8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2015 10:46 PM by bizo1 RSS

What do you think about this situation?   Who should I speak with?

traveling4al Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am seasoned business traveler (traveling over 25+ years) with about 300 employees and countless business associates who travel. I am frequently the one who picks the hotel for the meeting.  I have been "walked" to other hotels in the past when my room was given away due to a late arrival, but I have never been treated so poorly.  I am thinking I am no longer going to use Marriott for accommodations and or meetings.

Upon arrival at The Springhill Suites Pittsburgh Airport I was informed that my room was canceled.  The email below was sent to me while I drove from a meeting in Maryland.  Of course I had no way of reading the email while driving from Maryland to PA.  I am also aware that the hotel manager called my home phone which did no good because I was traveling.  Despite the fact I used the mobile check-in App to check-in my room was still canceled.  The manager did not call my travel agent (who booked the trip) or my cell phone.  Because my Amex number was stolen about two weeks ago I have a new card/number.  Apparently, the number was not updated in my profile.  As a result, the charge for my room did not go through.  Upon arrival the desk associate met me with the news of the cancellation, but not an offer to find or provide other accommodations. I learned that there were 6 people who had not yet arrived, but I could not get a room. I spoke with the manager via phone and he coldly stated that he followed the company policy (the end).

What interesting is the person I traveled with today had an old card on his profile as well and upon check-in he was asked to provide a credit card, but his room was never canceled.

Of course I am tired and mad, but what do you think?

Actual email

Mr.

Good evening. I am contacting you regarding your reservation this evening at the SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Airport. Unfortunately, your reservation was found to have been guaranteed with a credit card which failed to approve for the anticipated reserved rate and taxes once the cancellation window had passed. As a result of this, your reservation becomes non-guaranteed and subject to availability meaning that if the hotel is otherwise fully booked, your reservation is subject to immediate cancellation. I apologize and regret to inform you that we are not able to honor your non-guaranteed reservation for this evening. An attempt to reach you by phone with the number on file was not successful. Upon your arrival this evening (or if you may call prior), my staff will be happy to assist you with referral options to alternate properties for this evening.

SpringHill Suites by Marriott - Pittsburgh Airport

239 Summit Park Drive

Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Tel: (412) 494-9446

Fax: (412) 494-4718

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you think about this situation?   Who should I speak with?
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

traveling4al - wow - that's a bummer - it sounds like you had some bad luck (and, frankly, identity theft is a pain, and this is a pretty good example of how big of a hassle it becomes)....

It sounds to me like the hotel at least tried to do the right thing - both emailing and calling...  But the thing you said that really resonated with me is the (to my mind, useless) mobile check-in app - if you used your mobile phone for that, and they didn't call that number - what's the point?!?!??!

I think most of us agree that - as a general rule - when there's an overbooking, you should be given another room elsewhere (at no charge)....  More on that point, here: Hotel Overbooking Practices - Interesting Analysis ... But, I gotta admit, this one sounds a bit unusual/quirky to me...

Sorry you had such bad luck!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hello, @traveling4al

First, I would like to Welcome you to the Insiders Community! This is a great place to share your travel experiences, recommendations and more.  I'd also like to introduce you to the Community Moderators here, joshm lindseyh KatieC and deannad.  If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out

In regards to your thread, I've sent you a private message and would like the opportunity to work with our team to provide you with support.

Thanks for taking the time to share and welcome to Insiders!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Hey Traveling - let us know how you make out on this.  I hope that Marriott compensates you in some way that expresses to you that they want your business!!!  I have been on the road and experienced a card that was hacked and was notified quickly by the credit card company and that they had put a hold on my card.  Fortunately I had another card with me AND the hotel honored my reservation when I checked-in at the cheaper rate that I had booked.

Best of Luck!!  Us "Traveling" Insiders need to stick together!!! 

702rugbyref Platinum

I have had an old card on my profile and provided a new one upon arrival -even after online checkin so I think he is sending a pile of 'fluff' you way.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Unfortunate experience!

This suggestion might be a bit more expensive, but if you'd like to treat your employees to a fabulous meeting place, with excellent accommodations for business meetings, I'd recommend the Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa:    http://www.renaissancetuscany.com

Fred

bizo1 Silver

I am also struggling with a Spring Hill Suites reservation issue. I think there is a problem with the online reservation system. I cancelled a reservation the afternoon before I was due to check in but my card was billed at 7am the day I was supposed to check in. (I thought check-in was not until 3pm... but whatever. I immediately checked to see if my cancellation did not go through but the website showed that my reservation had been "cancelled". I did NOT get an email confirmation from the site.  The next day, there was another charge for 2 more (roughly $370) nights at the same hotel! I have contacted the general manager but she tells me that the reservation system has me as a "no show" so she will not refund $158 with no mention of the additional charge of $370. I have written a long letter with the screen shots from my bank and laptop etc. with no response from the general manager of the hotel. I am really shocked to get this kind of treatment from a Marriott brand hotel and am wondering if I should go ahead and dispute the charge with my card company. What do you think?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

That sounds very frustrating, bizo1!  Can you send me a private message with your Rewards Number and the dates and property of your stay?  I'd like to work with our team to provide support on this. 

I'd also like to welcome you to the Insiders Community!  This is a great place to share your travel knowledge and hear what other travels are saying.  My name is Cara, carat, and I am one of the moderators here along with deannad, lindseyh and KatieC.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us. 

We are glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you!!

bizo1 Silver

Thank you carat. I have sent a message. Please confirm that you received it. I can also send you the email I sent  to the GM if that is helpful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...