7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2015 8:34 PM by jm1991 RSS

Check-in Time (Expectations)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Curious to hear from folks - what are your expectations with regard to check-in times?

I realize that early check-in is something different and, depending upon your perspective, that's a perk, great when you get it, a nice touch, or a potential for disappointment - but what about the posted check-in time? 

Do you treat your check-in time as a guarantee (or is merely a guideline or something for the hotel to aspire to)?  And, if your room isn't ready, what are your expectations? (Suck it up?  Wait patiently?  A free drink?)

Anyway, I hate to sound like a grumpy old man, but ... after an FAA caused flight cancellation/rerouting, my sense of humor was shot...  So, I'm on a quick trip to DFW for a cameo at a conference at a full service Marriott property. Folks coming from all over the country - I think all 50 states were represented... The hotel corresponded with me (and, apparently, other conferees) to arrange airport transportation/pick-up - which is great....  So I show up at the van, and there's a total of ten (10) of us riding the van - the hotel had airline arrival information for all of us, and the driver has a color coded list, so he's checking us off as we board the van.

• Van pulls up at the hotel - I'm first out since I didn't need to wait for luggage - everyone else is staying longer than me.  There are two guests already at the desk in front of me, and only one clerk at the desk....  And ... she ... doesn't ... call ... for ... help .... so ... two minutes later, there are 12 guests in line (in the small lobby, which blocks the elevators) ... and one clerk at the desk...  Didn't they know we were coming?  (Again, the hotel had airline arrival information for all of us, and the van driver called someone before we left the airport....)  But, hey, I'm close to the front of the line, which is great, but I'm feeling for the poor folks a the back of the line....
    • But they're not checking people in...  They're merely asking for guests' mobile phone numbers - because the rooms aren't ready - and they'll call when the rooms are ready, and it's not gonna be in a few minutes....  (Granted, when I get in line, it's not quite 3:00 (the posted check-in time), but it's getting close....)
    • So, I ask if I can go hang out in Concierge Lounge - alas, gee, that doesn't open until 5:00 - so, no...  With the line behind me, I don't bother to mention that I've been admitted to Concierge Lounges all over the world in this situation - it's not uncommon for flights to arrive at inconvenient times - so this didn't seem like uncharted territory to me....)
    • So, I ask if I can have a key to the gym, so I can at least change.... I do get a key to the gym, and I change in the restroom.  (Restroom, but no shower, which is fine....  And there's no trash can in the rest room - and the toilet tank is broken/needs repair - but those are just quibbles.)
    • Conference (in the hotel) starts at 3:40.... No room yet...  By 4:00, a significant number of folks don't have their rooms yet...
    • Fortunately, when I went back to the desk after 7:30 pm, my room was ready...  But I never did get that phone call (or a text)....

Anyway, it all seemed a little weird to me, particularly for a large, conference property....  And it was all the more strange because the conference was in the hotel, and the hotel had such specific arrival information for all of us....

One more tidbit: it was a surprisingly harrowing ride from the airport to the hotel.  I don't expect a van to ride like a limousine, but no one was surprised when the poor woman sitting in the front row moved to the back of the van because she was getting uncomfortable and ill.  Not something you see every day (in a domestic, urban setting).  But I digress...

On a positive note, my room was fine, the view was impressive, the concierge lounge (once it opened) was modest but competent/well stocked (particularly since it was empty), and the (admittedly inexperienced) concierge lounge staffer was extremely nice.... 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fort Worth, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel & Golf Club at Champions Circle
  • Re: Check-in Time (Expectations)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've got to chime in here buddy and say I am so flipping proud of you.....no checked luggage that is awesome.    But come on, the FAA having issues, never happens....oh wait some of the FAA is an issue to start with and then to make matter worse you went to that city to the north.

Seriously, early check-in is as you know a **** shoot.  I've had rooms and yes while attending large conferences in the same city but different hotel were the very same thing happened.  No rooms ready, ballroom full of attendees ready for the conference to start and when the first day meeting is over it's a mad dash to grab your bag (roll-a-board) and get in the conga line for a room.  Ahh, good thing I'm Platinum as I can use the Elite Desk, but wait, so are most of the other conference folks so the line is huge.  BAR TIME!

• Room not ready at or after check-in time I want the Front Desk to call me when it is ready or come to the bar and get me......and now after seeing your suggestion I wilI want that free drink ticket or tickets
    • Room not ready when I asked for an early check-in, same as above and I am not as concerned about a free drink ticket as I will now be after seeing this post
    • I don't treat the check-in time as a guarantee as stuff happens unless the wait becomes excessive then I might treat it as a guarantee depending on how the Front Desk handles it.

A few times we've had offers to select a different room that we reserved and each time turned it down.  Give me an upgrade and I may take it!

Expectation is a clean room that was not tossed together simply to get me into it, do it right and I will be much happier.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

yeah, IAHFLYR, on the ground in Dal-Worth for about 16 hours (and no tourism time), I can get by with carry-on!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

If a property says that check-in time is 3:00pm, I expect my room to be ready at 3:00pm or at least within a reasonable time (say an hour). Most of the time, I don't arrive until after 5, but that's besides the point.

It's a good reason why I like mobile check-in. So far, when I've used it, my room has always been ready when I arrive. I'm sure at some point this perfect streak may end, but I'll ride it as long as it continues.

The one part that bothered me the most was that you never got a call or text. If they took your number with the express purpose of letting you know when the room was ready, there should be some follow up. Sometime between the time your room was ready and 7:30, there was probably at least one moment when the front desk was free of guests allowing time to call or text. I'm not a fan of being told someone will do something and then having them not do it in any situation.

It's not the way to start a stay, but I'm glad things worked out.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I expect my room to be ready at 3pm if check in time is supposed to be 3pm.

Jsucool76 Gold

+1 to bejacob and clebert.

If it says 3:00, I expect my room to be ready at 2:55....5 minutes early is on time, on time is late, late is unacceptable.

The only time I've had to wait for a room was at the RC Pentagon City (as I usually arrive at hotels between like 6-8PM), and we only waited because our flight happened to land early, and we arrived at the hotel like 2.5 hours before check in.

They took our luggage, brought us to the club level, and came up with our luggage about 30 minutes later when our room was ready.

BUT, if you're going to make me wait, at least make it feel like I'm not waiting. Bring me food, or drinks. Hell, if I had to wait in the bar (because the CL was closed, and the line at check in was too long) I'd be getting everything I ordered comped. But, I treat hotel staff the same way I would treat staff in a restaurant. Voice your opinion (unless it's a very serious issue) after your visit is over, and be very pleasant during your stay. No one likes the complainer =] (But I do love to complain)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Ahhh there's nothing like traveling across the country to find out your room isn't ready. Fortunately I have only had this happen to me a couple times, neither of which we are a Marriott. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. Better knock on some wood.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts around this. This is great insight that I'll be sure to pass on to our team for review.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i would expect the room to be ready close to the time of check in give or take half hour.

I would not expect the hotel to have my room ready at 11 or 12 just because i requested it or anything comped just because i arrived early before the posted check in time. If that was the case we would see people arriving too early all the time and expect to be entitled to compensation because they cant plan accordingly.

If arrive after the check in time and they are making me wait an hour or two, then i would expect some sort of compensation, maybe a drink or two or access to lounge if open. 

those are my 2 cents

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...