34 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2017 6:33 PM by j&c RSS

The Lexington, New York City

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I spent a night at The Lexington, Autograph Collection. Great room, great service. My stay and points for my room posted to my account..BUT, the restaurant charges were not given MR points credit. If I'm reading correctly, dollars spent in the restaurant should receive credit, right?  Any other MR Insiders have an issue here?

carat, can you give a clarification as to points earned at Autograph Collections?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: The Lexington, New York City
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My last Autograph stay was at The Henry in Dearborn, MI where I received points for my restaurant purchase.

I read the rules the same way. You should get credit for restaurant charges. Why you didn't is an issue worth following up.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hold tight, I will definitely take a look into this painedplatinum. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, I've been wanting to check out that property for a little while now.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi painedplatinum, carat and team looked into this, and confirmed that if the restaurant charges were billed to the room and the restaurant was Marriott owned, then you are able to earn points for dollars spent.  If you need any further assistance with this, feel free to reach out to customer care, or send us your contact info and Rewards number via private message and we can patch you through to a member of the team.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

When we stayed at the Marriott NY East Side last year, they didn't post points for our dining spend either.  A call to c/s took care of it.

What show did you guys decide to see?

curiousone Platinum

This post caused me to check my account from my stay at the Brown Palace (Autograph) this last weekend. We stayed on points and spent $88+ in the restaurant. I was credited 2930 based points + 1465 elite points and 500 extra points instead of a $10 account credit. Not sure how $88 turned into 2930 points, but I am happy to take them!

curiousone Platinum

This post caused me to check my account after our stay at the Brown Palace (Autograph) this last weekend. We paid for the room with points and spent $88+ in the restaurant. I was credited 2930 base points with 1465 elite points and the 500 points I took on check in. I am not sure how $88 turned into 2930 points, but I am happy to take them!

curiousone Platinum

This post caused me to check my account after our stay at the Brown Palace (Autograph) this last weekend. We paid for the room with points and spent $88+ in the restaurant. I was credited 2930 base points with 1465 elite points and the 500 points I took on check in. I am not sure how $88 turned into 2930 points, but I am happy to take them!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I booked two rooms at The Lexington for a weekend in July.  Wanted to stay at the Algonquin again, since we really enjoyed our last visit - and their neighbors (Daniel Boulud's db Bistro and Kellari Taverna) but we needed one of the rooms to have two beds and there are no rooms with two beds in the entire hotel.  So, we are booked at The Lexington.  I like the old NYC classic hotels.  Hopefully, we will be equally thrilled with this one.

psudad,

I've now spent eleven nights over three stays at the Lexington. Each time I received a great room with two bathrooms. I only need one, but it's the thought that counts.  The rooms were spacious and modern in detail.

I also have spent five nights at the Carlton Hotel (Autograph). Great people, very tired room. Size wise it was fine, but it is in dire need of updating.

Good luck at the Lex!

Thanks!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

OK, painedplatinum, I'm counting on you....

I just booked a couple of nights (in March) at the Lex - my first time.  HALF the price of the East Side (which is a family favorite); closer than the 57 (another family favorite); cheaper than the Time Square Rez, etc...

Optimistic....

Go get it, ssindc !!  You need to score that larger room with two bathrooms!

Well, painedplatinum, I can't say I had the kind of experience you had..... (Probably because IAHFLYR jinxed me.)

Anyway, a host of reactions - here's the good news:

• perfect location (for my short, 2 night stay, pure business, no play trip);
            • great rate - OK, a stunningly good rate;
            • comfortable bed ....
            • fully satisfactory business center - and I needed to do a few things there, so that was great....
            • c'mon - it's NYC - the big apple - and, well, even a phone camera makes it look special - and, no, this was not shot from the hotel, it was taken from an office building a five-minute walk away:

20170308_203007.jpg

Less positive:

• I was put in what I'd refer to as a "cozy" room - a classic, small, NYC room - comfortable enough, but small  - no view, loud hallway;
            • some kind of shocking quality nits - the ceramic in my sink was cracked (and it wasn't new), and I was given a bath towel with holes it - not a hole, but holes ... Seriously?  (I guess that's why the room rate was so good.)
              20170307_204229.jpg
              oh, and did I mention the lime that was on the hallway floor for ... too long?  at least the ice that was spilled (by someone) along with the drink melted and disappeared....
            • first world/spoiled brat pet peeve - so, I checked in with the mobile app - I'm greeted warmly as a platinum - the guy tells me I've got a great suite on the 22nd floor - then ... after a delay ... he puts me in an unimpressive (small) room on the 12th floor....
            • "Concierge lounge" was dark and loud - and not my kind of scene;
            • Breakfast scene was a nightmare - crowded, limited flow (everyone bumping into/walking around each other), awkward and limited seating, and ... less than exceptional coffee... Still it was free, so, hey, no one made me eat it or linger there... And sometimes you get what you pay for....

Kind of art deco and funky - if you're into that kind of stuff - check out one of the elevators - doors and interiors (the photo is posting sideways - who knows why)....

20170306_191344.jpg

20170306_190205.jpg

• mediocre (but stylish) desk chair - sorry, geezer/cranky guy - but I prefer FUNCTION over FORM for a desk chair - I've got work to do (and I'm stressed enough as it is)....

Anyway - again, a bargain and a good location and a comfy bed...  But I won't go out of my way to return anytime soon....

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'm the jinxer alright, so sorry but you're welcome!

It amazes me how stays at the same hotel differ from person to person, why can't these places get it right ALL the time??

monisame Platinum

Thanks foryour post. I have made some reservations for june and after reading this I will change to the East Side. It sounds to be the best option.

seatexan Platinum

I liked the East Side!

Well, monisame, I'm a big fan of the East Side (and it's one of my elder son's favorites too).  But keep in mind:

• I got an INCREDIBLE rate for this stay - and sometimes you get what you pay for; and
                • others have had better luck here....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

It fascinates me how people can have utterly different experiences at the same property, especially here where we have two very seasoned, smart travelers both whose opinions and analyses I have come to implicitly trust.  On Trip Advisor, I tend to take negative reviews with a grain of salt, especially if the negative reviews are among a small minority, but this is different and causes me to wonder... Had you received the nice suite on a high floor with a view, which was expressed to you (and one thing to not get upgraded to a suite, but to be told you were and then not upgraded??? What is that?  A very weak customer relation transaction to say the least), I wonder if all of the foibles during your stay would've been so noticeable, and yet they seem to have occurred in a number that could be understandably difficult to ignore.

I'm just thinking out loud here...

When we stayed at the Marriott Eastside, I had no expectation of an upgrade, yet when we walked into the claustrophobic inducing tiny room that we were given, we were disappointed enough to ask for something better.  It took some work, first answer was no, then a charming employee worked his magic with the rooms controller, and the difference in the room assignments (we received a spacious, bright corner room, higher floor with three windows and - albeit a tiny bathroom for which the door wouldn't open all the way, because the toilet blocked it, and charming ), created a very positive tone for the entire trip.  It was much easier to overlook a few faux pas (similar to yours, and for the record, I empathize with the mediocre work chair for sure).

When we stayed at the Il Ciocco Renaissance last year, had we not received the suite and the second room both with balconies overlooking stunning views of the valley (there were rooms on the opposite side of the building, across the hall from the conference rooms, that faced the ugly building that the indoor swimming pool was in and I mean, not only no view, but an ugly view of a building and dirt), I feel quite sure that, charming as the Medieval town of Barga is, I would be wishing I had never stayed there.

At the Waikiki Marriott last month, I booked an ocean view room, billed as "breathtaking ocean view" in the room description on the hotel website.  Cost of room per night with resort fee, taxes and parking was $465.  I swallowed it, because the "breathtaking" ocean view was non-negotiable, in terms of leaving it to the (slim) chance of getting an upgrade.  What we got was a room in the inside most crook of the elbow of the ocean front tower (tower is in the shape of capital letter "L"), 3 floors above the small pool with poolside peeps staring up at us, and directly straight ahead (as in, directly in our face), was the balcony of the other room on the inside most position of the other axis of the "L" AND the palm trees blocked our dismal view of the ocean!  Needless to say, I was very disappointed, even incredulous. We drug our luggage (a considerable ways) back to the front desk, where I informed them that the room was unacceptable and an improvement was necessary.  They came back with an ocean front suite at the top of the "L" on the second most highest floor, but we had to pay for the upgrade, and while the cost of the suite upgrade (with 4 balconies, ya, huge, we could've almost had TIPPLE2 there) was still a fraction of what it would've cost outright, I felt duped and taken advantage of, and as a result, wonder if I noticed things that I might've otherwise overlooked (why is it that all Hawaii resort properties appear so dated?) and no, I'll never stay there again.  Yes, I could've negotiated harder with them, held my ground on the breathtaking ocean view thing, but it really pissed (yep, unladylike, but there, I said it) me off that they would do that to me and put me in the position of having to be - THAT "DEMANDING" GUEST on what should've been a pleasant start to a tropical vacation.  So instead, I chose to give them more money, thereby avoiding an unpleasant conflict, enjoyed my suite and will never be back. That's how I chose to roll. To be honest, even had they given me the "breathtaking" ocean view as advertised, or even the suite upgrade free of charge, I doubt I'll ever stay in Waikiki again, but that's a different matter, it's just not my cup of tea.  But I'm sure (I know) other people love it as well as the Marriott there.  Good for them.

seatexan Platinum

I really really enjoyed this read.  Esp the last paragraph. <3

All good points, pluto77....  particularly about first impressions...

Sorry to hear the lows of your stay ssindc.... I've been a bit more lucky, for sure.

Well, painedplatinum,  as they say:
                sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

erc Platinum

Because of its strategic value in my overall travel plans, I'm a big Lexington fan. I go to NYC about 4 or 5 times a year (for plays, games, museums, cronuts, etc all goofing off kind of stuff, cuz that's what I do ). Based on the need for the stay (anniversary, view, theater, rare business meeting) I choose my property. I've had pained type stays and ssindc's cozys at the Lex. It's, as pluto so effectively writes above, about expectations. Many properties can be a huge swing based on room assignment, Newport Beach MVC and JW Muskoka come to mind (where I've been very fortunate).

Landing at double figured price Lexington (I'm in at $97 and $110 this spring), often less than my theatre ticket, is hard to beat for the overnight (as much as I love the East Side M Lounge, the Lex eventually beats the price by $30 or more and I can buy my own sodas, snacks, and waters with the savings) and yes I've stayed all around town including the Essex, but a view of the park for $150 or more extra, just ain't my cup of tea (unless it is my cup of tea).

Back in the day when platinum actually meant something, was difficult to earn, and provided a bit of recognition and some schmoozing leverage, playing room assignment roulette was fun and productive. Now with plat and gold status handed out for relatively low level $$ spend, being traded with other travel vendors, and just the sheer raw numbers, relying on an upgrade to make the stay has become a crapshoot.

Like many others, convinced that there will be multi-tiered platinums (or whatever rare mineral is chosen) and no longer having the travel leverage needed, I will be investing hard earned savings from years of Marriott Matrix diving, Fairfields, ResInns, and SpringHills and will purchase my 'must have' rooms, probably from the new to me and exciting Starwood collection.

I will also lean heavily on Insiders to guide me toward the activities and specifics of geography that interests me, so as to avoid pluto's travel style disappointment above, a result of mismatching preferences/expectations. YMMV and 'to each their own' certainly holds true when it comes to travel and of course, there's really no right or wrong; I've turned down several trips to Tuscany and other Italian places that folks here love, because like Lisa Douglas, "dahling I love you, but give me Park Avenue".

Insiders, when it comes to traveling and "playing against the man", we must, indeed, all hang together or we'll hang alone, and few things hurt more in the game of travel than losing to the man . As always, Keep on keepin' on.

j&c Platinum

Lexington's "strategic value" - well said erc . J & I believe that NYC is a huge urban national treasure to explore, logging upwards of 20,000 steps each day we visit, even with our 7-day Metro passes in hand. So for us, safe/easy/comfortable location (and price) trump space/view/CL. And because the Lex's perfect location is such a fantastic complement to their exceptional rates, even with 2 slightly "better" deals reserved for the end of this month (for downtown and westside, in an effort to "change-it-up"), we're having trouble choosing to stay anywhere else but the Lex. C

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Way to call him out ssindc......painedplatinum help them get that larger room!

Called The Lexington yesterday, to ask if they had a concierge lounge and if they would be serving breakfast there or provide it in the restaurant for Gold (and Platinum) Elites.  Was disappointed to be informed they indeed have a lounge but it is closed on the weekends and they do not provide breakfast to Gold/Platinums.  Instead, they offer points.

j&c Platinum

I can confirm The Lexington Concierge Lounge serves breakfast on weekdays from our mid-week stay in March. We love staying here! Great location, wonderfully helpful staff! Do ask for what perks they can offer you!

Wonderful breakfast places next door to the Lexington (connected to hotel) and right across the street. Starbucks in the lobby. A quick walk away is our favorite spot for "eggs on a Kaiser," the 47 Gourmet Deli/Market on 47th btwn 6th and 7th (next door to Night Hotel). A small market with 2 tables for 4 and short order cook in back who can create whatever you want! C

Location Brand Hotel
      New York City, New York, USA

Thanks, J&C.  Also looked and found several Pret a Manger within a block or two, a diner three blocks away and a Pain Quotidien about two blocks away.  So, between these and yours, we should be good.  We keep breakfast light, anyway, to make room for lunch and dinner!

j&c Platinum

psudad, Do check in with the Concierge! We were headed to West Village for Rice to Riches rice pudding but felt we "needed" dinner first. Our favorite lunch place - Parisi Bakery - closes by 4, or when they run out of lunch, so we hoped for a great suggestion. Fish on 280 Bleeker @ Jones for 2 different bowls of excellent chowder was the perfect before! 

Carve out a moment or two to grab a coffee or cocktail and enjoy people watching from the comfort of the lobby C

Thanks, J&C.  Good advice.

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Since the merger I have been trying out Westin hotels mostly when we travel for fun rather than business travel. This weekend we are at the Westin NY at Time Square. While we could have stayed easily at a Marriott property, I was interested in how the other half, SPG Platinum, lived. I must say, I couldn't be happier with the 2 step upgrade to a room with a great view. Great breakfast buffet for 2 at no charge as our platinum choice. Really a great stay so far. I understand about the old historical hotels and agree, but I must say this is more than ok for us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...