35 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2015 10:41 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Marriott Changes to Earning Points and Nights

suhrfam Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Gold member for several years with a couple of years at Platinum, obviously based on my travel patterns.  As I am in the travel industry, I utilize the travel rate which is a special rate.  Usually, the rates are $5-$10 less than the AAA rate.  Almost not worth the aggravation, but every penny my company saves is a good thing!!!  Now, Marriott has decided that they will enforce a policy that was never enforced in the past.  If you use a special rate, you will no longer receive points and nights.  Hilton does not have this policy, and my company has a corporate agreement with them.  I have always chosen Marriott with the travel rate because it was often cheaper than our corporate rate with Hilton.  Plus, I am a fan of Marriott.  I will qualify as a Gold member by the end of August again, but that will probably draw the line for me.  Even today, I received an email from Hilton stating that they wanted me back.  With my travel pattern, I will probably add another 30 nights this year.  Marriott won't get them.  Maybe there is too much profitability at Marriott that giving points and nights on a rate that is $5-$10 less than a rate that receives points and nights isn't worth it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Changes to Earning Points and Nights
    702rugbyref Platinum

I remember reading a discussion on this topic earlier this month somewhere on here regarding travel rate discounts and lack of MRs. I am not sure this is applied across the board on other special rates however. I would like for one of the moderators to chime in on this. Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

702rugbyref is correct that the prior discussion was about the special travel rate.  I don't qualify for that and have never used it.  However, I stay all the time on either AAA rate or Senior rate.  I believe that I always receive credit for those stays.  I will certainly watch for credit in the future in light of this discussion.  I don't think there is a problem with getting credit for those rates, but look forward to hearing more.

702rugbyref Platinum

I use the VIP Athletic rate and AAA rates all the time and up until now has not been an issue. I travel basically weekly so I will watch closely as well. It would seem that Marriott would not do this but never know.

suhrfam Gold

So I qualify for the travel rate because I am an airline employee.  Oftentimes, this rate is not available because it is capacity controlled.  And quite often it is only about $5-$10 less than the AAA rate.  So if the travel rate is not available, I use the AAA rate which still gets points and nights. The crazy thing is that Marriott is willing to let go of good customers for just a few dollars.  Hilton does not have this restriction, along with all other hotels.  According to Marriott rewards, this rate was never eligible, but now they have started to enforce it.  When I spoke to the guy today, he asked me if I would leave Marriott because of this, in which I replied yes.  Why would I stay if I get no benefits???  His reply was simply, "sorry to see you go."  Total nonsense.  Keep an eye on your nights and points people!!!  Marriott has made changes that only benefit them!!!

702rugbyref Platinum

such a bummer. I have often found the need to put your argument in writing and sent it along to the higher authorities and maybe you will get the answer you seek.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

This does not make sense to me.  I frequently travel using the Govt./Military rate, which is usually a lot cheaper than five dollars below the AAA rate and I get full credit for all my stays.

I would expect that Marriott would not want to alienate the travel industry. 

Actually, if all Marriott is losing is five or ten dollars per night, why would they want to alienate such travelers?

Could someone from Marriott please jump in to this thread.

702rugbyref Platinum

Problem with the government rate however it is biased towards federal agencies. If you are a local/county (usually not a flush with $$ as the Feds), rarely are eligible for this rate  - if one were to read the details of the government rate.

suhrfam Gold

In July, I stayed at the Miami Airport Marriott, where the travel rate was $93 and the AAA rate was $98.  The current travel rate at the JFK Airport Fairfield Inn is $160 and the AAA rate is $170.  I stayed at the Montreal Airport Marriott (gorgeous hotel, by the way) and I paid $160 with the travel rate while the AAA rate was $169.  No, Marriott should not try to alienate the travel industry people.  I work at airports and we have irregularities which require hotel use.  I push everybody to Marriott properties because I know the displaced passengers will receive a high standard.  I don't have to do that.  I can push them to a cheaper hotel with a little less of a high standard.

suhrfam Gold

Just booked 20 rooms at the Newark Airport Marriott due to an irregularity with our flight.  If Marriott can't change their policy, I will enforce a policy that does not allow booking at a Marriott.  Plenty of hotels at the airport that would love to have our business.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have written much about this change on here and Flyertalk.

The communication from Marriott has been blunt and has lacked a satisfactory explanation as to why this policy has changed, Like other posting I fail to understand why the TVL rates have been excluded from nights and points credit, when they are often more expensive than other discounted rates and even most corporate deals.

I have been a huge Marriott fan for many years, pushing my customers and friends over to Marriott properties whenever I can. I no longer do this, and I have now found since Marriott really upset me by doing this I am staying at a variety of other brands and getting some great service at hotels I never would have tried before. I still feel upset about it, but Marriott  have made it clear they do not value my business any more and they can see from my reduction in nights that they have lost me (except for my favourite resort properties which I have had connections with for many years).

Marriott have made a serious misjudgment with this change and long term will lose out. I don't think for one minute they care though.

travelsquid Platinum

Sounds a bit absurd to me.  I've been a Platinum Elite member for years traveling often under the Gov't/Mil rate and I am certain that Marriott would have sent out some kind of notification to it's members regarding such a dramatic policy change.  Definitely worth following this one closely since I have more than 45 mights nights coming up between now and December!

suhrfam Gold

Still no update from Marriott and no comment that someone is looking into this.  On Saturday night, we booked 26 rooms at $299 each due to a flight irregularity.  I could have used any other airport hotel as there was plenty of availability.  If Marriott does not come up with a response by the end of this week, then I will instruct my teams at 9 different airports that we ban using Marriott for passengers who are affected by an irregularity.  Additionally, I will instruct the staff coming over for audits and visits to these 9 airports that we utilize any hotel, but Marriott.  This is really a big mistake by Marriott and they will end up losing in the long run.  Funny thing is, Marriott Sales keeps contacting me for a meeting to set up a contract to use their services everywhere.  Not going to happen if they can't change this policy back!  Seems to me that Marriott is losing its focus on the guest.

tintin Platinum

Military rates at certain overseas location are subject to local restrictions and may be ineligible for points or elite night credit.

Rooms booked through third party online retailers such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, TripAdvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night regardless of booking channel.

suhrfam Gold

It still does not make sense why Marriott would deny the points and nights on a rate that is only a few dollars less than the AAA rate.  At times, even the AAA rate is higher!  While I understand the Marriott T's & C's, they don't make logical sense.  In addition to losing me, they will also end up losing all of my company's business, which can be quite significant.  They just offered me 5,000 points as compensation, but no nights.

702rugbyref Platinum

I think it is considered 'hush points'. Folks in the travel industry have the power to influence and if this person influences folks to go your way, you would think it is a very very positive thing.

joshm Member

Lots of good conversation here, Insiders.

The subject matter you're discussing is covered in the thread below, with the TVL rate as the specific theme.

Re: Not credited for a stay booked under TVL code

This has been a fairly hot topic, and there is lots of information included in the thread that speaks to the TVL rate. Given the similarity of the topics and the newness of this thread, it may serve the community most effectively to post to that thread.

suhrfam Gold

Just tried to add this thread also to the post that you have suggested, but can't get it to work!  Marriott is going to lose big time if they are going to lose the travel industry!!

joshm Member

suhrfam,

In attempting to add this thread to the other, how did you go about trying to do that? copying and pasting the thread URL is an easy way to share this thread from within a comment on the other. Let me know and I can do this for you.

Regarding this topic in general, and the information that has been shared on this thread as well as the other thread on the subject of rates, I'd like to help provide clarity for you. I can share your original post with the greater Marriott team (I'm happy to do so) or look into any specific questions you have for detailed information!

suhrfam Gold

I tried to copy/paste the thread but it would not allow me to paste.  So, if you want to go ahead and do it, then go for it!  Thanks a lot!!!

joshm Member

Done.

I edited one of your posts to include the link to this thread.

suhrfam Gold

Marriott just sent me a survey about the response I received after I lodged my complaint via email.  I received the same generic response that I have received from everyone at Marriott.  At least they are consistent!!  You can imagine the scores I gave on the survey!!!

suhrfam Gold

It's quite interesting to me that nobody from Marriott has chimed in here.  I was told by the Gold Elite desk, if it really is an elite desk, that these forums are monitored by members of the Marriott management team and they take these topics seriously.  So far, I have yet to hear anything from Marriott on this thread, and it really makes me wonder if they are listening, or do you they do this to make the travelers feel important?  Giving a guest the opportunity to vent and give ideas is one way a corporation makes people feel important, regardless if they do something or not.  I am starting to lean to the opinion that this is all a bait and switch tactic of Marriott.

702rugbyref Platinum

I know there are several monitors on here that chime in regularly. Hopefully they do soon for you.

suhrfam Gold

So just canceled by Marriott reservation for next week.  I am "living" at JFK this month and have decided to change to the Crowne Plaza.  I don't have the time to wait for somebody at Marriott to make the right decision on this topic.  Marriott lost my loyalty, as well as my company's business.

suhrfam Gold

Marriott really cracks me up!  Just received an email from them congratulating me on 18 years of loyalty.  Are they for real?

suhrfam Gold

On another note, the Miami Airport Marriott is giving 500 points for guests who forgo housekeeping service.  Just leave the door hanger by 2am and you will receive 500 points for each night, up to three nights stayed.  I stayed for two nights, but didn't receive any bonus.  They owe me 1,000 points.  It has nothing to do with the rate, it has to do with them being able to reduce costs by not paying overtime to their housekeeping staff when there are a lot of rooms to clean.  Where are my points Marriott?????

peripateticepiscopalian Gold

Yep. Stayed in SLC (City Creek, right by the Salt Palace) in June. I didn't get the housekeeping points, nor did I get points on the room rate, just incidental spending.

702rugbyref Platinum

Marriott Denver West also...I started a discussion on this a month or so ago. I think it is a positive green movement and provides us with bonus points - assuming they actually do!

travelsquid Platinum

Marriott treats me like a King!  Always accommodating (no pun) and always flexible.  It's all in the delivery.

tr07 Platinum

I can tell you that I travel on a special corporate rate that is significantly cheaper than the normal rates and I always get points and nights credited to my account.   The points that I accrue are much less than other guests who are paying the higher rates because the points are based off of the room rate...which I understand and I am ok with.  Although, I don't understand why they would cancel the points all together since they are already devaluing your stay with less points already.  I will say I will be keeping a close eye on my account to make sure I continue receiving both points/nights for my travels.  If there is a change in policy, then I will make a move to another brand.

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

I think some people in this discussion are misunderstanding what is being discussed here. Apparently Marriott is no longer awarding points for stays on the travel industry rate.  I have no dog in that fight.  I guess I can see both sides of the argument, and for those affected by the change I think it is a big deal. 

There is no suggestion, as far as I know, that Marriott will stop awarding points for any other special rate (such as AAA rate, Senior Rate, Government rate, etc.).

702rugbyref Platinum

That is how I have read this blog as well. There is no obvious intention of eliminating other reduced rate benefits.