17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2015 12:59 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

How can I earn Gold in three weeks? (I need 11 more Elite Nights)

viennaalways Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All!

I'm looking for advice on how to gain Gold status by August 15 (before a trip on which I'll spend six nights in three different Marriotts).  I currently have 39 nights.  I have the Marriott credit card and so does my husband (he has a separate rewards account).  Any tips?

I thought of signing up for the Ritz Carlton credit card, which would give automatic Gold status.  But I'm so close that I'd rather not pay the $395 to do that.  Plus, I wouldn't keep both cards so it would mean giving up for the free night at a Marriott each year.  I'll likely need to do the Ritz card in 2017 to keep gold status as I don't travel quite enough to maintain Gold on just credit card + travel along.

I've heard of Gold challenges but it looks like you don't get Gold until the completion of the challenge.

Thanks for any tips!

- Vienna

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How can I earn Gold in three weeks? (I need 11 more Elite Nights)
    702rugbyref Platinum

Credit cards redeem a night/$3k spent and not usually added until after your credit card billing cycle AND must be paid prior to it accruing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Do a meeting at a coutyard meeting room. Ive read people being able to do this to get those 10 credits for rewarding events. I believe some require a room(s) to be booked as well but some dont. Your other two choices are actually staying nights or the ritz card.

vankenobi030 Gold

You should be able to e-mail Marriot Guest Services and request an upgrade to Gold from Silver paying 25.000 points. I know that this works at the beginning of each year (at least in Germany) , I am not sure if it is possible to do it in august. Trying is free !

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

jm1991 has the best idea here, 10 elite nights are earned when you book a meeting (ensuring its in your name with your MR# on it). Such meetings can cost as little as £50 (in UK) for an hour for 2 people. In USA a Courtyard is probably the best place to hold it!

Of course before you do this you need to ask yourself whether Gold will do anything for your trip as the extra half point per $ certainly wont. Gold works best at Full Service hotels, Marriotts, Autograph, Renaissance and JW Marriott since most have a lounge giving evening food and breakfast free of charge. In Asia and Europe the food offerings can be all-day and include free alcohol. This benefit, especially outside the USA, can be very, very valuable. Those properties without a lounge offer free breakfast in the restaurant, again a substantial saving, if you're a breakfast type.

The other benefit of Gold is room upgrades, but if you're expecting suites, forget it, Marriott doesn't generally build many suites into its hotel designs so there are very few to upgrade elites to. Again this arbitrages best at Full Service properties since they have a larger variety of rooms to upgrade to (corner rooms, exec rooms, larger rooms, concierge rooms, balcony rooms, view rooms etc, etc, etc) whereas Courtyards and Fairfield Inns tend to have little opportunity to do so in their cookie cutter designs.

In short if your trip includes lots of Courtyards and Fairfield Inns in USA and Canada, Gold won't benefit you that much, but if it includes mainly full service hotels, especially outside North America, it can easily be worth $100/nt and a couple of meetings at your local Fairfield Inn or Courtyard should be worth the investment. Do them as soon as possible though as I've found all my meetings needed a chase up with Marriott for the 10 elite nights credit, and that can take a week or two!

joshm Member

ALWAYS so helpful, brightlybob.

viennaalways Gold

Thanks, brightlybob,

I'll be going on an international trip and staying in full service Marriotts and JWs.  Gold would give me lounge access and free breakfast.  I'm thinking of sucking it up and getting the Ritz-Carlton credit card but am disappointed that the 140,000 points are no longe being offered.  Only option is two nights at a Ritz (where I would not be able to use the lounge) and that's just not something I see myself using.

joshm Member

Welcome to Insiders, viennaalways, and thanks for taking the time to post!

There are some great and helpful answers shared here, which is what this place is all about! When you tap into this forum, you're tapping into a network of knowledge and experience that spans the globe and thousands of stays and experiences. Please, don;t hesitate to explore the page and see for yourself.

If you have any questions you would like help with, or concerns of any kind, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or carat. We make up the moderation team for the site and we're here to support the community.

Again, welcome to the site. We're happy to have you as part of the Insiders family!

viennaalways Gold

Thank you all for your help!  It was a close call between booking a meeting and the RC card but I decided to go for the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card.  It was a quick process (gave approval instantly) and said my card would arrive in 7-10 business days. 

New question:  What do I need to do to make sure Gold status is applied to my account before I leave for my trip on August 15?  Also, how do I get the hotel credit applied to my Marriott stay later this month?  I know I need to rebook using the new Ritz card but it's not clear what else I need to do.

[I'm attempting to tag joshm , not sure if I'm doing it correctly]

Thanks again!  Happy travels!

joshm Member

You did it correctly, viennaalways!

I'm going to look into this a bit more for you. In the meantime, it may serve as a workaround to contact customer care directly about this. I've included the Marriott Rewards customer support number below:

(801) 468-4000

Hope this helps!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Gold was applied even before my card arrived.  Also you may want to still message chase through secure message and ask politely if it would be possible to get the 140k points offer instead. Before they would switch it with no hesitation but not now but it's worth a try.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean with the second question.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You could buy a new BMW for $39,000 at a dealer that would let you put the whole thing on your MR credit card.  That would get you 13 nights credit.

702rugbyref Platinum

I think your approval of the card gives you immediate Gold Status...I think.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...