15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2015 5:54 PM by clebert RSS

They won't clean your room because you booked it with points ?

kiss123ds Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have been with Marriott for over 15 years, both with Marriott rewards and Marriott vacation club.

I am staying at the Marriott Grand Chateau Using my Marriott vacation points.

They won't clean my room at all ( but will give me sheets and towels to do it myself ) BECAUSE I USED MY POINTS TO BOOK THE RESORT....

WTF IS THAT ABOUT...... Are we not encouraged to book our vacations thru Marriott vacation club and USE OUR POINTS ?????

They won't clean my room or change my sheets until I stay here OVER 9 days.  I am not a pig and I change my sheets at home a minimum of 5 -7 days.

They are FAST at taking our money , but won't provide basic cleanliness standards for us.

I will be putting up my time share for sale and never use Marriott again as this company has stooped to the lowest level possible.ssues

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: They won't clean your room because you booked it with points ?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

kiss123ds , Are you able to send me a private message with your rewards number and best contact information so I can pass along to our team to look into this for you? That is definitely frustrating and I want to have our team provide clarity on cleaning rooms booked with points vs. without using points. Thanks so much.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Remember MVC has spun off from Marriott and is now a separate entity.  I would expect that they will gradually drift further away from Marriott and will value Marriott customers less and less.  My guess is that the impetus for this policy is from the MVC side and not from Marriott.

Good luck on selling the Vacation Club unit.  Time share owners are lucky to get 10% of their purchase price when they sell.

Time share is a rip off!!!!!!

calcteach Platinum 5 Reviews

Most of the MVC resorts only clean the room after 7 days unless you pay for additional cleanings even when you stay at your home resort or when using destination points for booking.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

This is a complete nonsense. VC Points give you ownership status. I hope you have taken up with the management. To be fair this has to be a MVC issue since VC Points is a MVCI 'product'. Good luck sorting. Complete and utter nonsense. Sort it out MVCI.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I don't own timeshares but know friends who have them and have stayed at several booked as "hotel-type" stays, with Disney, DeVere and Marriott.

3 Points come to mind here:

1. Infrequent cleaning/linen seems to be becoming the norm for timeshare owners; and

2. Although some special privileges are offered to retail buyers, they are as nothing next to the bargains to be had on e secondary market; and

3. Those management fees keep on hiking up!

I'm not a fan...

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

When we stay at MVCI properties on points, they generally do NOT clean the room at all, unless you're staying 7 days or more.  In that case, you get 1 cleaning, usually in the middle of the stay.  You can pay for additional cleanings for $80-100 or so, depending on the property.  I've stayed at about 7 of the MVCI properties, and they have all been this way.  However, if you are paying for the nights at a MVCI, they clean your room every day.  Like brightlybob says above, that's typical timeshare policy.

Platinum 28 Reviews

This opens a whole new can or worms!!  Additionally, this is one member that is of the opinion that Time Shares are one of the most mis-represented commodities known to modern person (how's that for being politically correct).

That said, let's stipulate (humor me) to the above and talk directly about the treatment the kiss123ds received.

It has always been the policy (although nowhere written) that staying on points receives the same treatment and amenities of paying cash for the stay.  The only thing not awarded is points for the stay (not talking about gift points).

Management teams at MVCI properties I don't believe get any of the same training in respect to the treatment of "hotel stays" - all they know is if you want the room cleaned pay for it!!!

I am an owner of a MVCI week  (Waiohai, Kauai) - Although it is one of the better value appreciation wise, and easily rentable every year, a  month doesn't go by where I say I wouldn't do it again.

Now that the kids are grown we rent it each year which luckily covers the maintenance and a bunch of nights at a nice resort.

Let's hear the time share war stories - this thread might have one of the longest lives on the the site.

misterchk   You are the single most satisfied timeshare owner I have run across, and you say "every year, a  month doesn't go by where I say I wouldn't do it again"!

Some people I know have actually paid money to get rid of their timeshares!

What does all  that say about timeshare as an idea that has come and gone?

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist

I love to blame others so I will resort to "family pressures" that beautiful day back in 2001 (one week before that horrible day in 2001).  BUT, just  between you and me, I fell into the grouping "a fool is born every minute".

As long as that group I referred to exists there will be time shares - I just got lucky and purchased at a resort that is in great demand.   If I purchased, say in Palm Desert, I would be lucky to rent out and cover the maintenance.

I consider myself a sophisticated businessman, but they got me that day!!  My worry now is that airfares are rising so fast no one will be able to afford to fly there.

If I'm the most satisfied then time share sales are certainly in allot of trouble.

Have a great Sunday eve friend.  We are about to go out for Italian food..................................

I am always amazed by the number of people that I know who have bought time share.  Many of these people are otherwise sophisticated and money wise people and yet they allow themselves to be sold these contracts.  The numbers are plain to interpret.  Most people are lucky to get 10% to 20% of their original price when they try to sell these units,  Some have ended up giving the unit away.  A few, like you lucked out! 

One can, generally, buy time share units on the secondary market for 10% to 20% of the original selling price.

Years ago, I saw the results of a study that showed that if you add up the prices for all 52 weeks of a typical TS unit, the total cost comes to somewhere between 200% and 300% of the cost of buying a similar condo.

I would like to believe that time share sales are certainly in allot of trouble, but in reality, the industry employs highly skilled and aggressive sales people to hawk their product..

If you look at it the way that

Just for the record, I also buy luxury cars that are really poor investments.  But they are fun to drive, and I enjoy them a lot.  So, I think of the timeshare the same way.  It's a lifestyle choice, not an investment.  We also have a vacation home that fits in that category.  We did not buy it hoping to make money.

We've enjoyed our timeshare and also use the owner's discount when paying to stay at MVCI properties.  So no regrets here.  We did not buy with the belief that it was a good investment.  Rather, we bought as we knew it was a good way to expand our traveling horizons which it has.  We've stayed at 7 different MVCI properties and have an 8th one on the calendar this winter.  We like the expansive 2BR 2BA properties and the kids' clubs.  These properties allow us to take our kids along but also have the opportunity to do some adult stuff while the kids are doing kid activities at the club.  It's a nice balance.  We also have a vacation home, but we still like the timeshare locations to mix things up a little bit.  Airfare is a challenge sometimes, but I fly so much for work that I usually have a good supply of FF miles on the various carriers.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

If you book a MVCI stay as a week, through Interval International. or DC points owner, you get cleaning per the rules of that property. Generally you will not get daily cleaning. Some offer a midweek. Some none at all. (A few offer daily.) HOWEVER, if you book as a paid stay or on MR points you will receive daily cleaning. If you aren't that's a problem.

BTW: We own two MVCI weeks and are very happy with them. Generalizations about them being ripoffs are incorrect. Some are. many aren;t. They are not for everyone. They work out quite well for us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...