2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2009 12:47 PM by anadyr RSS

TMI at the Front Desk

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I was inquiring about a room change at a full service Marrott with a gentleman whose name tag indicated he was the front desk supervisor.

The gist was:

Me: "I was hoping to make a room change for tonight since the room I am in now is facing the open atrium and there is quite a bit of noise coming from the folks there below."

Associate"  "I see that you're a Platinum Premier member and that you have plenty of points, a couple million, in your account.  You know this rate that you've booked will not count toward your yearly total or nights?"

Me:  "OK.  What about the room change?"

Associate: "I will check."

So, what was the need, I asked myself, to have an associate remind me of my elite status and then assume that I wanted or needed the points and the stay credited to my account?  In fact, I wondered, is this necessary for broadcast to anyone in line behind me? I had not asked for a status update but got one anyway.

Actually the rate was creditable and credited to my account, in spite of his comments to the contrary

I did get a room change to an excellent suite and found the hotel to be excellent in all other aspects. But, the TMI (too much information) rule applies--the guest is not supposed to be reminded of his or her status or the need to acquire points or not.  Perhaps a training session could empathise this?

Customer service includes the development of good listening skills:  understanding what the customer wants supercedes most other requirements in a competitive environment.

Has anyone else been given TMI at a hotel--just wondering.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TMI at the Front Desk
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

SS -- I completely agree with your take on this type of situation. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TMI at the Front Desk
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks NU:  I am not singling out one associate just one problem that could be fixed easily in a training session

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...