10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2015 10:20 AM by carat RSS

Marriott Rewards Ko Olina points to trade for timeshare week frozen?

conman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders,

We've owned 2 weeks Ko Olina since 2003. At that time, one would get 110k MR points to trade the week in. In the following 12+ years, the value of MR has seen some serious inflation, with stays requiring more points and new and higher categories being added, decreasing the value of those points dramatically. In the mean time, the maintenance fees have skyrocketed, more than doubled, yet I still only get 110k points when I trade my week. Another limitation is that one can only trade a week for MR points every other year. I am in the Destinations points program as well but find it too limited. My questions to the Insiders:

1) Do all y'all get the same MR points still when trading in a week, or is it just Ko Olina?

2) Did anyone buy a Ko Olina week recently? And if so, what's the price via Marriott and: what is the current MR points trade value?

3) Anyone had any luck selling Ko Olina weeks via Redweek? Marriott itself is hopeless, offering under $10k for a week I bought at $35k and, rumor has it, now goes for around $60k?

Note that despite these issues, I am a Lifetime Platinum Marriott fan :-)

Cheers,

Con Jager

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Ko Olina points to trade for timeshare week frozen?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I don't know if they are still selling weeks at Ko Olina anymore.  We did a timeshare sales presentation there, and they only offered to sell us points in the Marriott land trust, which is a deeded interest in real property located in Orange County, Florida, but it's not tied to any one MVCI resort.  I don't know if that is the same as Destination points.  I don't think it is, because they didn't use the term Destination points.  When we did the presentation about 15 months ago, the trust points were going for about $10 each.  So 3000 points is about $30,000, and the trade in ratio for MCVI points to MR points is 1:32, so 3000 MVCI points gets you 96,000 MR points which is a terrible trade in if you ask me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Good questions conman I've forwarded them onto our team to clarify.

From what I've heard, the Ko Olina is a gorgeous property. I've driven by, but didn't get a chance to take a peak. Would definitely go back and check it out if I had the chance!!

Ko Olina is wonderful!  I would go back anytime.  Maybe conman can sell his weeks to me

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert

A few years ago we stayed at the Ko Olina hotel (either about to become a different brand or already is ).

We were quite disappointed due to the crowds.  Not only was the Vacation Club adding to the crowded conditions but the new Disney resort and the popularity of the area for local residents made IT  literally impossible to find a spot on one of the "inlets" on the beach (the lack of a real beach with the waves etc was also missed).  Add to that the traffic problems our stay was not the vacation we hoped for.

I guess "it's different strokes for different folks" - the clubs and hotels on the other islands have always been our first choice.

APOLOGIES FOR THIS MAN'S OPINION

The JW at Ko Olina closed in May, I think.  It's reopening as a Four Seasons, but I'm not sure when.  I have to agree about the Ko Olina lagoons.  They are not "real" beaches, and I'd prefer a real beach.  But they are good for kids.  We did have our kids along, so the MVCI at Ko Olina was perfect.  It was busy but not overcrowded, but I don't think it would be the ideal spot for a romantic couples escape.  I'd suggest Four Seasons Wailea on Maui for that.

Well well well! Thanks clebert, that is depressing news re the Ihilani! I wasn't aware of that sale! We loved that hotel, stayed many times, and always liked walking over for a dinner while staying at the Beach Club. Especially loved the Japanese restaurant there. Hmm, another reason to sell my Ko Olina weeks...

Platinum 28 Reviews

conman

SUCCESS WITH RED WEEK AND MORE

I'm not a Ko Olina owner but my experience a few mils away might be helpful.

I purchased a time share during construction at Waiohai (Poipu Beach, Kauai).

Needless to say, like most Marriott vacation clubs we had no complaints with the property.  In fact, I believe Waiohai could be one of the premier Hawaii locations.  Furthermore, being on Kauai the cost was close to $10000 less that what was selling on Maui at that time (2001).

The club opened in 2003 and we spent a wonderful Fourth Of July week at our new time share.

Then something happened that we didn't plan on.  As much as we did our best to ****** the progression the kids grew up!!!  Lo and behold by 2010 we found  Waiohai to be overtaken by kids (LOL). The noise and the crowds of families around the BBQ pits etc. simply became too much.  We reached the point of requiring a little peace and quiet.

It was suggested to me to try and rent the time share on REDWEEK. 

The success was immediate.  It is important, though to follow the best procedure to maximize the return.

Every year, 365 days in advance, I reserve a week that includes the 4th of July (The height of the family vacation season). I wait until December or January and list the week for rent on REDWEEK.  I have been pricing it at 2 x the maintenance fee (Waiohai maintenance last year was close to 1700.00).

Then be patient - your unit (if a Marriott AND in Hawaii) is going to rent.  Our experience has been terrific.  The "mileage" we receive (profit of $1500 last year) goes allot farther than the points we would have received if that option was taken.

Furthermore, we have dropped out of Interval since we realized that without young children we actually prefer the hotels at this point in our lives.

This essay wouldn't be complete without what we have recently experienced with these (LOL) huge profits on our week. 

We are lucky to be live in Los Angeles which allows us access by car to many wonderful vacation/resort locations.  So, every year since 2011 (the last five Summers) we load up the car and fight the traffic approximately 150 miles to Coronado Island in San Diego and spend a week at the Marriott on the Island (not a good property, a GREAT property).  The time spent in the car going and returning is about the same time we would have spend in airports so time wise we are way ahead of the game.

At the end of the week we simply open the trunk of the car and dump all our "junk" without worrying what to take on the plane. 

Most importantly, we saved about 500-800.00 per person not needing to fly (Kauai being a little more bucks than flying to HNL).

Hope the above is helpful and apologies for the length of the message..

Thanks much misterchk, that is a great report on your approach and experience. If I could rent my week even AT the maintenance fee level plus 20% to cover taxes I'd be OK with it for now, as at least I wouldn't have a loss. We recently moved from Alaska to NorCal so, like you, plenty of awesome stuff nearby and we don't need our Hawaiian thaw-out weeks anymore :-) Love Hawaii but easy enough to go if one wants without needing the limitations of the timeshare. Hope my Redweek week will sell and I might try your approach for renting the other week out. Thanks again!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I'm such a goober!! My apologies for not answering your question correctly, conman and community!!

I realize you were talking about the Ko Olina property, yet I responded with information about Surfers Paradise.

At any rate, after talking with our team, they have informed us that Marriott Vacation Club is a separate company from Marriott Rewards.  With that being said, they do not have information regarding their properties as well as their policies.  I would advise you to call their customer service line, they will be able to better assist you.

Vacation Club Customer Service: 800-535-4028 and the Owners Service phone number is 800-845-4226

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...