54 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2017 8:01 PM by lunachook RSS

Using the 'Look No Further' rate - All you need to know+Tips

fistuk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a Platinum rewards member, who has been dealing a lot with getting significantly reduced 'Look No further' rates for all my bookings, I wanted to share with you my experience & overview on this issue:

BACKGROUND:

Marriott's 'Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee' policy is one of the biggest advantages reward members can enjoy when booking a Marriott hotel and is offered for ALL reward members, regardless of their membership status.

Simply, what it says is that if you find a lower rate elsewhere for your booking than Marriott will match the lower rate you found and grant you an additional 25% reduction for that booking (by filling in & submitting a simple online claim form).

Obviously, this is a big candy given to us which we can take a good advantage of, thus saving ourselves a lot of money. In my past experience I had many cases where I was able to reduce my booked rates by more than 50%!

THE CATCH:

Yes, as I indicated above, it's their official POLICY - meaning you can enjoy it to the full if used wisely. So what is 'wisely'?

Using it wisely means that, first of all, you need to follow their rules: terms & conditions. I do recommend everyone who wants to submit a claim form to click this link and go through the rules (lots of claims are being denied only because people are not aware of those rules).

I won't mention all of the rules but I intend to briefly take you through the main T&C:

1. They limit the policy to be applied only to some of the Marriott brands (most of them but not all of them).

2. They require us to first book through an official Marriott reservation channel and only then submit a claim form.

3. They exclude special rate types (for instance: AAA, senior rate, Marriott members unique rates achieved by using a promotional code, package rates that include more components than just the room or just room+breakfast, etc').

4. They apply the policy only to rates which are available to the general public (excluding auction rates, secret rates, or any other discounted rates).

5. The lower rate you found must still be available to be found when they process your claim (which can take up to 24 hours from the time of submitting the claim form).

THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT:

For finding lower rates I've always been using the internet (other websites) and only the internet. Although they allow the lower rate to be found through other methods (for example: travel agencies) I never saw any use of spending my time with bothering to do it. In my opinion the internet is the most reliable & quick option.

So now I'll provide you with my recommended solution to each of the above 'catch' sections:

1. There's nothing much we can do about this. If you like to have the option of reducing your rate than just make sure you book your stay in an included hotel brand.

2. An official Marriott channel may include, in most of the cases, the Marriott reservation call centre or the Marriott website (I personally have been using only the Marriott website as it's much simpler & quicker if you know your way around, and it always offers the same rates they offer you on the phone). So the key here, no matter which way you choose to book, is to book a free cancellation rate. If you book an 'Advanced Purchase' rate you need to consider the fact that you may cancel your booking only within 24 hours. This is a critical issue as sometimes, after a while (more than 24 hours), you need to cancel and rebook for submitting a new claim (claims need to be submitted within 24 hours after your booking). I will elaborate on this later on...

3. There's nothing much we can do about this. If you like to have the option of reducing your rate than just make sure you book your stay with a room only or B&B rate.

Despite the fact that lots of other rate types, including more amenities, may be offered to you for what you may think is an attractive rate, the 'Look No Further' rate will always be the most attractive one as it will always save you the most significant amount of money! So why book an unrequired rate (which is always higher because it always includes those extra amenities!!) just for including dinner and\or a bottle of champagne or even some extra reward points (etc')??? If you really want those you can pay for them separately. Anyhow, the reduced rate you'll get will most probably pay you back the extra charges you're interested in spending (and sometimes even more).

4. The significant discount you're given by the 'Look No Further' rate doesn't originate in the lower rate you find but in the 25% of the additional reduction (most of the lower rates found are not too far from the original rate booked). Therefore, when looking for a lower rate make sure it's legit, meaning it's a regular rate which is available for everyone to view (no promotional codes or any other special methods used for viewing it).

5. The 'Look No Further' team of Marriott is the one which process the claim forms we submit. They reside in one of Marriott's offices in the US (in Omaha, Nebraska if I recall correctly) and it can take them up to 24 hours to check & email us back with the decision regarding our claim (depend how busy they are). Since rates are very dynamic and tend to change with time, we have no control when they disappear or being raised in the websites we use for the comparison after we viewed them and submitted our claim. In that case we have nothing to do - if they're no longer available by the time the 'Look No Further' team processes our claim than it's just a bad luck... You may find a lower rate on another website and then just reply to the denial email you got with a reference to that website. If you can't find a lower rate elsewhere and you're still not happy with the booked rate than just cancel your booking.

TIPS:

A. Book as much as you can in advance. Lower compared rates are hard to find in the last minute or even a week or two before your check in time. A free cancelation rate will allow you to cancel free of charge anytime (in most cases up to a day before arrival).

B. Make sure you explore all your options before submitting a claim: if you found a lower rate on one website it still doesn't mean you can't find even a lower one on another website.

C. As indicated above, rates are dynamic and tend to change with time - not only for the worse, but also may decrease! If you booked in advance it's always wise to check the rates periodically as a lower one may be found and you could get even a bigger reduction. This is true for both the original booked rate (sometimes Marriott's rates decrease as well) and the lower rate found, and this is exactly why I mentioned more than once above that it's wise to book only free cancelation rates, since in such a cases you will need to cancel your booking with the old 'Look No Further' approved rate and make a new booking for which you'll submit a new claim form (for getting a lower 'Look No Further' rate. NOTE: since you can book as many times as you like, don't cancel your old booking until the new reduced rate has been approved! In the worse case you will keep your old reduced rate and just cancel the new booking for which the claim was denied). Of course, if you're booking shortly before the check in date and you're sure of your stay than it may be better to book an 'Advanced Purchase' rate in case a lower rate can't be found elsewhere.

D. Pay attention to the laws regarding taxes in the country you book your stay: In the US & Canada taxes are always added on top of the rate and claim forms are always referred to the rates exclusive of taxes (and any other fees). In the UK, for instance, taxes are always included in the rate and claim forms are always referred to the rates inclusive of taxes. I had a few cases when I submitted a claim for a hotel in the UK and the 'Look No Further' team denied it because that agent made a mistake by adding taxes on top! That was most embarrassing for them as I had to explain to her that the UK is not the US and that she can't just add the taxes on top of the rate again. Of course they had approved my claim afterwards...

So before submitting a claim make sure if taxes should be inclusive or exclusive in the compared rate and also in the website you use for your comparison so you know you make the right calculations and your claim is accurate and true.

E. Some of the people in the 'Look No Further' team are not experienced enough in validating websites used for rate comparisons and most of them may make mistakes. According to my experience they're making more than a few mistakes (genteelly described). It's very important that even if you got a denial response regarding your claim you'll still check and verify that their response is correct. I had many cases when after replying to their email claiming they did a mistake they actually confirmed I was right and approved the claim (for example: they claimed the rate was no longer available on the website I indicated but it was still available indeed, so I provided them with specific instructions of how to reach it).

Even when they do approve the claim you need to make sure their calculations of the reduced rate given to you are correct. You'll be surprised how many of these people don't know simple math thus not reducing the rate for you properly (I had many cases when I had to reply and provide them with the error they made).

F. If you have a dispute with the specific person from the 'Look No Further' team who handles your claim and you can't make him understand his mistake, you can always ask him\her to consult one of his\her colleagues or, in a worse case scenario, ask him\her to escalate your claim to his\her supervisor. This is acceptable and I've used this method a few times before.

G. For any special need you can also contact the 'Look No Further' team on the phone: 18007715665 (this is a US toll free number which can also be dialled free of charge from outside the US using Skype). However, most of your needs can be answered through the email correspondence of your claim.

H. The most familiar comparison websites, such as hotels.com, booking.com, orbitz.com, priceline.com, hotels4u.com etc', often match the rates we see on Marriott.com and don't actually provide us with any advantage...
I struggled a lot to find and establish a descent list of other websites which can be used for a useful comparison: getaroom.com, lastminute.com, hoteltravel.com, alpharooms.com, hotelsone.com, roomhopper.com, superbreak.com, discounthotels.com, ibooked.co.uk, hotelmix.com.

A best practice I'd recommend on (in addition to all the above) is to always use a hotel comparison engine such as hotelscombined.com and skyscanner.com. These are very useful in finding 'hidden' lower rates on different other websites which pop up occasionally.

CONCLUSION:

Not every hotel chain offer its members a best price guarantee policy, but Marriott does! Not taking advantage of it will be a great miss and unfortunate as you will be paying much more than what you really could!!

The savings can be very significant and I can give you one example: Several years back I booked a stay in the 'Philadelphia Marriott Downtown' hotel for 3 nights. The lowest rate they could provide me with on their website was over $700 for those 3 nights. Using the 'Look No Further' policy I managed to get a $90 per night rate and when I checked in the front desk lady was so surprised and asked me: "Are you really on a $90 rate?? I've never seen that kind of a rate here". So I guess I broke a record in that hotel, and it's truly my pleasure.  :-)

You're welcome to comment here and share your experience with getting reduced rates using the 'Look No Further' rate - what website did you use and for which hotel? How much did you manage to lower the original rate? or any issue you had with finding a lower rate or with struggling with The 'Look No Further' team which could teach us all how to be smarter next time  :-)

I hope this info was helpful and that you'll make a good use of it for saving your money.

UPDATE: The terms & conditions have recently changed, and now LNF claims for bookings hotels outside the US & Canada no longer require to use a direct reservation website for comparisons! (this section in the guide has already been deleted, as it's no longer relevant).

UPDATE: The rules of the Best Rate Guarantee policy have now changed and excludes several websites to be used as comparison source. This change was made due to evidence obtained that supports certain websites do not result in a reservation when attempting to confirm through the comparison source. The websites excluded are: Booklethotels.com, Bookmoreroom.com, Bookmorerooms.com, Bookamorehotels.com, Ostrovok.ru (including all versions of this webpage), Happyrooms.com, Hotelspay.com, Hotelsepay.com, Allcheaproom.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using the 'Look No Further' rate - All you need to know+Tips
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Very nice guide. I've gotten the LNF rate for about 90% of my stays. I've noticed inconsistencies in rates for premium rooms such as high floor,city view, or larger rooms in which marriott prices them higher than a standard non view room but other websites are either the same as the standard rooms or a few dollars below what marriott has. I don't think I have found a standard room lower than marriott, so look for other room types as well. In the claims form where i put the webite name but on comments I put down the room type and paste the direct link to the rate if it fits.

If I cannot find a lower rate I still book a cancelable room that I need to be sure it will not go up. I still periodically recheck rates and try to find rates lower so if I do I can make another reservation and submit a claim form.

Im not sure if we are allowed to share publicly the websites but you are welcome to ask in pm just to be safe

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fistuk Platinum

Jm1991,

I'm aware of the confusion around room types, in particular regarding premium rooms. I can tell you a little secret: the 'Look No Further' team gets confused as well and this works as our advantage. Let me explain this by my own example:

I've booked the Marriott hotel in Waikiki beach (Hawaii) which offers several types of a premium room, each type priced differently and offers a different view. However, in the website I used for comparison had a section of premium rooms which doesn't elaborate too much about the differences between them as the Marriott website. So what I did is booked the best one, the most expensive one, and submitted a claim form indicating a room which may look similar but probably isn't. They didn't bother to investigate and as long the basic parameters matched they considered it as the right room and my claim was approved. Now instead of paying $384/night I'm paying only $159! You just need to try... What can you loose? ;-)

Regarding if we can share publicly the websites we use - I just did that in my guide, and anyhow I don't see why we shouldn't... No rules broken.

ejj Silver

Hey there can you tell me which hotel booking sights you usually use? thanks in advance.

fistuk Platinum

ejj,

If you have actually read my guide above you wouldn't have had a reason to ask this question - it's all in there 

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Wow, this is amazing. Great write-up, fistuk!

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

Thank you so very much for this wonderful step by step education on how to save money! 

Question, though.  I thought the rules state that you cannot use websites like Price.com and hotwire.  Are they different in some way than the websites you listed?

fistuk Platinum

I think you meant priceline.com rather than price.com. It doesn't seem you can book an hotel through price.com...

Anyway, as I mentioned in my guide, priceline.com & hotwire.com offer you another option of booking which is called 'Secret Rates'. This option gives you a reduced rate for hotels according to the parameters you search by, but doesn't actually reveal the name of the selected hotel for you until after you paid.

That still doesn't mean you can't book with those websites - they do provide you with the regular\ordinary method of booking as all other websites do.

However, these kind of secret rates are excluded from using in the 'Look No Further' claim.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

fistuk,

Great write up and welcome to Insiders!  Google also has a useful website for helping find lower rates at properties. http://www.google.com/hotels 

When using the google link it will refer you to other websites in which you can find the rate listed. I used this the last time I was able to book a LNF Rate.

bjones8162 Gold 1 Reviews

What if you book a multi night stay - using Points+Cash?  Can you do the LNF for the cash portion of the rate? 

fistuk Platinum

I've never tried that personally, but considering the fact that a LNF claim can be submitted for any paid night than it would make sense to say yes - you can do that.

You're welcome to try and let us know of the outcome.

bjones8162 Gold 1 Reviews

Am I looking at this correctly on the Marriott website - do you have to find the lower rate within 24 hours of your original reservation?  I hope I am reading this wrong/misunderstanding, or I am going to be really disappointed.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Yes it has to be with in 24hrs of when you made the original reservation. 

fistuk Platinum

Generally yes, but if the rate on the Marriott website hasn't changed you will be able to submit a claim form even after 24 hours, as it won't make any sense to cancel the booking and then rebook the same one.

In the worst case scenario you'll just need to cancel and rebook in order to be able to submit a claim form.

mrf Gold 1 Reviews

Just saw this and thanks for the helpful hints. Thankfully I never reached the point where I had to escalate to another coworker or supervisor, but it's good to know.

i also was questioned twice when checking in about the great rate I had. And I think I broke the record at the Cosmopolitan.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I generally do not get the LNF rate, simply because I qualify for several "special" rates, including Government, AAA, and Senior.  When I do have to settle for the LNF rate, it is usually the best available.  It's nice to know, however, that Marriott makes this rate available to its members.

hughwu Platinum

Hi fistuk,

Thanks for the information!

I also filed a claim but got rejected because the hotel has a special rate that need advanced payment.

But I don't want to pay in advance so I choose the regular free cancellation rate to compare with 3rd party website.

So I wonder if it really works because most hotels have advanced purchased rate

And last time I booked a non-refundable rate and claimed the LNF, Marriott also rejected it but when I canceled the reservation within 24hrs, the hotel still mentioned they charged the payment...

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

fistuk, I've tried this for all of my bookings in the next few months and I have yet to find a lower rate on Trivago, Kayak, Priceline, Hotwire, etc.  What am I doing wrong?

Hoosteve Gold

Much Appreciated!  Never tried.  Not sure next chance.  But, great to know.

mclean1979 Member

Thanks to the op. I saved over €200 on an executive room for two nights in a popular European hotel. It was refused a few times but persistence was the key and Marriott came good in the end. Thanks to the OP for sharing his technique

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, I echo mclean1979 many thanks to you, fistuk.

For many years I was a fan of the LNF but Marriott began tightening its attitude and the last LNF I managed before this article was in Nov 2014, ironically at the Philly Marriott too, total cost for a 4-night stay reduced from $1,200 to $500! Unlike you I didn't get the FD exclamation, but the amateur I am, I did only manage to reduce the rate to $105/nt!

But your article reinvigorated my searches and I've saved $100 at Montreal Marriott, $50 at Gettysburg CY, $150 at Richmond Marriott, $170 at EWR Marriott, $80 at Houston ICON, and $150 at the MCO Marriott. And yes, for all those reading this, it does take a long time, and many searches. For this group I found my cheaper rates at Alpharooms, ibooked, roomhopper and booking.com. I'm still finding LNF impossible on EU and UK rates, though! Even so, $700 saved  is pretty dang good!

I definitely owe you a pint or two, fistuk hopefully in Houston, but if not, I do have a couple of jobs coming up in London during November and December...

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Fistuk mentioned this thread in Houston. I missed it the first time around. Excellent work, fistuk !!!

seatexan Platinum

I just booked marked it!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

thx for the detailed report

Jsucool76 Gold

Put in an LNF claim yesterday thanks to this post and talking with fistuk in Houston. Rate went from 142 a night to 72.31 q night... Woot!

lunachook Member

Has anyone had any recent success with the LNF rewards?

I have booked at the cosmo for 6 nights, then found a cheaper rate both per night and in total, on hotels.com. I also booked there and received a receipt. I forwarded a claim to Marriott and directed them to the website and also supplied the receipt.

I get an email denying the claim saying they can't find the rate. In the meantime, I have cancelled the Hotels.com booking as i don't need two bookings. Gwynn from LNF says she would be happy to review my other booking but can't see it in her system, of course not, I cancelled it. Anyway, I go back to hotels.com, the same rate is still there so I book it again and send the second receipt through saying I will not cancel this booking until they can see it on the marriott system.

I get an email this morning from LNF saying again I have been denied as they cannot find the rate!! Indeed, on hotels the rate has now increased a little so that Marriott is cheaper, but it is 3 days since the original booking.

How do I escalate this? I have done everything correct. I even made a booking to show the cheaper rate, not once but twice.

It seems a very dishonest way for marriott to have all its customers search the web to find cheaper prices and then they contact the reseller and fix the pricing issue and then deny the claim stating "can't verify".

This is all very frustrating as I followed all the above instructions, I even called a customer care person and asked if what I was doing was OK (first time I have done this) and he was the one who advised me to make the cheaper booking to make it easier for the LNF team to verify the cheaper rate.

lunachook Member

Further to this story,

i have received a further email after sending the receipts again, that Marriott is unable to verify this claim denied, citing that the rate was not available when they looked.

What frustrates me is that I was able to make two bookings with the third party, one just after I booked with Marriott, and the second just after LNF advised me they could not find the rate. If I could book it, then clearly the rate was still available and live. I have time stamped reciepts to validate this and they still say it can't be verified.

I Think this is just a scheme to have you find the cheap fares and save them the wore of scouring the net. It also seems that there is no recourse, decision final and no way to appeal further.

If anyone has any further info that could assist I would appreciate it. I know that at the end of the day it is a gift horse, but I was using the system to be in a better class of room than I could afford as we are travelling from Australia for our 21st wedding anniversary.

TIA

marvelmed Platinum

I've had plenty success with LNF over the past few weeks. A few claims were originally denied because the agent claimed the lower rate could not be verified, even when the URL had been provided. In those cases, I simply respond to the email asap with a note that the rate is still available, provide the link again, and add detailed directions on how it can be located. That will work more often than not, especially if a different agent reviews the claim. Or, if I am not inclined to argue the point, it can be easier to make a new booking on Marriott and submit a corresponding new LNF claim. Also note: LNF must be able to verify the lower rate is available at the time that they review the claim.

allleisure Platinum

The lead post on this thread gives detailed information on how to successfully navigate the Look No Further scheme.  In your instant case, it always helps to be able to point them to the specific page where the qualifying offer can be found. A link to the page should eliminate the "I can't find it" response.  Copy and paste the URL from the address bar in your browser.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Wish you many more. 

lunachook Member

Thank you all leisure,

Yes, I did follow this exact thread in order to make sure I did it correctly. I was still told they couldn't verify it. Hence the second booking to show it was still live on the hotels website.

Honestly, if they are lazy or don't look it up at all, how do  you prove the price was still there? The only way I could think was to book it at the reduced rate again. Apparently even that isn't good enough.

fistuk Platinum

How do you claim to follow this thread if you indicate you have made bookings on hotels.com??

This is not the right way to do it, and I'd recommend you to read again this guide.

lunachook Member

Thank you fistuk,

i may have poorly explained what I did.

1. I booked with marriott

2. I read their website and discovered the LNF guarentee

3. I googled LNF and read a few forum posts, your included

4. I searched the web and found the cheaper rate at hotels.com

5. Being a bit wary of what you read on the net, I called the toll free number here in Australia (outside hours, and it sounded like it diverted for the US). Stated my above steps and asked what what I do next. Was directed to the submission for and during the course of the conversation it was mentioned that if it was able to be refunded then it wouldn't hurt to make the booking with the third party to help show the LNF team.

6. Made booking with hotels.com

sent in submission including link and receipt of cheaper booking.

7. Claim denied, several emails ensued, LNF team said rate not there

8. I booked it again (over 24 hours after I originally booked it, so it was definitely there and able to be booked in the required 24hr window) and sent through the receipt to show that it was indeed there

9. Again claim denied as they can't find it,

10. Rate now higher on hotels.com so now of course the can't find it

fistuk Platinum

First of all, the LNF team can't use your screenshots not your booking with a 3rd party, so making a booking with hotel.com in your case won't do you any good.

Secondly, I understand your frustration, since as I mentioned in my guide, some of the LNF team members aren't trained enough to do their job properly, thus not being able to search comparison sites properly.

I've been experiencing that myself through all my time dealing with LNF, and the only solution I found is to be stubborn and persistent:

I always verify the rate exists and then reply to them asking they will check again and\or consult with one of their colleagues just to make sure. I also provide them with detailed instructions on how to reach & view the lower rate, so they know how to search properly.

Thirdly, as I mentioned in my guide, websites like hotels.com don't usually provide lower rates since they will mostly match the Marriott rates. Therefore, I'd recommend you to look on other websites mentioned in my guide.

fistuk Platinum

Sometimes the direct link you give them doesn't work when pasting it in the browser. This is website individually dependent, and I'd recommend checking the link in another browser just to make sure it's valid prior to sending them.

lunachook Member

I am not quite sure what you mean here. I sent the link, screen shots, forwarded the email reciept from Hotels.com. I was originally on my Mac pc when I started with and then moved to the iPad and was able to search the same details up there.

fistuk Platinum

Some websites use different ways of linking their pages with http addresses, so not all of the URLs you copy from your browser actually lead to the specific page you want them to lead to. You should verify, as I mentioned above, that the URL you copy actually works.

lunachook Member

OK, I am please to say that it has now been honoured. After being denied 5 times and several LMF staff, I asked for it to be escalated and it was then approved without issue. Thank you for posting this great guide.

tk-4 Silver

Hi Lunachook

Congrats on Marriott honouring their LNF guarantee on your booking.

Was hoping you can shed some light as to what is the quickest way to escalate as I might be in the same position as you.  I had book a room via Marriott.com for US$227/night and then was able to book the exact same room and terms on Expedia for US$192/night.  The issue is that the room I booked on Expedia was the last one available one so the folks at Marriott denied my claim as they weren't able to find it - not a surprise cause I wasn't able to find it again after I booked it on Expedia.  I have forwarded print screens of my booking and explaining that I booked the last available room as well as submitted another LNF claim form with the Expedia confirmed itinerary # and contact #.  I haven't actually forwarded the actual Expedia confirmed booking to them - maybe I'll do that as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

marvelmed Platinum

It's doubtful escalating this claim would result in a better outcome. LNF terms dictate that the comparison rate must be available at the time Marriott validates the claim.

lunachook Member

I do agree, I was able to show by making a second booking after the denial that the rate still existed even though I still was told Marriott couldn't find it.

monisame Platinum

Great Guide. Thanks for taking the time to do this. !!!!

rozzie Silver

i just booked a hotel today at Edina Minnesota but I need help looking for lower rates from third party sites. I tried the sites that you suggested but still couldn't find any   please help

fistuk Platinum

How much time in advance are you trying to book? If it's almost the last minute than lower rates are very hard to be found, as indicated in my guide.

I'd also recommend you to search on hotel comparison engines, such as hotelscombined.com and skyscanner.com.