25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2015 11:42 AM by merc RSS

When on site at a Marriott property, where do spend most of your time?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A discussion about the common areas favored by younger travelers got me wondering where Insiders spend time while at a Marriott property.

Excluding the time spent sleeping, how do you spend time when staying with Marriott?

There are many variables including which brand, business versus leisure trip, solo or family travel, and undoubtedly several others. That said, I probably spend 95% of my waking hours on site in my room. The other 5% is at the pool (and that doesn't happen at every location). At full-service properties, I often visit the bar or restaurant reducing time in my room. I'm not one to just hang out in the lobby.

So, Insiders. Where do you spend your time at Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When on site at a Marriott property, where do spend most of your time?
    Jsucool76 Gold

I can only be found in one of 3 places at a hotel

1. My Room

2. The lounge

3. Hotel restaurant/bar

Only time you'll find me "hanging out" in the lobby is if I'm waiting for an uber or something, and even then I'll usually stand outside (unless it's raining)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

When I'm by myself, I'm in the room or CL, or maybe the pool if it's a nice resort but usually not if I'm traveling for business.  Sometimes I get ambitious and go to the gym.  When the family is along, we're in the room, CL, restaurant, or pool.  Only once and awhile do I eat in a hotel restaurant by myself - usually only if I have a coupon for breakfast because the CL is closed.  I would NEVER hang out in the lobby unless I was waiting to meet someone, even though some properties (Mayflower, Essex House, Hotel Minneapolis) have beautiful lobbies.  If spouse and I are alone, then we hang out in the room, at the restaurant, or at the pool.  If traveling with a business colleague or friend, still no time in the lobby unless I'm waiting for the other person.  I stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago once and awhile and notice that people do hang out in the skyway between the two buildings because that hotel has media kiosks where people can plug in, get free wifi, sit and work with a nice view, etc.  I don't use that space myself.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Good question, bejacob I'm curious to hear what the community has to say in this thread!! I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot of the same answers from you experienced travelers. 

702rugbyref Platinum

I rarely do anything inside the hotel except relax, do work or sleep.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Bar, CL, room otherwise I'm not in the hotel.

Platinum 28 Reviews

asleep

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Last weekend, it was - in the bathtub!  3 baths during a 36 hour stay.  The over-sized soaking tub in my room at the JW Chicago was simply divine!!

Seriously,

Room - 45%

CL/lobby lounge - 45%

Pool, or less often gym - 10%

I spend about as much time getting ready to go out/getting ready for "beddy" in the room as I do in the CL/lobby lounge eating/drinking while reading/research/socializing (or watching the SF Giants get utterly spanked as I did last Thursday night - the Republican Debate would've actually been a less painful option ), so about 50/50 between those two activities.  If there is a pool (often there isn't), particularly at a full service property, I try to use it.  On rare occasion, I use the gym, but most of the time I am plenty active away from the hotel property.

As you mention bejacob, there are a number of variables.

Of course as IAHFLYR mentions, the Lion's share of our time spent while checked in at a property is spent off site, unless perhaps the property is a resort or else the amenities are sublime.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

If we're at a FI, RI, or SHS ( the three of which probably account for the majority of our stays), the on-site location where we actually spend the most time would be the breakfast room -- obviously for breakfast in the morning and the evening social at RI and some SHSs. Sometimes we'll go for a late-night dip in the pool when it's a child-free zone -- other than that, we're out and about, 'splorin', dining, and recreatin'.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Room watching movies/drinking/ other stuff

Pool/spa

Bar/lounge

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

A hotel is basically a place to sleep for me so I don't hang around it much, preferring to be off-site for leisure, and almost always being off-site for work. When at the hotel and not sleeping I tend to be found in the bar, in the pool, or hanging in the room on my iPad. If the exec lounge has beer, I'm very likely to be found there during beer hours!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Interesting post bejacob:  in order of frequency, room (usually a suite), pool/exercise area, CL, restaurant if available.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Exactly the sort of places one should spend time, bpelican.

Most of my stays run about 12 hours, so excluding sleep, my free time on site is usually limited to a few hours. I'll have to see if that changes with several multi-day stays in a Hawaii in just a couple weeks (not that I expect to spend a lot of time on site ).

Platinum 28 Reviews

Restaurants, Bars, Lounges, CL's, Fitness and Pools!   Wow.  All this and I thought the place was to get a good nights sleep.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

When at a resort property, it's the beach!!  When it's a "typical" location it's probably the bedroom as my wife and I are off somewhere site-seeing or visiting with family.  When it's for work - it's the desk in my room with my laptop and phone going.....

I prefer the stays at the resort properties!!!!!

merc Platinum

I'm usually a room guy, maybe concierge lounge for a snack.  But I tend to go offsite for dinner/bar- except CLE AIRPORT Marriott, the micro beers in the lobby bar are spectacular.  If you are in Cleveland that bar is worth making it a destination.

last year I found myself at the MIA  AIRPORT Marriott.  The front desk person suggested I try the micro beers (it's a theme with me) in the lobby at happy hour.  So I did stop by.  There were two bartenders (Ira & Ash) who's interaction and service kept me in for dinner.  In subsequent stays, (I now tend to book that property for south Florida business) I've made a point to spend an evening at their bar.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...