8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2015 4:33 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Rome  Any Suggestions

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are considering two weeks in Italy, this November.  A week in Rome is a must and any other destinations must be reachable by train.  (I'd rather not drive in Italy.)

We are looking for suggestions for a hotel with a CL in Rome and any suggestions one might have about another destination or two.

We are interested nice restaurants, Roman ruins, walkable cities, a little bit of art museums (only one or two per week) archeology, and convenient public transportation.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Rome, Italy
Italy
  • Re: Rome  Any Suggestions
    tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

Two possible suggestions (I have only been in Italy twice, so I am not an expert).  One is Florence.  You can take a train there easily from Rome, we did it about 17 years ago.  From there you are in easy day trip area to lots of other interesting places.  I am thinking of places like San Gmignano, Pisa, Siena.  You could perhaps take a train to some of these places, or arrange something through the Florence hotel.  We rented a car once we got to Florence, so I don't know for sure which are accessible by train. 

The other idea would be to go to Sorrento (we did this for a few days pre-cruise this spring).  Sorrento itself is beautiful, walkable in the main part of town, has great restaurants, etc.  From there you could take a train to Pompeii and, I am pretty sure, to Ercolano (Herculaneum).  Again, we rented a car, so I don't know any details on public transit to these ruins.  You can also hire a driver to take the Amalfi Coast drive, spend some time in Positano, Ravello, etc.

Be aware that there are no Marriott hotels in Sorrento (the closest one is Naples) and only one Marriott hotel in Florence.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

phctourist,

If you would like to really experience Rome, hire a private guide.  You will see more in an afternoon than most people will see in a week.  It's not cheap, but well worth it.

My recommendation is:

Patrick Lucey

patrickjlucy@yahoo.com

An Irishman, who is a wonderful guide of Rome!

IMG_3570.jpg

Patrick taking us into the Sistine Chapel!

Great Day, when you can see the "Floor"!

sg1974 Gold

There are plenty of options for your second week outside of Rome.

I would agree with previous post and either choose to go around the Florence area or Naples.

Check what the weather would be like in those areas in November.

A few years ago we caught the train between Florence, Pisa and Siena.

You can of course visit smaller places in the area like Montepulciano and San Gimignano to name a few. We visited those on another trip with a car which was much easier to do.

Lucca is another nice spot.

It is a beautiful area and would certainly provide an enjoyable trip.

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/site/en/

Tuscany Map:Map of Tuscany,Italy

The other region is around Naples. We were in this area in May and really enjoyed it. Naples is certainly worth visiting. It is rough around the edges, particularly the train station. But walking around the city is a good experience. Also the pizza is very good.

We also saw Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii and Paestum.

This would also provide a great week like Tuscany so whichever way you go will be a good choice.

http://www.inaples.it/eng/home.asp

Amalfi's coast | Amalfi coast tourist information & hotels guide | Amalfi, Positano, Ravello | Travel guide :.

We had a car on this trip so it did make it easy to travel between the places. But they are fairly well connected by public transport.

We visited Tivoli previously when we stayed in Rome.

I would happily revisit either area, so enjoy the trip.

702rugbyref Platinum

My favorite city! DEFINITELY get the Red Bus pass (double decker open top)...buy it BEFORE you go as it is cheaper. Bring a copy and they will take it from you once you jump on the bus for the first time. It has several stops near many of the major attractions such as Collessium, Vatican, etc. You can get on and off as much as you want. I would suggest doing at least one complete loop the first trip just to get familiar where everything is and then decide where to get off. They also come by set stops regularly.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

A few additions to my request:

Any comments about Marriott hotels in Florence, Rome, and Venice would be appreciated.

Also, does anybody have any thoughts about what there is to do in Florence, in addition to art museums?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

There is an affiliate Marriott Hotel in Florence (AC brand), but it is not in the heart of the city. The Hotel Della Signoria is in walking distance of train station and nearer to main attractions. You can take bus, or taxi to the city center from Marriott hotel. The main tourist attractions in Florence are:

1.* Accademia, near the Piazza San Marco,  2.  Duomo (a tour of top of Duomo is well worth the time & expense)  3. Galleria D. Uffizi 4. Ponte Vecchio (bridge over River Arno) 5. Boboli Gardens (over the river from city, but walking distance, and well worth day visit), all near the Piazza Signora (good shopping in this area)

* I wouldn't recommend more than a day in Florence, but you might find it more exciting.

There are several Marriott Hotels in Venice - Boscolo at de la Madonna de Porto (470 Euros/night), 10 minute walk from train station;  and JW Marriott (off the island, and quite expensive) - the Courtyard at Marco Polo Airport is less expensive (160 Euros/night), and other non-Marriott hotels in Venice - Principe, Gardena, Hotel  Carlton ,Hotel ai due Fanali - all near the train station and bus park, but all over 250- 300 Euros/night at this time of the year. * You might want to either stay at airport and take bus into Venice, or book hote, such as Holiday Inn, l in nearby Mestre (first train stop from Venice), and take train in/out of town. If you fly into Marco Polo you can take bus to Merstre. All the hotels on San Marco (most popular place in Venice), such as Savoia & Jolanda, Hotel Colombina, Danieli, Amigo Trovatore, Best Western, Hilton, etc. are extremely expensive, but in heart of the most exciting place on the island.

You can take a Vaporetto (city boat taxi) from train station to most of the hotel sites near San Marco, and you can get water taxi (public transportation - not private ) from Airport to Marriott Boscolo, exiting boat at Madonna dell 'Orto, and walk about five minutes to the hotel.

If you have further questions, let me know.

In Rome, my favorite hotel is the Marriott Grand Flora, but there is also a Courtyard nearer the Vatican, and also Boscolo, along with Courtyard at the Rome Airport.

702rugbyref Platinum

There is a Marriott just west of the Vatican (I think) maybe 10-15 minutes.

702rugbyref Platinum

I stayed near the US Embassy on points from another chain last summer. It is also a great area and near many fountains and easy walk to the Parthenon and Trivoli, etc. Like I said, get on teh bus and do the loop first so you can understand the layout.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...