28 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2016 12:52 PM by seatexan RSS

Mobile check in

merc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

i have yet to use the precheck in/ mobile check in.  Can anyone explain the reason to use it?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
In the UK
  • Re: Mobile check in
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It can save a time. Essentially, when you arrive at the hotel, your keys are waiting for you. The last time in, they verified the CC on file and handed me my keys. I was on my way to my room in less than 30 seconds (good thing as I was running late for an offsite appointment).

I've found that sometimes I get an upgrade, sometimes not. If you ask for one, it usually doesn't take too much time to reassign the room and get new keys ready, but it does sort of defeats the purpose of mobile check-in.

Some larger properties even set up a separate line for mobile check-in. Twice this has saved me waiting in a line several guests deep. I got my keys and was on my way before the person at the front of the line finished.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

There is also a sweepstakes going on now in which you could win a Million Points for using Mobile Check In.

Like bejacob  I will sometimes ask for upgrades at check in.  Later today I'll be checking into a Northern Va hotel for a weekend stay but I noticed that my reservation already has been upgraded to a suite. So I've already checked in via the mobile app since I know I will be receiving an upgrade.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I was originally skeptical about using it, but I started a couple of months ago and what I found is that I could see ahead of time if my room had already been upgraded!  This then prompts me to ask when I get to the front desk if I wasn't upgraded about getting an upgrade.  I must say though, that my last 4 stays I have been upgraded and was upgraded to a Junior Suite at the Waikiki Marriott with 2 balconies both with a great view of the beach/water.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I have had the same experience. Nothing like getting an upgrade and knowing about it even before you arrive!

702rugbyref Platinum

I like the mobile check in but if the reception area is busy, you still have to wait in the line to get served .I cannot wait until the day when you do your mobile checkin and I get sent an electronic key so I do not have to wait in the lobby for service unnecessarily.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

702rugbyref, I agree 100%.  Hyatt sometimes has kiosks where you can get your room key, along with the traditional front desk, plus a special desk for gold passport members.  I wish Marriott had the kiosks as well. 

702rugbyref Platinum

Would be nice. I think the virtual electronic key is also a way to go but then how would I get my Welcome Gift?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We stayed in downtown Houston last Saturday night at the Hotels in Houston | Autograph Collection | Hotel ICON Houston and I used the Mobile App to check-in Friday.  When we arrived at the active yet not crowded Front Desk we walked up to the Mobile Check-In part of the desk where an Associate was waiting.  I handed her my Marriott CC (extra points) and asked that she use this card for the nights total. 

Now here is yet another saving of time as she pulled out an envelope from the Mobile Check-In roll-o-deck file and handed me our free drink coupon as well as free breakfast coupon both of which were already filled in with our name and date.  Off to the room we were very fast and we got another registration for the sweepstakes. 

I love Mobile Check-In and find it very helpful as you can put down what time you will arrive at the hotel, most of which are a minimum of two hours early and our room has always been ready.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Did the mobil checkin include an upgraded room?

We did get an upgrade however; then the Virtual Concierge email came about a week ahead I requested an upgrade then and within minutes got a message from the hotel telling me upgraded room which was very very nice.  We got a nice view of the city, bathroom with huge Jacuzzi Tub as well as a huge walk in shower. 

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

I have to say that, despite being a loyal Marriott customer and one attracted to offers which attract benefits, I have yet to use mobile check in because I am suspicious of whether in the UK the check in folk will be clued up enough to look at up grades. The experiences here suggest people are pretty on the ball in the USA and, as is mentioned here, you can always ask and get fre-assigned. Perhaps I'll give it a go next trip and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Anybody won any points yet?

Location Brand Hotel
    In the UK
    Jsucool76 Gold

I don't often use mobile check in. I'll only ever use it if I'm arriving at a hotel before the standard arrival time. I arrived at my hotel in Koln, Germany at like 1PM...2 hours before check in, so the day before my trip I did mobile check in, stating my expected arrival time. When I walked into the hotel my room was ready, unlike the 4 people who checked in before me, and the 10 people sitting in the lobby with their luggage playing on their phones.

The one concern I see from many regarding mobile check-in is the possibility of losing out on an upgrade, but I always like to email the hotel before a stay and ask for an upgrade, this way I don't really need to worry about it.

iahcouple Platinum

While i enjoy the Marriott mobile check in I really prefer the Hilton app.  Not only can we check in but we can also choose our room.  I feel Hilton app has Marriott beat with that part.

Hey iahcouple, nice screen name and I am guessing you are based at IAH???

iahcouple Platinum

(-: back at 'cha with the screen name.  Live in IAH but ORD based.

Oh sorry for the ORD base. LOL

iahcouple Platinum

I know but it beats being on reserve in IAH.  Heading into year 16 and i like to control my life as much as i can. 

ndn Platinum

Marriott with this capability would be amazing. I really find little value in the mobile check in at the moment. It lets me feel confident that I notified the hotel of my arrival time and that my room is ready (sometimes). Other than that, it is useless.

702rugbyref Platinum

It does seem silly to mobile check-in to only have to wait in line to obtain your key. They need to have the electronic key sent to your smartphone...then again, how would I get my Welcome Gift?

merc Platinum

Thanks for the discussion & thoughts!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I use the Mobile check-in frequently. I like the fact I can enter the time I expect to arrive and never have a problem with early check-in. However, I have never been upgraded (yes I am Platinum and Platinum for life) and in fact, one of the issues I have experienced with the Mobile check-in is that I am frequently assigned some of the worst rooms. I was just in Minneapolis last week and used the Mobile check-in and was assigned a room that had no view, construction across the street and construction at the hotel where the jack hammer felt like was right next door. The last three times I have used Mobil Check-in my coworker who is not Platinum and did not use the Mobile check-in was assigned a much better room. Granted, I did not complain and did not ask for another room once I arrived in my room. To much of a hassle at that time and it these are work trips.

I would like to know how you can see whether you have been upgraded before? A couple of the posts mentioned they have used the Mobil Check-in and were assigned a room ahead of time and could see they were assigned an upgraded room. How?

Truth is, I am very rarely upgraded, especially when I travel for business. In fact, I can only remeber twice and only after I asked. I am usually upgraded at resorts when I go on vacation but only one level up to a better view and never a suite. I really must be doing something wrong because I see posts on here frequently that people are upgraded to junior suites etc.. I have never been automatically upgraded and when I try to be nice at the desk and just say "I hope you assigned me a nice room" it is never a larger or upgraded room. Maybe I am not forceful enough or just not staying at the right hotels I guess.

Even with mobile check-in never hurts to say to the front desk folks "I'd like an upgrade if one is available" (I'm sure they think all the rooms are "nice" ). At a recent stay in Cincinnati, I got this lovely response "We've already upgraded you to a suite." Sometimes none are available (at least that's what I'm told), but it's worth asking for an upgrade, not just a nice room.

As for knowing ahead of time, I'd like to know the secret as well. Typically I don't find out until I'm at the front desk.

702rugbyref Platinum

I must try this thinking...I mean I 99% of the time mobile-checkin but don't seem to get an upgrade (I am wanting to win 1,000,000 points too badly!). Some folks have said if you get a high floor that is considered an upgrade and that usually does happen with me so maybe I am getting upgraded.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i hated it then loved it then hated it again it all depends on the property  some hotels have a clerk on th emobile check in desk and its pick up your keys and go otherwise you stand in line and wait your turn

dromidar Platinum

There is a clear reason to use the mobile check in : you get downgraded systematically.

seatexan Platinum

dromidar wrote:

There is a clear reason to use the mobile check in : you get downgraded systematically.

What do you mean?

Not so.

I use mobile check-in whenever possible. Most of the time, I find out I have been upgraded before arrival and my room keys are waiting. On the rare occasion that doesn't happen, I ask. If an upgrade is available, it just takes a moment to get the new room assigned and keys prepared.

I believe I have had better success at getting upgrades without asking since mobile check-in came along. I used to have to ask about 2 in 3 times. Now it's less than 1 in 5.

seatexan Platinum

Well I love the Marriott Check in App.  I get a notice sometimes that my room is ready the day before even! they must be slow a some locations.   I have never been "downgraded" at least not that I know of and I usually get a high room so that alone makes me happy. 

dromidar, can you explain how you were downgraded?  thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...