14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2015 9:39 PM by jerryl RSS

Separate email accounts

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I have separate Marriott Rewards accounts.  We share the same email address for everything, as do a lot of couples.  Today I received an email from Marriott that we must have separate email accounts. Customer service says this is for SECURITY. That means I have to create an email account for my husband and remember to check it every day just to see if Marriott has graced us with a special message regarding a wonderful deal they are offering.  Hilton and Starwood DO NOT require separate email addresses.  Marriott is trying to make it too difficult to do business with them and I do have choices.  I am gold at both of the mentioned hotel chains and diamond at Best Western.  My solution is to use the points in my husbands accounts, not book any nights in his name, cancel the credit card.  Now that will help Marriott with their "security".  Just what is Marriott thinking?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Separate email accounts
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Seriously?  You don't have to check an email account every day and they are pretty simple to create.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

nadine

HELLO, TIME TO WAKE UP  This is 2015!

Most couples in my end of the world have THEIR OWN email accounts.

Most individuals have multiple accounts.

You don't have to check them every day - they will automatically contact you if there is something important they want you or you should know.  All you must do is program MR correctly.

My husband does not care to have his own email account.  I am wide awake and resent the INSULT!  My point is:  Why should Marriott make me do more work just to satisfy them?  I am the customer and I have choices.  And just why would "most individuals have multiple accounts"?  I see NO purpose in multiple accounts unless you are Hillary Clinton and trying to hide something.

Platinum 28 Reviews

nadine

I believe I speak for most that we would like to avoid politicizing this site.

Nice that you are able to "speak for most".  Who elected you King?

Also, your statement that they will "automatically contact you" leaves me puzzled.  Just how do they automatically contact you except for EMAIL?  I do not give out my phone number so that people may sell it to other marketers, if you do, then you just must love to answer the phone multiple times a day just to talk to telemarketers.  Are you possibly suggesting that  Marriott would link one email account to the other?  Now that would make a lot of sense, as that is the problem that Marriott invisions in the first place.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Yes FOR MOST -Politics is not for this site!  Ask any member.  I apologize if I said something to offend you. 

I would, as I believe the majority of members would, request that this site remain a-political.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

nadine,

Yes, it's a pain to have to add an email account if you have historically shared the one. For some people, that may fall into the "small stuff' category, but obviously this has you thinking about switching your business to Marriott's competitors. Like you said, you have choices.

Marriott is choosing to run their program the way THEY want to run it. For many, we take issue with some of their policies. Over the last few years, many have come to this site and pointed out issues or changes with the Rewards program that make their lives more difficult or benefits less than the day before. So, we have a choice ...do it Marriott's way, or hit the highway. Personally, I have way too much invested in the Marriott program to "hit the highway" as of yet, but someday, who knows?

Think it over, if this change they are insisting you make is more than you're willing to do, then join many that have left, but also realize, they don't seem to care. Like 99% of profit seeking entities, they look at their bottom line. Right now they appear to be satisfied with what they are generating in profit. They are pulling back MegaBonus type programs and tightening up benefits. They still run awfully nice hotels and their program isn't too bad, but it ain't what it used to be, for sure.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Everyone on almost every issue have their break points. Its a free country and one can choose which hotel, airline, political candidate etc they want. If this upsets you and it becomes your breaking point then you will switch hotel brands. But i suspect the others will have their issues as nothing is 100% to anyone's liking

Platinum 28 Reviews

Jerryl do I understand you correctly about discussing political candidates on this site?

I find that subject quite different from opinions on hotels, transportation etc.

It does bother me if we entertain discussions of subjects that weren't meant for this forum.

We are a very diverse group coming together to discuss our experiences and opinions in  the world of travel.  I can't believe anyone wants to divide us by political opinion.

That was not my point . My point is people make choices for reasons unique to themselves. I agree this is not a political site and should remain that

Thank you painedplatinum for your insightful reply.  I am lifetime platinum, so will keep my account.  However since I am lifetime, I do not have to stay as frequently.  I will delete my husband's account and cancel his credit card.   I will check my other options.  Starwood does have a good program which allows one to combine cash and points for stays at a lot of their hotels.  They also have hotels in places there are no Marriotts, for instance Nuremberg, Germany.  I do not travel on business so I pay for stays from my pocket.  That makes it more important to get the best deal for the best price. Marriott has been very good to me over the years, but you are correct that it ain't what it used to be.   I no longer refer friends to the Marriott Rewards program.

Nadine its your business and no one else's so I hope it goes well. I think people do come and go with all chains but like you I am lifetime platinum so I also do go elsewhere if it makes sense

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Not that I'm a "techie", but you can link multiple email accounts to various email software and have it come into separate inboxes or to merge to just one.  I use this for business and personal email accounts.

not the point of your complaint but a solution to one of your concerns.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

I have no idea who you are and what your "team" is.  So why would I send you my rewards number?  I have already spoken to Marriott Customer No Service and they don't care.  I certainly do not know what your "team" can do to fix this problem.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi @nadine ,

I'm sorry for not clarifying before, I see that you have posted before so I thought you were familiar with the site. I am one of the MR Insiders Community Moderators, along with joshm lindseyh KatieC and carat . If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to any of us over a private message.

In regards to requesting your rewards number and contact information before, once we receive that we are able to send to our Rewards Member Services Team who in turn will do some research on your account and either come back to us or reach out to you directly. If you would like to have them look into this issue for you, please send me a private message and I will forward that to them. Thank you, and sorry for the confusion!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...