9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2015 2:23 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Traveling with our Furry Friends

joshm Member
Currently Being Moderated

picjumbo.com_GOPR0024.jpg

Sometimes our furry friends need a getaway, too.

I was recently inspired by h.habbach and her photo to ponder the community’s travels and the four legged friends we often leave behind, or don’t.

For example, my grandmother structures her travels around the need to be close and/or accessible to her dogs: Summer and Bo.

If she’s driving somewhere, it’s to a place that is relatively close, such that she can return in good time to her second set of grandkids (we hardly count as grandchildren anymore). She rarely goes anywhere without a plan to return to those two, both of which I secretly believe are part human. They may in fact be two of the smartest dogs I have ever seen. One of them talks to me.

Seriously. And I may or may not talk back.

Now, she hasn’t flown in a while, not since owning these the two goof balls. If she did, I’m almost certain that Summer and Bo would be going on an adventure!

How do you travel with loved ones; the four legged folk, that is. Do you bring them along every time? Board them? Enlist the help of friends and family to take care of the little ones while you’re away? MOST importantly, can we see pictures? Please?!

There are some great threads by the folks in the community about pets as well. Take a peek, and share your thoughts:

Re: Pet Friendly Marriott Hotels?

The specified item was not found.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United Kingdom
United States
  • Re: Traveling with our Furry Friends
    702rugbyref Platinum

My labrador Rolexx, is my buddy. We travel quite often together but not flying. He is awesome in a room and does not bark unless someone bangs something or knocks on the door. However, I have found few pet positive Marriott hotels here in the Southwest where we spend most of our trips together. There is a nice one in St. George and Cedar City Utah that I would recommend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Thanks for sharing, 702rugbyref!

Have any photos of Rolexx? I'm sure the community would love to see a picture!

702rugbyref Platinum

Rolexx August 2011 019.jpg

702rugbyref Platinum

Rolexx August 2011 006.jpg

702rugbyref Platinum

RolexxXmas2012.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

This is such a well written post, joshm

We have run the whole gamut with our furry "children."  We have taken them camping, on road trips and occasionally on flights, however we haven't taken them with us in a while now.  In recent years, we've either boarded them (put them in "doggy jail") or had a close friend of the family "dog sit."  We're happy with our boarding facility, although we know our animals really miss us and we hate to do it, but...  I have done some research on Care.com, and although I've never taken the plunge, it looks like there are a lot of trustworthy people out there who are interested in "dog sitting," including college students, vet techs/assistants and some people who do it sort of as their primary job.  For those who enjoy pets, I think it would be a great part-time or second job. 

Derby Dog with Marriott gift cards, looking forelorn.

IMAG1091.jpg

"Mama, please don't go..." Or "Take me with you, Mama!"

joshm Member

Love this!

Thanks, pluto77. I love the reference to a boarding facility as 'doggy jail'. How have they done on flights? I feel like the spectrum is quite large with regard to the ways in which animals react to flying. Hopefully they do just fine.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

They have done good on flights in the past.  They had to remain in their soft sided mesh carrier under the seat.  I don't know how they would do these days.  They are getting older and seem to have more separation anxiety than when they were younger.

A couple of weekends ago while seated on a flight, I observed a lady board with her small dog.  She was just holding it in her arms.  I also noticed a leash.  I thought it was strange.  Maybe they have relaxed the rules regarding small pets in the passenger cabin, or maybe it was a type of service/therapy dog.  I don't know.

KatieC Member

Derby Dog is too cute! Thanks for posting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...