65 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2015 11:08 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Why I stay at Courtyard about 30% of the time

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know there is little love for CY on this site, but here is why I choose to stay at Courtyard almost one out of every three stays. For me the decision is based on three factors

1. Location – wherever I go, finding a CY is easy. In many areas I visit, there are no full service brands so the choice is between CY, FI, and RI (see item 3 below).
  2. Price – since I almost always use the government rate, it’s merely a matter of finding a property that offers it. CY frequently does, though when I can find a FS brand in the same area, I always pick that over CY. When I can stay at a JW, Ren, or FS Marriott for the same price as a CY, I'd be crazy to pass that up, especially with Platinum benefits such as potential upgrades and CL access.
  3. Platinum Arrival Gift – since reaching Platinum, this is a factor at non-full service brands (CY offers 400 points. SHS, FI, RI, and TPS each offer 200 points). Also since most of my stay are for one night, staying at 3 CYs over 3 FIs, yields 1200 points instead of 600 points. Choosing a FS brand is better at 500 points but unless the government rate is offered, the price usually difference doesn't make sense.

No matter where I stay, about half the time I don't eat breakfast at the hotel. At locations with a CL or brands that include breakfast, I often am already on the road before breakfast is available. At CY, I don't even consider the Bistro for breakfast. I will admit to having dinner at a CY Bistro twice, both times because after a full day of driving, I just couldn't make myself get back in my car (and there was nothing good within walking distance).

So, while CY is not my first choice (definitely prefer Ren or FS Marriott which combined make up about 25% of my stays) CY often becomes my go to brand for the reasons above.

As I mentioned at the opening of this post, I know many Insiders don't have a favorable impression of the CY brand. While not my favorite, I do find myself staying at CY almost a third of the time.

How about you?

Do you avoid CY or do you end up staying there more than you prefer for some of the same reasons I do?

• Re: Why I stay at Courtyard about 30% of the time
    ndn Platinum

I avoid CY. Most of the locations I stay in for work have multiple options. In fact, where I spent 30 nights a year has all of the following options:

4 Courtyard properties

4 Full-service properties

1 JW Marriott

1 Autograph colection

1 Ritz-Carlton

From those choices, my rate at the JW is almost always cheaper than the Courtyard properties. Sometimes the full-service properties are cheaper than the JW. The Autograph Collection property at times has awesome rates. Nonetheless, I tend to stay at the Ritz-Carlton most, since the rates are very close to the JW rates anyway. In other words, the Courtyard properties are a complete waste of money for me--pay more and get less.

When I travel to other locations for business, I am usually in a JW, Westin, or full-service Marriott--all of which are well within my corporate budgets and with rates that are usually better than nearby select-service properties.

For pleasure, I stay often in Residence Inns or Marriott Vacation Club properties, since they offer multiple bedrooms and full kitchens. I will also stay in Ritz-Carlton, JW, or full-service properties on pleasure stays when not with my son. I just see no point to Courtyard. They are useless to me.    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Given the list of choices you have, I'd avoid CY too.

I normally only pick CY when the choice between FI, RI, TPS, SHS, and CY (and usually only for one night). With better options, CY will lose out every time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

annew20 Silver

We usually prefer to stay at Residence Inn's for the 1 BR upgrades & breakfast.  However, we had a free Cat. 5 cert to use before it expired in 2 weeks & we were on our way to San Diego from Orange County.  We couldn't find any cat. 5 properties in the San Diego area so we chose the Courtyard Solano Beach/Del Mar hotel & I loved it!  It was a great little gem in a cute beach town.  They upgraded us to an executive suite.  The room was spacious. This property was clean, modern, & comfortable.  I loved the outdoor courtyard with fireplace & bistro patio.  It was close to the beach & restaurants.  And the platinum arrival points are more than RI.  So this Courtyard is a winner!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We used to always stay at Fort Myers Hotels | Courtyard Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast when we would go to Ft. Myers as the location was perfect for us with RSW about two miles away, good dining options in Gulf Coast Town Center.  We always had a very nice 1 BR Suite and the bartender Jeff is one of the best period, so always fun to visit with him. 

After one stay my wife complained about the bed saying they are so uncomfortable which they actually are as well as the decor very dated, so we were very excited to see a new Residence Inn being built directly across the parking lot Residence Inn Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast Town Center: Fort Myers Extended Stay Hotels.  Well once that opened about this time last year we have yet to return to the CY other than to see good ole Jeff.  The RI is simply a fresh pleasant experience with very comfortable beds and grills to use as I do love to cook on the grill. 

We also used to stay at the Downtown Houston Hotels | Houston TX Hotels  in Downtown Houston when we attend games, theater or concerts.  The CY is located in the old Humble Oil building which also houses ,Downtown Houston Hotel | Residence Inn Houston Downtown Hotel we have not been back to the CY there either in about three years.  In fact we are attending an Astros game very soon and will try out Hotels in Houston | Autograph Collection | Hotel ICON Houston as the room rates are equal to or better than either RI or CY and about the same distance to Minute Maid Park.

So not a fan of CY anymore.

Just a note of clarification. While I do stay at CY about 30% of the time, it doesn't mean I'm a huge fan. CY only works for me because of price/MR points, limited Marriott brand option where I travel, and the fact that I only eat breakfast at any property about a quarter of the time. I do like to grab a free breakfast when I can, though with the way I travel, 7:00 is too late to wait around (my county collecting hobby typically involves 400-500 miles and 12 hours on the road each day. If I want to arrive by dinnertime, I need to get an early start ). If the CL opens at 6:00, I'm one of the first ones through the door. Same is true at FI, SHS, and RI.

I agree with IAHFLYR that Residence Inn is generally a better brand. If they offered more than 5 points per dollar, I might choose them a little more frequently.If SHS gave more than 200 arrival points (and if they were more ubiquitous) I'd pick them. My favorite brand is still Renaissance and if I can get the gov't rate at any full service property, I'm there. I managed to do that for the Waikiki Beach Marriott which is part of the reason why it's the only hotel on my upcoming kharada46 visit not reserved on points.

Perhaps I should have titled this post, Why I stay at any brand but Courtyard 70% of the time.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i stay at courtyards due to convenience 

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

bejacob,

Not to mention the Waikiki Marriott's rates aren't actually that much higher than the CY Waikiki... unless you don't have a car, then the CY is significantly cheaper, but it's also older and noisier.   Great thing about this CY, though, is the staff and it's uniqueness.  But the rooms are small too...

I actually prefer the CY Kahului Airport to the Wailea Marriott.  The CY is pretty quiet, the rooms are of a good size, the furniture isn't broken (as it was at the Marriott) and that our room isn't a petri dish (as was the case at the Marriott).  There's also no resort fee and I've never been charged the stated $10/night parking fee.  Well that and I get a free item from the Market + my points.   Not to mention it's in the middle of the island, so while not a beach location, it's a great base of operations for sightseeing. 

Likewise the CY in Kona was FANTASTIC!  Nice property with LARGE rooms... not cookie cutter at all (the Maui one is).  Service was top notch and I got points + a gift of my choice.  No resort fee too and location right on the beach, a restaurant on-site that actually looks good and super central location?  What's not to love?  Well, besides the issue I had with the shower being too low for me

Have yet to try the CY North Shore or the CY on Kauai, so I'll hold judgement, though the North Shore one is cookie cutter and is REALLY expensive. 

I do prefer full service Marriotts & JW Marriotts though. 

In terms of design/visual aesthetics, etc. I prefer Hyatt Regency and Park Hyatt.  They tend to be sleek and modern.  Andaz also looks fantastic with and they have cool perks like everything being free in the mini bar (except for booze).  Hyatt Places (CY equivalent) offers free breakfast to guests. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

It is sad that the Wailea Marriott is rated so poorly not only here on MRI but sites like TripAdvisor. As much as I love Maui I don't ever see myself staying there based on the reviews. I have stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea, the Sheraton at Black Rock, and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. For my money, nothing beats the location and aloha spirit at the KBH. I am glad to hear the CY on Maui is a good property!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Most of my travel is to downtown areas of big cities or resort areas, so I'm usually at a FS Marriott, Autograph, Renaissance, JW or maybe even RC.  I like all of those brands but wish the Marriott flagship brand would freshen things up with the décor and vibe.  Hyatt's Regency and Grand hotels are light years ahead of Marriott when it comes to style and updated décor.  But, like bejacob, I also travel to/around rural areas where the choices are FFI, SHS or CY, and maybe RI or TPS.  I've stayed at CY in Mendota Heights, MN, Gettysburg, PA, London, ON, and Charlottesville, VA when those locations were convenient.  All were fine.  Actually, London and Gettysburg upgraded me to large suites, so that was certainly nice.  We have family in Fargo, ND which only has RI, FFI and CY.  RI was a disaster as it's across the street from a hockey complex and was teeming with unruly adolescent boys who ran up and down the halls all night like a herd of buffalo and completely overran the breakfast buffet, and I will never stay there again.  FFI is ok.  But next time we will try CY (actually in nearby Moorhead, MN) just because the others are not too great.  If CY really does have mostly business travelers as it advertises, I may have to start staying there to get away from the tourist masses who can really slow a business traveler down.

702rugbyref Platinum

I never looked at it this way but very insightful. Most of my travel needs brings me near a downtown and near a freeway for convenience. I prefer FS Marriott's but does not always work out. Also maybe CY provides more opportunities for my discounts such as AAA and VIP Athletic rates.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great insights, everyone. Thank you for sharing.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

beajacob,

I'm in total agreement with your reasoning for staying at Courtyards.  I also prefer to stay at full service brands which offer lounge access but many times location and offering of govt rate will play a large factor in where I stay.   There are also several Courtyard properties that I frequent that really excel at customer service (e.g. consistently offering room upgrades) and even though I may not get a free breakfast at these properties its always a very enjoyable stay.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I stayed at the CY at the University of Delaware on a cert once. That property is used for their Hospitality Industry courses/training. It was a great stay. Arrived for late check-in, the front desk staff was very friendly. We were given a choice of free treat from the little market shop there are the front desk. The room was very clean and spacious. Wifi worked well. Got a good nights sleep and went on to enjoy the football game!

Platinum 28 Reviews

bejacob

(haven't had the time to read all comments - so mine might be redundant)

Firstly, I am not one that will avoid a CY.  CY is a wonderful concept and seems to be evolving by adding those conveniences and services that the traveling business person is requiring and/or demanding.

When I began my business career my overnights were spent in hotels that today would be closed by health departments.

Now, successful I enjoy  full service properties.  Consequently those properties are my first choice.

That said I have found CY's, in many cases, to have rooms that are actually more comfortable than full service locations.

CY's are also not my 2nd choice simply by the services and accommodations offered by Residence Inn's and Springhill.

We all love suites - the properties described above not only are always suites but include many amenities that CY's don't.

Summing up - the continuing evolution of CY's, I believe, willl eventually present a concept that will be accepted by a larger percentage of the traveling community.

misterchk, it sounds like we're almost on the same page with regards to CY. Maybe not first, maybe not second, but certainly worth considering when 1st and 2nd choices don't work out for some reason.

As to SHS vs. CY. I prefer the room layout at SHS and stay there with some regularity. One huge advantage for CY is the number of properties. Almost 1 in 4 properties (over 1000 worldwide) is a CY.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Like you, when I travel for business I need to obtain the government rate which is not always easy to do in my preferred brand of hotel. With that said, I avoid the CY like the plague unless it is my only choice for a government rate in an area where I am going. I would rather take the 5 points at a RI if I can find a RI available at the government rate.

I avoid Courtyard out of principle. I actually like their rooms and even the set up of the hotel but the fact that the only thing a Platinum member receives is ONE SMALL coffee at the Bistro PER STAY (not even per night) is just insulting. It's not that I think I am necessarily deserving of a gift or special treatment. I stay at RI frequently despite the lack of elite member lounge but the idea that they recognize their most local customers by simply offering a $2 small coffee per say just doesn't sit well with me. I am not a big breakfast eater but I appreciate being able to have coffee in the morning and maybe some fruit or something small so a lounge at a full service or the RI is great for me and I think just sets a tone for my trip.

Sometimes I have no choice including a trip I have at the end of September to Charlotte. If I want the convenience of staying downtown, the Courtyard opened up for a short period of time at the government rate so I reserved it and I will be happy to be downtown but it certainly would not be my first choice if had other options.

702rugbyref Platinum

As a fellow Platinum member, I appreciate your comments. For me as I work for the County, I do not even qualify for government rates most of the time - which is a much greater frustration level in itself. I mean, what would it matter what level of government one works in given you are working for a government should be satisfactory enough.

taxman193, your thoughts are shared by many members of this forum. I'm still aggressively building my lifetime balance, so every point counts. I love RI, but the earning potential tends to keep me away. Maybe once I cross the 1M points mark, I'll feel differently.

Great comments on the topic. I'll be curious to hear about how the new Charlotte CY is. Please let us know.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

bejacob I can certainly understand your desire to obtain that lifetime balance so if I was in your position (I made lifetime last year) I would be doing the same thing!

By the way, the Courtyard is not new. I think your thinking of the Fairfield Inn downtown Charlotte that is new. I have not stayed at the FI yet but I do have some reservations there for October. Some coworkers stayed at the new FI and they liked it. A bit of a walk to get to the action downtown but I guess the rooms and hotel are unlike any other FI and more like a full service Marriott so this may be a good option and the government rate is readily available.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Have you thought about getting the Marriott Amex?  (Corrected to Visa.)

Since our bank gives points on the credit card, I charge as much as possible on it and then pay it off monthly.  At least I've been able to do that so far.

My husband retired in Jan. and we just started living off pensions and SSI, and then we bought a place that we're moving into this coming week in MB, SC.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

eb5147,

I think you mean the Marriott Chase Visa Card.  Last time I checked Marriott did not have an Amex card offering.  You are right though using the Marriott credit card is a great way to earn points for everyday spending if your able to pay it off each month.

From Oct. 16, 2014 until July 2015, we've been staying at hotels and resorts across the south, including IHG where I was able to buy 100 K pts. for my husband's acct. for $550 and then for my acct., I supposedly bought 120 K pts. for $650.  I haven't checked that acct. yet, so I'm just assuming they're there.

We've just about used up all our Marriott reward points, so everything now will be out of pocket except for the $1000 E-Gift cert. we still have.

But what I have to say is that CY has been really good to offer extras because of my husband's PP status.

The CY in Florence, SC gave us a coupon for a big Starbucks for all 3 of us, a nice room upgrade to a HUGE one BR suite, and a pantry item.  Really nice of them.

The CY Broadway at the Beach in MB, SC gave us a nice upgrade once with a big 1 BR suite and a market item besides points.

I probably should have kept a notebook on what all happened during the 9 mos. we were just traveling while trying to find a place to live permanently, but I didn't.  We thought about moving back to TX, but the illegals are very much a big problem there, as was the heat and population density, even in Waco, TX which was a lot smaller when we left TX in '88.

Ck. out the rates of the rooms according to points if you're thinking of using pts.  You can look for a category in each state.

Pearl, MS CY was a lot nicer than the category would indicate.  I think it was only 10,000 pts., but really nice, and an upgrade.

TPS and FFI were often cat. 1 and so much better than that, but with their being new, you're really the guinea pig to find all of the bugs, like wall switches that are inverted and are useless as we found at the FFI in Farmersville, LA.  We had just stayed at another FFI that had the same room scheme and knew how they were supposed to work.  Evidently, there was a package of switches, screws, plates, etc. for each room and the person working in the room wasn't always able to figure out how each package was to be used.

If they were nicer and in a location we wanted, like the one in Desoto, TX near my sister's home, we'd stay there 4 days on pts. to get the 5th day free.  (I couldn't find that IHG does anything like the free 5th day.)  

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

To paraphrase Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, "Courtyard don't waffle!" "Waffle, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of waffle in the morning."

Platinum 28 Reviews

foxglove  Check out my article on this site:  My Name Is Misterchk And I'm A waffleholic!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

misterchk It takes courage for someone to admit he has a problem. I myself have been close to rock-bottom, finding myself walking by the frozen Eggo section in the grocery store time and again, eyeing those golden beauties and hearing their cold siren song, when I suddenly had my "moment of clarity": Hey, fool, there's a Waffle House just down the street! Ohhhhhhhhhh, the relief.

702rugbyref Platinum

I could only WISH for a Waffle House nearby!

You made me laugh out loud.

Thanks, foxglove.

i don't think the courtyard ( bistro) design is at all accidental . Bill Marriott was on again on Chris Wallace and said that half their guests are millenniums. He said that in the past a guest would check in go to their room and the next time they went to lobby was at check out. Now they want to hang out in lobby area and work or use an iPad , computer or phone. The bistro accommodates this and i have seen at CY and FS Marriotts a lot of people hanging out. Some of us boomers may have liked the restaurant but the average guest seems to want something else and according to Marriott within a few years 60% will be millenniums

You're right about that.  We boomers aren't able to travel as much as we used to anyway for the most part.  Mr. B. retired in Jan. at age 73 and recently got a pacemaker that has helped a lot, so we've only stayed 24 nights so far this year.  With 210 rollover nights, he'll make Plat. again this year, but not PP as he had done probably.  It really doesn't matter because of lifetime plat.

You are right.  I'm gen X and don't really like hanging in the lobby, but I guess the young 'uns want to see and be seen.

My thoughts exactly, clebert. I'm also a gen Xer (albeit one of the older ones ) and I don't find any enjoyment hanging in the lobby of a CY. Maybe at a Ren or JW, but never a CY.

Give me my room, the bar or out of the hotel just not being in the lobby doing anything.

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert

If you are referring to "young'uns  where does that put me?? 

Does anyone have a list for my group - maybe the Marriott Hotel and Mortuary - Genx'r - WOW - hate to tell you but there are not many of us left.  Have you ever hear of a group called "war babies"?

The millennials don't even think about any of us over 30.  If you're 35, 62 or 90, it's all the same to them   The mail clerk at my office has no idea how to spell my name and couldn't care less because I'm completely irrelevant in her world.  But I have more purchasing power but I suppose Marriott is trying to get the young 'uns in the system as they, too, will have money someday....  I'd suggest that Marriott revamp its stodgy décor in the FS flagship Marriott properties if they intend to attract a younger crowd.  Hyatt and Westin really have good examples or sleek, modern updated décor.  Marriott should freshen things up.  The RC are too stuffy, as well, even though I do love the RCs and their formal, traditional décor.   Are war babies the same as baby boomers?  Or the greatest generation?  Or the baby bust? 

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert

I was told the new concept for Renaissance will be similar to the "W" concept that is designed to cater to the "younger crowd".............

LAX Ren was kind of like that - loud, booming club-type music and also lighting and décor was kind of like a night club.  I just chalked it up to being in LA.  Who would go to a hotel right next to LAX to hang out in the lobby and party?  Maybe people were there for a night on their way to or from Asia or Oceania which seemed to be what everyone there (including us) was doing.  Thing is, the lobby WAS full of people dressed up like they were at a night club.  So apparently this strategy is working just fine, and I'm old and out of touch   Having said that, I liked LAX Ren quite a bit and would stay again in similar circumstances.  The kids loved watching planes take off and land, and there was a Burger King right across the street, so they were happy.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Please no negative comments about the Los Angeles Airport Renaissance.  I personally feel it sacrilege to criticize a property that serves the best onion soup in the country!!!!

We got the chocolate cake, and it was pretty darn good.  And when I say "we" I meant that it took 4 of us to eat the thing because it was so big.

There seems to be something about Marriott's recipes for French onion soup.  I'm assuming that's what you were talking about.  Anyway, the best French onion soup we've ever had was at the Stone Mountain, GA Evergreen Marriott.  That was years ago, but it still makes my mouth water.  We've never been able to find a recipe to come close, nor found any anywhere else to match.  (Not going to L.A. for onion soup.) 

Platinum 28 Reviews

What are friends for eb5147. I live only 25 miles from the Los Angeles Renaissance.  Assuming normal traffic that's only a two day trip there and two days back - you cover my 4 nights in a few Marriott's and I'll overnight a few gallons to you.

misterchk

I live 25 miles from the Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach, so opposite sides of the country. 

I saw gas at the Mobile station today for $2.08.  I know it isn't that in CA because my husband worked in San Francisco years ago and we would go to visit him every few weeks.    We do want to make another trip to San Francisco some day in the near future and I would like to see San Diego where I was conceived on my parents' honeymoon and where my father and brother went to boot camp at Camp Pendleton.

Platinum 28 Reviews

eb5147  I'll be in San Francisco end of August at the Fisherman's Wharf property - come on over Dinner for all is on me!!!

clebert

I agree about Marriott revamping.  Their beds are full size touted as queen size in Columbia, SC downtown at least.  It's a shame that we had king and queen beds at the RI and couldn't get that at a FS Marriott, isn't it?  So disparaging.

Not only that, but Marriott affiliates like RI in Columbia, SC NE have had bean counters to come in to decide that each room should only have 2 towels, 2 wash cloths, and 2 hand towels even though the room is set up for more than 2 people.

We war babies (I was born in '48 and the end of the war baby years) are baby boomers, the start of them that lasted until about 1960 or maybe a few years before, like 57.  The greatest generation is all but gone.  They were the WWII participants, and I would even consider those who sacrificed their materials and went on rationing stamps, as well as the bond purchasers to be among them to a lesser degree, of course.

A war baby is considered to be the first born of a soldier returning from war and anxious to start a family.  They didn't have to be the oldest in the family since a soldier who was interrupted in having a family was put in the same category.

The greatest generation was coined in recent years after a book by the same name written by a newscaster.  I would probably be wrong if I called up a name without looking it up.    (War baby age showing.) 

Platinum 28 Reviews

eb5147 You're going to have to respect this elder - I am the first born of an active duty Marine officer in 1944 -  my birthday is easy to remember - D-DAY.  (in reference to my birthday I'm registered for gifts at Bank of America if you wanted to make note of it - LOL).

Our generation is disappearing - so stay well and enjoy.

misterchk,

So you are definitely a war baby, also.

You make me laugh out loud a lot.  Thanks.

Thanks for the nice offer at the wharf, too.  We're moving into our new home right now, so that's a bit too soon, but I wish you a very enjoyable trip.  So many good restaurants there, including China town's.

Mr. B was consulting for CAAA while he was out there for about a year.  (He didn't make consultant's wages, but his company got them for what they charged.) 

superchief1 Platinum

I understand why you frequently stay at Courtyards since you are still working to lifetime platinum status, and more importantly, frequently don't eat breakfast at the hotel.

I prefer to eat breakfast at the hotel and want something quick with healthy options. The previous buffet offered this at a fair price. The bistro does not meet my needs for breakfast so I only consider CY for specific situations.

I prefer Hilton Garden Inns over CY because of the buffet (complimentary to Gold). I consider HGI to offer everything that a CY does plus typically nicer rooms and facilities, complimentary coffee, and buffet breakfast. 

702rugbyref Platinum

I stayed at a Hilton Garden last night in Utah and was impressed.

We've stayed at a few Hilton Garden Inns in Albuquerque, NM; Meridian, MS; and Jacksonville, MS.  I really enjoyed them and they were all so nice.

We left something in the room in Albuquerque and they had it all ready for us to pick up when my son went in to get it a short time later.

Glad you understand superchief1. I miss the old CY buffet too. These days, if I think I will be sticking around for breakfast and I can't find a full service property, I'll look for a SHS. I wish there were more of them around.

Platinum 28 Reviews

The problem with Spinghill:  .I  Now attend Waffleholics meetings regularly and the availability those "make your own waffle" machines  could cause me to "fall off the wagon"!!!!    (haha)

702rugbyref Platinum

You and your waffles! I must try them the next time and see if you  really know what you are talking about

mjvbfpa Platinum

I never stay at CY due to no free breakfast.  I travel every week and have been splitting my time between Hilton (Diamond) and Marriott (platinum premiere elite), properties.  I used to stay at full service Marriotts, but you cannot get the room cool enough to sleep well.  Stayed at a Renaissance for two weeks and even thought they had first class service, the room never got below 70 degrees.  AC folks checked it out and said it was working as it should.  I was moved to another room and same thing.  I have never stayed at a Hilton property that I could not make my room nice and cold at night.  Plus, most Marriott properties are locking out the thermostat's so you cannot lower the room temp below 65 degrees and it has a motion sensor.  At night, when you are sleeping and not moving, the AC will not run!!  Many of my colleagues are following my lead as well.  I am told it is to be green and conserve energy.  Just a way to save money I am sure.

jt15550 Platinum

This is an interesting thread.  For the past 12 years, I pretty much stayed at Courtyards almost exclusively.  Several reasons - first of all, if your travel requirements take you outside of the large metropolitan areas (especially in the midwest US), they’re the one Marriott chain that’s available almost anywhere, and the experience is largely positive and is certainly consistent.  Secondly, I was working for fairly cost-conscientious companies - CY was actually in the upper range of what they wouldn’t question.  I stayed in one or two fleabag motels during that time as well just out of necessity.  Usually my stays were one or two nights in town, and then back home - so the length of stay was relatively short as well.

Now that I’ve changed jobs in the last month, without knowing it my lifestyle has changed as well.  I now travel mostly internationally, for stays of at least 5-6 days or more, and where the amount of travel necessitates full-service capabilities.  At the same time, however, I found myself redeeming all of my reward nights for personal weekend trips at CY’s exclusively.  At 10-15k points per night, it’s a great way to make those points last.  I’ve also stayed at CY’s a few weeks ago while I was cranking through the stays for my platinum challenge, and had no complaints at all.

I did hit the bistro breakfast each morning I was able, and while it was decent - having four menu options means you’d get tired of the same thing almost immediately.  As for millennials with cool/hip lobby experiences?  Please.  If you’re hanging out in a hotel lobby to have a good time, you’re doing it wrong.  Courtyards are by-and-large well-maintained, conveniently located, have reliable internet access, and are reasonably priced for personal or light business travel for small to mid-sized organizations.  

I’d say redeem at Courtyard, earn points everywhere else.

most large companies report ales and profit by division and give analysis and to comparisons to prior year so you can get a trend. As best I know Marriott doesn't but wonder with all the negative to at best neutral reviews on Courtyard if the revenue is up or down since they made the changes

jt15550

I really have to disagree with you.  With 400 points for a check in bonus and 10 points per $1 spent, it's one of the best places to earn in my book.

Redeem instead at Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites where you only get 200 pts. per arrival (even though you might be there for more than 5 years), only 5 pts. per $1 spent, and no free local phone calls; but where you do get free breakfast and sometimes awesome amenities like a resort might have, especially at RI.

Also, as I mentioned in one of the other posts; check the points needed per night in each state at different places.  I've been finding that the newer hotels are in class 1 for only 7500 pts., or 30,000 pts. for 5 nights.  You'll probably be the guinea pig to find which switches don't work and other problems from poor construction done by contracting done to people who bid low for the jobs and then use illegals for the work, but the problems aren't usually anything that major.

And, also, when searching for a place to check into, always ask whether or not there are point savers available at the hotel.  You won't be advised of them otherwise from my experiences.  You have to use the reservations line to inquire about them unless they show up online and I don't know how to find the point saver places.  

jt15550 Platinum

Not sure of the disagreement, my point was it all comes down to who is paying for what.  If your employer is reimbursing you for the stay, then it makes sense to spend that $1 = 10 pts on a $250 FS Marriott stay as opposed to a $150 CY nightly rate.  Do note so far, I've earned the majority of my stays/points through Courtyard, because the expectation at my last job was to be 'economical'.  Now I'm glad to see how the 'other half' lives.    Regardless, I never want to pay for a personal night stay out of my own pocket, and I feel that 10k-15k for a CY night is the best 'bang for the buck' out there, due to their general availability and consistency across locations.  I haven't yet seen a 7500 point stay when I've looked, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for them in the future.  Not a lot of RI's or TS's where I frequent, however.

702rugbyref Platinum

I had two separate stays in CY this weekend. I got my 400 bonus points, welcome gift which was a choice from the pantry. I am fine with this since I am not a Starbucks fan and I normally do not eat breakfast at the hotel anyway.

Is Courtyard still the official hotel of the NFL, or did that couple I saw in the Moorhead, MN, Courtyard lobby only look like Tom and Giselle? 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

You make some valid arguments. I agree that if the location is good, and the FS Marriott is considerably more, I will stay at the CY. I also don't travel for work so CYs on weekends often have good/great rates especially for elites. The fact there is no lounge doesn't matter since the lounges are closed in FS Marriott properties on Sat night anyway. One last thing is that since CY properties on weekends do not have high occupancy, they are quiet. 

Free breakfast at FS which has always been the full breakfast for us when the CL is closed!!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I can think of two properties where the non CL breakfast is better. The Pittsburgh Airport Marriott which I stay in at least twice a year has a nice lil lounge on the 15th floor but the breakfast served in the Regatta restaurant is a very nice buffet with eggs, waffles, breads, meat, potatoes, lots of breads and danishes and several fresh fruit options. The best free FS Marriott breakfast was at the Marriott Troy in Michigan. It was in their restaurant and the spread was excellent!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...