23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2015 5:29 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Which Marriott for Labor Day weekend in Newport California?

bvanskiver Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have two young children (3 and 6) - looking at either Newport Beach Marriott Bayview or the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa and leaning towards the Hotel & Spa. Any recommendations from people who have stayed at one or both? Ideally looking for a fun family-friendly atmosphere for the weekend but also plan to spend quite a bit of time at the beach.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Newport Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Newport Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Long Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Long Beach Marriott
Aliso Viejo, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Hotel
Newport Beach, CA, USA
Aliso Viejo, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Hotel
  • Re: Which Marriott for Labor Day weekend in Newport California?
    KatieC Member

Looking forward to seeing what the community has to say here. I have not been to Newport, CA but it sounds like a great spot.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I think pluto77 may just be able to answer this question better than anyone besides californian!  Go Pluto.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have not stayed at either but have had friends do so.  Both are nice.  It is a matter of what you want to do..The Marriott Hotel and Spa is located in the Fashion Island area where one would find high end shopping and many restaurants.  The Bayview is more relaxed and the views are nice.  No restaurants beside the hotels are close.  It is an all suite hotel which gives privacy when traveling with kids.  From what you said, I think this would be best for you.  Either way, you would have to drive to the beach.

bvanskiver Platinum

Thanks for the info californian Any other properties in the area that you or anyone would recommend?

If you don't mind spending some money, the Ritz Carlton, Laguna Niguel, is on the beach.  They have a golf cart that takes people down the hill and when done back up.  They even give bottled water to those guest taking the ride.  Food is good and just a nice property.

702rugbyref Platinum

Not far away is the Long Beach FS Marriott and HIGHLY recommend it. Also, just a little south is the Club Renaissance -I also highly recommend this one as well.

702rugbyref Platinum

Club Renaissance - Aliso Veijo. has full gym attached, large atrium, outdoor lap pools, etc. Check it out. I have stayed there a few times and enjoy it. They often have specials for AAA as an example, that will also include free parking and breakfast (full service or buffet).

Location Brand Hotel
    Long Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Long Beach Marriott
    Newport Beach, CA, USA
      bvanskiver Platinum

Thanks 702rugbyref we looked at Club Renaissance - Aliso Veijo, it looks nice but staying closer to Newport seemed to fit more in to our plans. I noticed the Long Beach Marriott but it didn't stand out, why so highly recommended?

702rugbyref Platinum

Proximity and ease to airport and beach, 5 -7 from the beach, good atmosphere, nice rooms, breakfast is prepared or buffet and is great. Where are you coming in from and to what airport?

bvanskiver Platinum

Usually I use Long Beach airport but this time we're booked through SNA, Long Beach still isn't far from there anyway. I'll check that one out more, thanks!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I almost forgot about Dana Point, CA, Hotel | Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa which is a mere 15 miles south on PCH.  The resort if wonderful with beautiful views and close to a few restaurants that you can walk to from the property. 

Yes.  Nice hotel.  Good food and can walk to harbor where you will find gift shops, restaurant and boat rides.  Dolphin Safari is a good one.  They take you out for a couple of hours and most likely you will see dolphins, a lot of them, maybe 500 in a pod.  Leaves from Dana Point Harbor.  The marine institute is nice for kids.  They have touch creatures. 

702rugbyref Platinum

Yes both are nice but up there in price for sure. If one was to go onto Catalina Island for the day, good jumping off point as well.

Location Brand Hotel
      bvanskiver Platinum

The Dana Point hotel does look pretty ideal - I'm looking at using points and there are no points redemption rooms available there for the weekend I'm going to be there otherwise I'd probably do that one!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

A little late to the party.  As californian mentions, both properties (Newport Marriott and Newport Bayview Marriott) are not within walking distance to the beach.  Of the two, I favor Bayview, because of 1) the suites, which are very nice and 2) the nice view of Back Bay, although if you don't get upgraded, you may end up with a city view.

Also nice about the Bayview property, is it is right across the street from the Back Bay trails which are great for cycling, walking or jogging.  At Bayview, if you want to save on parking fees, you can park for free on the street just below the property (many guests do this, including myself), a very short walk.  There is no CL at Bayview, but we were offered a fantastic buffet breakfast with an omelette chef.

Newport Marriott CL is closed on weekends, continental breakfast in restaurant in lieu of.

A third option for you might be Marriott Vacation Club at Newport Coast.  There are lots of wonderful activities for children, and the main pools are terrific for families.  It's really a beautiful property.  Parking is free.  I wouldn't hold my breath for an ocean view upgrade however over the Labor Day weekend.  You can walk to the beach (Crystal Cove) from the property, but maybe not with a 3 year old.  They have complimentary shuttle service that takes guests to/from Crystal Cove and Fashion Island every half hour.  There is no dining on site.

Beaches

Crystal Cove

Big Corona

Little Corona

The Wedge

Newport Beach proper

Laguna Beach is nice too (Heisler Park 375 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, CA 92651)

Balboa Island and the Balboa Fun Zone is a great place to take the kids.  600 E Bay Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92661

DSC_0540.jpg

Balboa Fun Zone

Heisler Park.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

Heisler Park

IMAG0636.jpg

Main Pool at Marriott Vacation Club Newport Coast

IMAG0645.jpg

Fun Activities for the Kids

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

A colleague of mine owns at the Newport MVCI and says it is just wonderful.  Your pics sure look good.  Will have to give it a try.  I had it on my "no stay" list because it's not right on the beach, but if the walk isn't too bad and/or there are convenient shuttles, I will reconsider.

702rugbyref Platinum

and..any decision?

bvanskiver Platinum

Thanks for all the feedback - since we're planning to be at the beach and beach activities most of the weekend we decided to stick with the Newport Beach Hotel & Spa. The Vacation Club Newport Coast would be better I think but since we're planning to use points it wasn't an option this trip (they aren't allowing points for the days we'll be there) - I'll keep an eye on it, maybe points redemption will open up.

702rugbyref Platinum

Enjoy your vacation. I am in Newport next weekend and staying a few miles away from the beach as parking and hotel is very expensive nearby. They have the perfect picture postcard rugby pitch in the USA for sure...adjacent to the pier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...