11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2015 1:48 PM by crnkotm RSS

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa - A little disappointed!

gpamike Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just wanted to update you on a recent trip my family and I took to this property.

Overall this is a very nice hotel and property. The rooms are clean and in good condition. The restaurants serve good food at the normal higher priced hotel cost. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

However there were a few disappointments for us.

1.) My family and I are a big beach family. We love the beach and spending time in the ocean. Unfortunately this area is undergoing a major seaweed issue according to the hotel staff. Heavy thick seaweed along the entire coastline which made oceangoing virtually impossible. During our 5 night stay we only went into the ocean once and very briefly due to having to wade through tons of seaweed just to get into spotty areas where you could swim. A big bummer for us as we could not really enjoy the water.

Cancun Beach.JPG

2.) If you are a person who does not smoke or does not want to breath others second hand smoke, this is not the hotel for you. Although the inside areas of the hotel are smoke free, the outside areas including the pool areas where most of our days were spent are not!! We found ourselves either dealing with others second hand smoke or constantly moving our seats to avoid it. Not very enjoyable if you do not smoke. I would have expected in this day and age that the hotel would be completely smoke free with maybe a few designated smoking areas. Or smoking and non smoking areas.

A good vacation overall but not the awesome tropical family vacation we were hoping for!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico JW Marriott JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
  • Re: JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa - A little disappointed!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sorry to read your posting and even more so seeing the state of the beach.  This is what the beach is supposed to look like taken from our room during a passing shower on our last visit to the JW.

S3600012.JPG

Or on a better day!

IMG00008-20100702-1547.jpg

As for the smoking, I don't remember it being that bad nor do I at other Marriott resorts.  Being non-smokers ourselves it would make for an unpleasant trip for sure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

gpamike,

Welcome to Insiders and thanks for sharing your experience.  That's unfortunate about the seaweed.  Perhaps the pool area would have had less smokers if the beach was more accessible.  I took a trip to Miami Beach back in 2000 and was disappointed that there was a sewage spill at the time and swimming in the ocean was prohibited.  Like you I tried to make the most of the beach vacation and spent more time at the pool. 

AZDesertRat Platinum

Sorry to hear of the beach condition when you were there.  We stayed two nights in December 2014 and the beach was pristine.  I wonder if it is a seasonal problem.  Our pictures from our room look similar to those posted above.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I see that this post is a couple of months old.  I wonder if this is still the case.  Has anyone visited recently?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi carat, I recall that about a month after this post was made (so just last month), I saw some photos on facebook that a friend had posted while in Cancun, and I readily noticed that the beach looked much the same as gpamike's original photo above.

gpamike, thanks for taking the time to post this.  I've been wanting to visit Cancun (Belize as well) and the JW Cancun looks pretty nice.  I will wait until this ecological situation has remedied itself.  Were there any problems with second hand smoke on your balcony (from neighboring balconies?)

I know it's been years and we had a room in the Club 91, but we had not smoke issues at all pluto77,

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews

I'm heading down in Dec. and will give an update on the seaweed carat.

IAHFLYR, did anyone contact you ahead of time since you had a Club 91 room? I was thinking about planning a dive trip over to Cozumel. Did they also coordinate your airport transport?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks, crnkotm!!

crnkotm,

I'd love to say they did contact me before we left, but it has been too long ago for this geezer to recall! As for airport transport I did have a car pick us up and again do not remember if the hotel provided it or if we got it on our own.  Sorry, probably been about three years or more since we visited Cancun.

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews

I'll let you know if i hear from them in the next couple weeks. According to the reservation my special benefits include

• transportation for stays of 3 nights or more
    • pre-arrival vacation planning
    • complimentary cocktails

Oh, and how the heck to I tag people in a post? lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...