38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2015 12:20 PM by ks77 RSS

Best hotel for points redemption in New York City

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

wits another trip to New York on the cards at the end of sept and the rates sky high roughly $500 a night which I never ever pay that price in Nyc hardly even pay half that I'm going to redeem 180000 points and take a freebie . I've stayed at 10 New York Marriott brand s and loved them all but wonder what people on here think is the best deal on points for platinum member my thoughts we're the  Marquis. I've stayed there 2 times and loved it any other insiders out there think of a better choice ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best hotel for points redemption in New York City
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We've stayed at the Hotels Near Grand Central Station | Marriott East Side New York Hotel and New York Times Square Hotels | Renaissance NYC Boutique Hotel loved both of them.  The Marquis is also a nice joint however; being right in the midst of Times Square we no longer stay there or at the Renaissance as we opt for the quieter surroundings of the East Side venue and make the walk into the craziness when we want a bit of that excitement.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

We loved the JW Essex House. Great old world hotel with fabulous service, used points for our 5 night stay and loved the close proximity to Central Park. It is within walking distance to Times Square and the majority of attractions. Concierge Lounge was open on the weekend when we were there last year. Great lounge,lots of variety for both morning breakfast and evening snacks and desserts.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I travel to NYC a lot and love the Renaissance Time Square hotel. If the points are the same or less than the Marquis, that would be my first choice.

I do agree with Guidedog613 the JW Essex House is also a great choice if the points are similar. I think the rooms are a little tired and old but the Lounge is one of the best I ever been to although if you are going over the weekend, I am not sure if it is open or not. During the week the lounge offers some amazing food at night. You could defiantly make a complete meal of it. The breakfast is great too.

To answer your question about the Renaissance Times Square, they do not have a separate lounge area but they turn one of the restaurants into a breakfast area for Elite members only in the morning and you won't find a better view of Times Square from this make shift area. The breakfast is nothing to write home about, just some basics. They will also give you a coupon for the bar/restaurant for each night of your stay and you can select various food choices from the bar menu which are outstanding. I like being able to use the coupons whenever I want. They will also allow you to use more then one on a particular night so if you don't use one the previous night for example, you can double up another night and you can even go outside of the choices if you ask and order dessert for example if you come back late and just want a dessert. I like the hotel and the location and it is less chaos then the Marquis.

jw is coming in at 280000 points  so its  between marquis or renaissance times sq or 57th renaissance

My brother just booked at the Essex House for 180,000 points for 5 nights....maybe you were looking at the Ritz which is 280,000 points

maybe was  but there is no availability on it now for rewards

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm also a huge fan of the Essex House.  Don't care for Marriott Marquis although rooms are large.  Maybe it's good for families or tourists who want to be right in the middle of Times Square which is a place I try to avoid.  As a business traveler, I prefer something quieter.  Essex House has a lot of character and a great location.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Two of  my favorites:

Essex House and Marriott East Side - Unfortunately one has to overlook the categories in NY and go for the best.  These two are my personal favorites.

This opinion is current as I have stayed in both properties five times (Esat Side 3 and Essex 2) this year.

I have posted numerous comments about the "circus" known as the Marquis (Time Square) - physically an amazing property.  BUT, should be avoided if one is looking for a quiet, relaxing atmosphere and want to avoid the most crowded and poorly stocked CL I have experienced.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

East Side Marriott all the way!! This is my property of choice when I'm in NYC. It is also a few short blocks away from Grand Central Terminal.

I will say that the Marriott Marquis in Times Square is one of my all-time favorite hotels, across any chain, and I used to stay there quite frequently.  However, Times Square has gotten very busy over the recent years, making it less desirable.  Still try to make it a point to head up to The View for a cocktail

J W Essex house came back available at 180000 so it's now booked up thanks roll on sept

Came across this problem when booking it says 180000 when I do the search then comes up 355000 any ideas  why ? image.jpgimage.jpg

It says from 180,000 points which when you go into actually booking it has none of the basic rooms available only upgraded rooms thus the bigger point grab.  There might be some event going on in New York like the NY Film Festival or Fashion week etc

Jsucool76 Gold

That's a common thing with the essex house. A room with 2 double beds is considered an upgrade to them. I'm not sure if they have any "standard" rooms. They usually have rooms for standard points + cash though, which i assume is how they get away with the "From 180,000 points."

Marriott needs to adjust the reservation system so that it correctly reflects the price based on availability. Even when booking with cash, i'll sometimes see "rates from $xx.xx" and no matter what I do, that rate never shows up.

thanks yes think the system needs to show the available rate

SO the trip is next week and I have been checking rates on a daily basis and have managed to bag 5 nights in the edition for 160000 points in comparison to the cash stay rate of $4291 I would call this a great deal can I expect any extras at the edition as a platinum member or am I just being greedy now  

Breakfast for plat members ?

Just checked again today and the kW Essex house is on at 180000 again this time I have booked it so now it's time to choose which one to cancel before next week

doddsy69, if you want an elegant, classic Central Park experience in NY, you can't go wrong with the Essex House.  CL there is excellent, too - wonderful attendants and great offerings for breakfast and evening/dessert, and snacks, newspapers, etc.

annew20 Gold

I haven't stayed at the Edition or Essex in New York, but I have stayed at the Marquis on Times Square.  The category has increased since I went to NY so it takes more points to redeem.  There has been some good advice here.  You can also check Trip Advisor on the two hotels.  I find it helpful when people say "the walls are paper thin" or "customer service was great".  It is useful information either way & may help you determine what you value vs. # of points.  Have a nice trip!

arlingtonman Platinum

Stay at the Essex House if you want to be recognized for your loyalty to the Marriott brand.  Stay at the EDITION if you want to stay in the cooler, hipper, newer hotel and don't mind being treated like an "ordinary" guest. 

Personally, though, I would go with the Essex House.

JW it is thanks guys will let you know how it goes

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have stayed at Essex House, its a superb hotel. I also really like the Algonquin, its in the heart of Times Square. I have not stayed at the edition, so I cannot comment on it. The Essex House is what everyone else has said, so I will not repeat. NYC is like London or Paris. Its expensive (don't get me started, I live 30 miles away from Midtown) and commute to NYC 5x per week, so I know to cost of living only too well), but the culture, vibe, nightlife, and energy of the City is really special (I did grow up in NYC and have lived in many places, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Juan, PR, etc). Go and enjoy NYC. The Essex House is great and I really think you will find it a top tier hotel. If you need any tips about NYC, just let me know.

just home from new york and have to say i hated the essex house  5  star my *** the hotel rooms are  dirty and in need of a remake and a good clean the front door and desk  staff are rude and unwelcoming  the lounge staff were like the gestapo on a daily basis even though they knew were had a lounge card they still insited on name and room number the doors locked we have a card why the fuss ?the only positives i have are  the comfy bed and location

Jsucool76 Gold

Oh wow. sorry to hear that. nothing like my experience in March. for the most part, in the lounge the staff were great. they would bring us food and drinks. we were never asked for our name or room number or anything. front desk staff was okay. our room was fantastic, very clean.

doddsy69, I am sorry to hear that.  Essex House is my favorite, and I'd have stayed forever if they wouldn't have had a 12pm checkout 

Platinum 28 Reviews

doddsy69

WOW - With a daughter attending college in NY and my business duties I  stay in Manhattan six to seven times a year.

When my stays do not include travelling to Bronxville (my daughter's school is located 30 minutes from GC Station) I stay at the Essex House and have never had a bad experience.  In fact the Essex House is the only hotel that has recognized and treated me like a "king" due to my PP status. (upon checkin a manager on duty came out to welcome me and "thank me" for being a PP - I said " other than that greeting we PP's don't get much more"  - he retorted, " well, let me tell you this, we have 50 Platinum Members in the hotel this evening - and one PP - you are the only member in the hotel  to be upgraded to a suite!!" I was floored and thanked him)

Now - when the need is to be close to GC Station - my "home away from home" has been the Marriott East Side - again, a wonderful property with a huge new lounge facility.  I have always been upgraded to a larger room but not a suite.

Bottom line - I wouldn't air your complaints here - they will go unheard - I would send a letter directly to the GM of the property.  I am hopeful that their integrity will make am mends on your next trip.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I have always wondered if the cost/points/hype was worth it. It appears it is not. I personally enjoy the New York Marriott Downtown. Clean, quiet rooms, great on weekends since lower Manhattan isn't busy on weekends.

ive stayed at 12 marriotts in nyc and would rank this bottom of the pile the place was a madhouse it maybe had something to do with the chaos caused by the visit of the pope and un leaders

IT sucked so much we checked out a day and a half early

Its being dealt with by the jw management team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...