28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2015 5:31 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE?

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What Is MARRIOTT REWARDS INSIDERS  purpose?

Is it to provide vital information for the benefit of Elite Marriott members?

Is it a social site?

More importantly is the information posted subject to censorship by Marriott or others?

Recently there was a posting advising of a health problem at a Marriott property. Repeated attempts requesting the name of the property has been ignored.

No (site) community leader or Marriott representative has had the courtesy to publicly, or privately, advise me or the community why this information has been withheld.

It is quite possible that I have a different opinion (or understanding) of the purpose of this site.

I always assumed the "mission" of this site was to provide valuable information that would aid and benefit this community.  Information that would enhance our decision making ability when choosing properties that make traveling more enjoyable, safer and hassle free. 

The fact that the site has also evolved into a social site was the "icing" on the proverbial "cake".  We have met (digitally and in person), exchanged personal information, and have developed friendships.

Now, back to the issue at hand.  An issue that might, in fact, finally get me banned from the site (think of it - a day without the sarcasm and obnoxiousness of MISTERCHK!

That said, when one uses the word "censorship", eyes open and someone is going to ask, "who is this troublemaker". 

Worst case scenario will find me  knocking on Hilton or Hyatt's door asking for entrance.  My preference would be to stay where I am!!!

YOUR COMMENTS AND OPINION ON THIS QUESTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE?
    KatieC Member

@misterchk - We hear you, we truly value your contributions, opinions and comments, and it is never our intent to censor this site. NathalieF posted a response to your question on the Great service, but bed bug bites? thread. 

Insiders is a social site, here to provide a forum for Marriott Rewards members to share their tips, stories, photos, questions, concerns and ideas. What you said above is true, and we love it:

I always assumed the "mission" of this site was to provide valuable information that would aid and benefit this community.  Information that would enhance our decision making ability when choosing properties that make traveling more enjoyable, safer and hassle free.

The fact that the site has also evolved into a social site was the "icing" on the proverbial "cake".  We have met (digitally and in person), exchanged personal information, and have developed friendships.

Please keep sharing your thoughts and opinions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

KatieC

Was this an answer or a comment? 

If it was an answer it was ambiguous at best. In other words you are agreeing with me without making  information important to the community available.

If I am about to book a business trip and there is a health issue with a property the withholding of information that can be detrimental to a stay suggests it is an economical concern rather than a customer service concern.

If this is the position of the corporation than this site and those of us that are hear to help our fellow travelers is a waste of our valuable time.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well I had a look at yosof's thread and he mentioned both the establishments as the San Mateo Marriott and the (now closed) RC Phoenix. He mentioned the names quite openly following your post indicating he had an obligation to do so.

The only censorship I've noticed on this site was when I suggested an individual was a foaming-at-the-mouth-loony, that got me a telling off and the removal of the words, but not my reasoning, and another occasion when I used the word "arse" and the word came out as ****

So, no, I don't see any brand-censorship on this site

702rugbyref Platinum

My 'verbage' has been censored and came out *****

702rugbyref Platinum

Did you get an answer to the Bud bugs?

joshm Member

misterchk,

We always love your posts. You ask critical questions, spark fruitful and constructive discussions, and facilitate great interactions with other members of the community.

Regarding the topic you mention specifically, the moderation team here at Insiders worked hard to escalate the situation to the appropriate parties, seek clarity, retrieve the right information, and get that information distributed to the forum concerning a sensitive topic. The critical nature of getting things right concerning this took some time; furthermore, at no point in time was any kind of censorship taking place. The ONLY time the folks here in the forum will get involved with content is when that content violates the guidelines that stipulate positive and constructive engagement in this forum, or personally identifiable information is disclosed. The property in question has been disclosed to the community, both by the team and the thread's author, as you can see.

We, as a team that functions within this forum, serve the community. You are our priority. We, without knowing whether we will receive answers, information, clarity, or context, take every issue brought to this forum very seriously, even if it means passing along details we're almost certain will not end in a stellar outcome. We are messengers working, to the best of our abilities, with the tools and information we are given.

Please, if you have a question that needs answering, be it an inquiry as to health hazards or anything at all, do not hesitate to reach out to the community. We will happily provide any and all information we can retrieve, but based on the inquiry, those actions can take time. I feel compelled to reiterate, as a lover of this forum as a person and professional, that we very much want to help in any and every way that we can!

There is actually a great thread that speaks to the purpose of this forum, and I've included it below:

Re: The Purpose of Marriott Rewards Insiders

As always, your perspective is immensely valued. I like this thread in particular from you back in February:

WITH ALL THE CRITICISM LET'S TURN POSITIVE: WHAT BENEFIT OF MARRIOTT REWARDS DO YOU VALUE THE MOST

To clarify, this is a comment. My thoughts on the issue as a member of this community based on the knowledge I have as well as the information I've been provided. This group is great, because we can have the tough conversations, ask the tough questions, and share with one another.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Your concerns and comments are appreciated.  My only intention is not letting this site become a "what did you do on your Summer vacation" type of site.

Many, if not the majority of properties carrying a Marriott brand are independently owned and operated.  Consequently the only way Marriott and the "insiders" will be aware of problems is when we "blow their cover" so to speak and let everyone in the community know where the problems are.

As long as I am able, I won't shut up (been doing it and getting into trouble as far back a kindergarten LOL).

Have a great day

joshm Member

I like that a great deal, misterchk. Folks like yourself are the voice that drives thoughtful engagement forward, to a greater and more beneficial place than a mere reflection of experience type of forum (although we LOVE that too ).

Don't stop being that voice! Just make sure you don't post any personally identifiable information.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

joshm

This is supposed to be our site however when we have complained about changes that make this site harder and more tome consuming to use, these have been ignored.  I have complained about this site and the Marriott site and no one responds.  This is the main reason that I have become less active.  It is too much of a pain to sign in, etc.  I get surveys from Marriott asking me what would make me use the Marriott site more and I tell them.  Many deaf ears.

The Hilton web site is now far superior to Marriotts.  What I liked in Marriotts was removed and it is a pain to use.

I hate clicking on the mouse.  I would prefer to enter a date and not have to pull up a calendar which might take 10 clicks.  Sometimes as many for the check out date.  For things that I was able to use the "Return" or "enter" key, it no longer accepts these, I must click on "update"  This might be what the programmers like but not me.  A study concluded that the more mouse clicks, the more likely one will leave the site.

Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to sign into this site?  It used to be easy and they changed it for the worse.  Many complained but to deaf ears.

702rugbyref Platinum

We have complained about the login stuff...frustrating

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This has come up many times in the past but no one listens.  For the Marriott site too.  Marriott uses the web to get reservations.  This is important and they just don't care.

I used to use National often and they changed their site and I dislike it so much that I quit using it and now use Enterprise among others.

Platinum 28 Reviews

californian

What is ironic is that Enterprise owns National !!!!   (Alamo is another division of Enterprise)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is saying something because I find Enterprise's site to be very basic and while it does work, it's kinda cumbersome and doesn't let you pull up past reservations and things like that (at least not that I saw). I suppose the idea of substance over style is the right one, so often it is the other way around and is very annoying. What good is a fancy site that doesn't allow you to complete everything you want to?

joshm Member

californian,

I, too, share the same issues with using the website. You and the rest of the community are not alone in that regard. We, as moderators of this forum, experience the same things you do.

We've shared these issues a handful of times, and will continue to re-iterate the complications and pain points in the user experience, both in this forum's construct as well as the Marriott website. As I alluded to previously, we are advocates for you all in this forum, and will continually share your perspectives, regardless of outcome.

702rugbyref Platinum

Thank you....at least now we know the Marriott group will hear the venting presented.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great reply joshm and misterchk, both are what I expect from this site.

Oh and before I forget, misterchk what did you do this summer? 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

One of IAHFLYR's greatest attributes....knowing just when to get that zinger in there lol or knowing just long enough to "stir the pot"

Hey now my Jersey friend, I have other great attributes just not sure what they might be. Yes I do love to stir the pot often.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

You absolutely do I just had to commend you on that one in particular.

702rugbyref Platinum

I laugh so hard at this...since when is the word C R A P sensored as profanity?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I am amused by how this website censors certain things.  Some of the words in my posts come out as asterisks even when they are not profanity.  If I put a post up about a certain property that once had a Legionnaires outbreak that killed 3 people, would they censor it?  Hmmm....  I stayed at said hotel a few years ago for a dirt cheap rate, and I remarked to a local about the great deal I got at a 5-star luxury hotel, and he politely informed me that the low rate was due to the recent Legionnaires incident!  I guess if you Google "Marriott Legionnaires" you will see what I am talking about

KatieC Member

Hi clebert and 702rugbyref  - Please let us know if you have trouble posting something or seeing all of the words/content in your posts. As joshm mentioned above, the only time we get involved with content is when it violates the guidelines that stipulate positive and constructive engagement in this forum, or if  personally identifiable information is posted.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have had little problem except I tried to start a Blog two weeks ago and it never showed up. If it did, I have no idea where it is.

KatieC Member

Ok, I've got it now. Apologies for the delay, I haven't actually seen this in any posts. The asterisks are part of the profanity filter we've had on this year. We can edit the words in the filter so if you see something that doesn't seem right let us know and we'll look into adjusting it.

Thank for the info KatieC.  It might be fun to post some of the filter parameters!

702rugbyref Platinum

I am with you. I typed in cr a p and it came out asterisks. I laughed out loud.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Prior to facing the "firing squad" I will now apologize  for opening "Pandora's box".

702rugbyref Platinum

I hope Pandora has a sense of humor!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...