3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2009 4:30 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

CONCERNED ABOUT KAUAI RESORT

sizzle Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

My wife will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in Spring 2010.  We want to go to Hawaii, using our Marriott Rewards Points.  I was open to utilizing a villa exchange, but I definitely feel like Interval Exchange is not of the quality as a Marriott AND you have to be extremely flexible in dates, etc.  We have enough points for Airfare and a 7 night stay which is wonderful.  My question:  we are planning on staying at the KBC....we have read reviews and they range, from "the best vacation ever" to "don't stay here under any circumstance"....personally it makes me nervous.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this property?

We have a studio reserved at the Ko'Olina, however, we are steering away from it because of all of the construction going on with the Disney resort. We want the Hawaii feel, "tropical Paradise" kind of vacation.....so we don't want to see construction, etc.  Please advise as to your thoughts.  Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CONCERNED ABOUT KAUAI RESORT
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Why not call the KBC directly to get an update on their construction timetable?   If you own with Marriott and have deposited with Interval, the best value is to consider exchanging through Interval using the Marriott desk.  Using points at an MVCI property is not the best value especially since Marriott raised the number of points required effective July 2009.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dhtreat Silver

Having lived on Kauai for years, I would NOT stay at this resort.  It is in the wrong location, and under the flight path for the airport.

With Marriott, you've only got one other choice in Poipu.  That's the timeshare property.  I've stayed there as well, and while not bad, it is a glorified Fairfield in quality.  They spent their money on the land.  This was confirmed by the manager of the sales staff when I made the comment.  I had expected a comparable to Ko Olina as it is brand new, but they ran out of money.

Since you're going to God's isle, stay somewhere in Princeville.

tjcnewyork Platinum

The comments about this resort and the proximity to the airport and planes flying overhead do not coincide with my experience or reality. I think it is misleading information.

With the exception of Niihau, the Forbidden Island of Hawaii which is privately owned, Kauai is the most westerly in the Hawaiian archipelago. The lion's share of air traffic out of Lihue Airport heads northeast towards the US mainland or southeast to Honolulu - the opposite direction from the Marriott resort.

More recent comments on TripAdvisor.com have mixed reactions about the impact of construction/refurbishment that elevate concern.  Again, the best course of action is to check with the hotel directly about the construction timetable.  Will construction be complete by Spring 2010?  If it is, then you'll be enjoying a newly refurbished resort. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...