10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2015 10:51 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Stays Vs Nights - Lying Promotions

adaverio Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Some months ago I booked 7 nights at the JW Marriot Essex House in NY in order to get the Gold Status, because of a short-period promotion. During my stay, I was treated like a Gold member and my Marriott account showed me this status. But now, Marriott downgraded me to Silver, because they say that 7 nights is not the same as 7 stays (?). Should I ,next time, do the check-in / check-out process 7 times in order to be counted as "Stays". It`s ridiculous and seems a liyng promo from Marriott.

Next time I will read the "small letters" more carefully....

I did a claim through rewards`s email and twitter and they don´t do anything.

Very disappointed...

Regards, Agustin

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Stays Vs Nights - Lying Promotions
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I would call MR and complain until you get someone who bumps you up to gold.  I had a similar problem getting from gold to platinum.  They told me that my stays actually did count, but there was some type of computer glitch that was showing gold when I should have been platinum.  MR fixed it so that I got platinum status after I politely and persistently complained.  It's worth a try!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The stays versus nights issue has caught others. Even if you had checked out and checked back in each day, that would have still been one stay. The way Marriott defines a stay is "consecutive nights at the same property regardless of check-in/check-out activity."

Based on the wording of the promotion, I'm not sure you will be able to get your Gold status reinstated. It's certainly worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Marriott may claim that the terms were included and you just didn't read them carefully. Right or wrong, they may have a case.

What I would do is try calling customer service and explain that you did not understand the promotion as it was stated. Ask if you can get signed up again and complete 6 separate stays during the period. Again, they may not allow this as normally only one such status challenge/promotion is available per calendar year.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect you will have little success in getting Marriott to reverse course on this one.

Please keep us informed of what happens.

702rugbyref Platinum

You can try calling the customer service but like most people, it is an inconvenience to check in and out of nearby properties in order to get a status.IN the end, stays as pointed out above, accrue differently than nights. BUMMER!

Jsucool76 Gold

I signed up for one of these challenges when I first started my marriott rewards account, but I gave up on it because I don't get enough in the 3 month period for the challenge (or even the 4 month period that my challenge was). I don't like to hotel hop so I was all nights, no stays.

In my opinion the best way to get gold status if you can't complete a challenge is the ritz carlton credit card. Pay $395, get gold status for a year, spend 10k and get gold status for next year. =]

702rugbyref Platinum

I rarely would stay in RC...too $$ for my blood.

Jsucool76 Gold

Eh, there's a lot of benefits besides the RC club upgrades and $100 credit. There's the $300 airline incidental credit per calendar year, and the marriott gold status. Same earning rates as the marriott credit card, but you get a 10% bonus on all points earned through card spend.

To me, the gold status alone is worth the $395 annual fee, but the 300 airline incidental credit effectively lowers that fee to $95. and I'd definitely buy gold status for $95 if I could. You're a plat though, so it's meh.

702rugbyref Platinum

Zgood points though. I would so easily take advantage of this and as you so eloquently proposed, it is a great value just for the Gold status and credit. Maybe it is a prettier cad too?! The Marriott cards are like throwing stars!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

bejacob is spot on with regards to the terms, good advice and your chances (likely slim) of being given grace in this matter.  A good learning lesson about understanding terms (and while I feel your pain, I don't think Marriott is being deceptive with this promotion.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

WE sometimes miss the fact that Marriott like all companies is trying to get loyalty but most important is profit. I never get upset when they clearly present their criteria and if u follow it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...