to all of those hotels.

Guess we are on the same wave length in vacation traveling! 

Staying there this coming May.  Looking forward to it.  Also staying at the Marriott in Lyon.  Any reviews on that one?

if you happen to get to Arles ( would highly recommend it ) go to a little restaurant off the main square called La Gueule du Loup

if you happen to get to Arles ( would highly recommend it ) go to a little restaurant off the main square called La Gueule du Loup

No, not yet.  Probably going to Lyon next year so I will look forward to your review! 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I appreciate the post about this hotel.  We are staying there in November and we actually will enjoy the hike to town.  We have to walk a lot when in France to burn the excess calories that we consume there.  What did you really enjoy doing around Aix?  I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks  phctourist

phctourist, how was your stay in November?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Unfortunately, I took ill in November and had to cancel my trip.  It turned out to be non Hodgkins Lymphoma and I spent 8 days in the hospital instead of two weeks in France.  I hope to do that (France) trip at some point in the future.

that area is one of my favorite places in France

So sorry to hear, phctourist.  I too hope you can make that trip again soon.  JerryL, if you have any particular favorites, please share.  We are staying 8 nights in the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence with day trips to Nimes, Arles, Avignon, Les Baux, St Remy, Gordes, with a stop in Chateauneuf du Pape, on the way to Lyon.  We will stay two nights in Lyon, to include dinner at Paul Bocuse's restaurant.  Then off to Paris for 7 nights in Le Marais, where we have rented an apartment.  This will be our third time renting an apartment in Paris.  Loved the last two experiences. I see much good food and wine in our future this spring.

IN arles eat at la guele du loup it is a small restaurant about a block from the main square in arles . arles is a wonderful old roman town

The day you go to Les Baux, do also include the Carrieres de Lumieres!  It is just a couple of minutes away and well worth your time!

http://carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home

I Think st remy is where the sanitarian that van gogh was in

Yes, it is just outside of St. Remy.  Worth a visit.

In Nimes, I ate at L'Imprevu. The chef used to work under Paul Boscuse in Lyon.  It was very good.

We are dining at Paul Bocuse in Lyon, during our two nights there.  Cannot wait!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Have you been to Lourmarin?  If not, it's one of the most charming villages in France, and has a stellar market (one of the best) on Fridays.

In Avignon, my two favorite restaurants were Fou de Fafa and Traiteur des Teinturiers.  Both were very, very good!

suzysharp Platinum

So sorry to hear that! Sending prayers and good vibes your way that you will beat lymphoma and get to enjoy future travels!

Just checked it out.  Looks like a great recommendation.  We'll be spending a day in Arles and looking for a lunch spot.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Looks like a lovely property!! Thanks for sharing!

Fair enough, Newhiltonmembr

mgcandfnc Platinum 5 Reviews

We stayed there in June.  Lovely property.  The photos posted are a good representation of the rooms.  One nice touch in the room was the movement activated light at floor level when you got up during the night. Things to do -- well if you have a car depending on the time of the year you can drive to the lavender fields and we also managed a day drive from Aix to Cannes and then along the coast to St Tropez for dinner and back to the hotel.  Breakfast was classic European style mix of cold & hot service.  Really top quality food all round.  We dined in the restaurant one evening (serious storm so no walking into the old town ) -- excellent service and food.  Decent wine list too.

IMG_2848.jpgPaul Cezanne - Aix en Provence

IMGP3166.jpgLavender fields - Provence

Great recommendations!  Thanks!  I believe we may have already penciled in your Arles restaurant recommendation, as well as the sites recommended in St Remy and Les Baux.  In Nimes, we planned on playing lunch by ear.  We plan on starting the day at the market in Nimes.  If we saw good stuff, we would put it in the pack for a picnic lunch - with a split of wine, as we hike around the city sites.  If not, they we would hit a local café or something on the way to Les Baux.  We will be having all our dinners, for the first 6 nights, in Aix, since we like to be able to walk to dinner from our hotel, if possible.  Wouldn't want to have a great dinner in Avignon or Nimes, with wine, then face an hour + drive back.  :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...