32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2015 3:35 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

How does this happen?

j-zo Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

After a long day of flight delays and very long lines, I was telling a friend that the day couldn't get any worse.  Boy was I Wrong. Rather than spend 2 hours in the customer service line at ATL to get my hotel voucher, I decided to book my own hotel.  Being a loyal Marriott platinum customer, I quickly logged into the Marriott app and secured my place to stay for the night since my flight was rebooked for the following morning.  I finally get checked in around midnight and head up to my room for some much needed sleep.  I slide my key and open the door and head straight for the bed.  now imagine the surprise of the nice couple already OCCUPYING MY BED!  Well I guess in this scenario, it's their bed.  Anyway, after an awkward conversation, I quickly make my way out of their room where I head back down to the front desk.  During my long wait in line to speak with the receptionist, I overheard another gentleman having a conversation about a similar experience.  Luckily for him, the room he barged into had the latch closed so he never had to have that awkward conversation.  When I finally was able to get through the line and speak with the front desk attendant,rather than apologizing or showing any sort of care or concerns, she simply muttered "are you kidding me?" "Not another one".  After a short, unapologetic conversation, I was handed a key to what I hoped to be an unoccupied room.  Thankfully, she got it right this time.

After reading comments here and on other travel sites, to my surprise, this is a fairly common occurrence. With 108 nights this year, apparently I'm lucky that this is the first time this has happened. Wow!

Marriott, you got to get this right! What if the man I awoke from a deep sleep thought I was breaking into his room?  What if I scared the older gentleman into a heart attack?  you're placing your guests in danger, not to mention I now have to question the security of my belongings when I'm not in my room.

you've got to get this fixed!

After a long day of flight delays and very long lines, I was telling a friend that the day couldn't get any worse.  Boy was I Wrong. Rather than spend 2 hours in the customer service line at ATL to get my hotel voucher, I decided to book my own hotel.  Being a loyal Marriott platinum customer, I quickly logged into the Marriott app and secured my place to stay for the night since my flight was rebooked for the following morning.  I finally get checked in around midnight and head up to my room for some much needed sleep.  I slide my key and open the door and head straight for the bed.  now imagine the surprise of the nice couple already OCCUPYING MY BED!  Well I guess in this scenario, it's their bed.  Anyway, after an awkward conversation, I quickly make my way out of their room where I head back down to the front desk.  During my long wait in line to speak with the receptionist, I overheard another gentleman having a conversation about a similar experience.  Luckily for him, the room he barged into had the latch closed so he never had to have that awkward conversation.  When I finally was able to get through the line and speak with the front desk attendant,rather than apologizing or showing any sort of care or concerns, she simply muttered "are you kidding me?" "Not another one".  After a short, unapologetic conversation, I was handed a key to what I hoped to be an unoccupied room.  Thankfully, she got it right this time.

After reading comments here and on other travel sites, to my surprise, this is a fairly common occurrence. With 108 nights this year, apparently I'm lucky that this is the first time this has happened. Wow!

Marriott, you got to get this right! What if the man I awoke from a deep sleep thought I was breaking into his room?  What if I scared the older gentleman into a heart attack?  you're placing your guests in danger, not to mention I now have to question the security of my belongings when I'm not in my room.

you've got to get this fixed!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How does this happen?
    joshm Member

@j-zo,

Thanks for taking the time to share this experience with the community here at Marriott Rewards Insiders, and welcome to the forum.

I am Josh and I'm one of the community moderators for the page.

Was there any more of a conversation between you and management about this? I'm going to be passing this along to the greater team as well, for this isn't the kind of thing that should be happening to guests, already in their rooms as well as those checking in!

Being new to the forum, I encourage you to explore the site and everything it offers. From insights and recommendations to travel news and general conversation, this place really is great.

Thanks for reaching out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

j-zo Platinum

Thanks Josh,

no I did not talk to the management staff, I was in a hurry to catch my flight this morning.  Thanks for forwarding this on to those who can look into this further.  Overall I know Marriott does a great job, I just think this location needs some help.  I look forward to hearing from you.

702rugbyref Platinum

This has only happened to me on two occasions but I have had others try to enter my room several times. I ALWAYS put the latch across.

Jsucool76 Gold

because of horror stories i read here and on flyertalk i always latch my door for that very reason.

Though I'm sure Josh will take great care of you, I would speak with the GM of the hotel (if you're still there) or shoot them an email. The room assignment was bad enough, but the response from the front desk agent isn't acceptable.

ramoneur Platinum

deja vu?

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

Human error is how this happens.  Has happened to me a couple of times.  As recently as 2 weeks ago in Orlando.  Each time I was in the room with the latch and my room was assigned and or given to another guest.

Even if you will only be in your room for a few minutes, always latch the door.  You never know!

702rugbyref Platinum

Things happen but you would hope it would not happen to yourself and be embarrassed.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Is there a chance that this was the Atlanta Airport Marriott - for my money the worst run Marriott I have ever stayed at.

Didn't go through the strange experience you did.  I was only treated as a criminal when my Marriott Credit Card was on "call bank" due to a fraud alert - the receptionist broadcast the declination loud enough for the ATL tower to hear and proceeded to give me the worst room in the hotel.

After calling Chase and correcting the problem I returned to reception to get the card changed (extra points) was told to come back later she was too busy.

I asked to speak to the manager on duty (it was after midnight) - not available - another room please - sorry you are not entitled as you have had the current room for an hour -.

Letters went to corporate with their response of a free night ANYWHERE I WANTED AS LONG AS IT WAS A CATEGORY 4 OR LOWER  - When was the last time you found a 4 in a major city??????????????

702rugbyref Platinum

CAT 4 is pretty impressive...IF you are a hurricane. Embarrassing.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Category 4:  I actually found one or two Cat 4's where the bathroom was actually IN THE ROOM and not down the hall.

Wow! what luxury.

702rugbyref Platinum

Most definitely a prerequisite of mine is having my own bathroom.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I've stayed twice at the ATL airport Marriott (the one offsite - not the one connected by the plane train).  First time, there was a sorority convention happening there, and I almost turned around and left.  But the sorority sisters were actually very well-behaved.  The second time there was a pre-teen cheer/dance convention happening, and I definitely should have turned around and left.  The cheer/dance participants thought it would be fun to have an all-night party in the hallway outside my room, and when I tried to walk down the hall with my luggage, they were p!$$ed that I was "in their way."  I asked the front desk for a room on a floor where the cheer/dance teams were NOT, and I was told that they "were everywhere."  But the hotel management was polite and tried to help, and they waived my parking fee.  So I can't really fault the hotel.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

They should have used certain floors to isolate them. I stay at the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott a few times a year and in winter there are always youth hockey teams that stay there. For the most part they are behaved but every so often you get a handful of kids who want to play in the hall and make noise. It usually ends by 10PM and it is the responsibility of the parents and chaperones to make sure the kids are in bed. The hotel does try to give them specific floors to minimize disruption. They also have a discreet security staff that is available when assistance is needed. Overall the property has the policies and personnel in place and manages their room inventory to keep issues to a minimum and quickly take care of any that do pop up.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've had problems with 3 of the FS Marriotts in Atlanta.  They were the Concourse Renaissance ATL, the ATL Airport Marriott that's just up the hill from the CY, and the JW Marriott on the NW side of Atlanta across from the big shopping center.   

702rugbyref Platinum

One of the reasons I try to avoid Atlanta.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My travels never take me to ATL and I guess I should be glad! Peaches are just okay anyway

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

This happened to us in Miami several years ago.  But the customers were trying to break in our room at 2:00 am.  They even went thru adjoining room and tried to come in that way.  I just refused to pay for the room since I was inconvenienced.  If you refuse to pay and cost them money, maybe they will train the help better. 

BTW, Hampton INN as a sign prominently placed that if you are not happy, you don't pay.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT's happen to me twice with me on the entering side. Both times the room had clothes but not the people thankfully. I have never had someone enter my room . Of course to my knowledge . Good point on latch i will do from now on

nadine

How did they get access to the adjoining room?  Something sounds really fishy to me, especially since the hotel accepted your non-payment without a hassle.  Was this at a Hampton Inn or a Marriott since you didn't say which brand it was?

After they could not enter from the one door because the chain was on the door, they went to front desk and the clerk came with them to try to enter thru the adjoining door.  Then they called and asked how we got in the room.  I told them the manager had put us there after I complained about the first room that they had given to us.  Apparently he made the keys and then forgot to tell the computer that we had changed rooms.  It was a Fairfield Inn near Miami airport, I think.  It was more like a motel 6 though.  They first offered me 2,000 points.  I told them that was not happening, that I was just not paying for the room since my sleep was disturbed.  They said OK.  I have had just about anything that can happen, happen at a Marriott.  Fallen elevator in Ft. Lauderdale, thousands of ants in the bathtub on the fourth floor in Milwaukee, drunk trying to get in the room then taking his pants off outside my door in Nashville, power failure in Denver, etc.  They do usually make it right though.  I just mentioned Hampton because they guarantee you will be happy or you don't pay and they proudly display the sign.  Of course things have happened at the Hilton chain also. 

Thanks for your answer, nadine.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

After more than a thousand hotel nights, I've never had an experience like that!  With today's computer capabilities, it blows my mind that this could happen!  That it happened to someone else on the same day speaks volumes about the hotel.

At the least, you should have gotten a free room for the night.

yardape Platinum 1 Reviews

The same thing happened to me last year after a long day of flight delays and "wonderful" airline hospitality... NOT! So, I got to the hotel, checked in, and had my back turned after opening the room door and marched toward the desk just see a business man standing there on his phone dressed in nothing else but his tighty-whitey... yep, I about-faced with a crimson face and marched downstairs. Yep, they got an earful... dang, I did laugh about it later and prayed I wouldn't see him in the lounge. LOL... not that I'd have recognized him dressed...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IVe got to be marching towards 1000 hotel nights now, about 500 of them at Marriotts, but it's only happened to me once, at the Forest of Arden Marriott, walked in the room to find bags on the floor. Didn't stop to see if anyone was there with them but nobody screamed or shouted so I guess not. New room allocated, with some embarrassment...

702rugbyref Platinum

It could always be worse. I had a rugby team check into a NON-MARRIOTT hotel back in June -Flagstaff, Az and upon going to their room, there was a dead body! Now ruggers get the bad rap all the time but what does this say about their house-keeping?!

702rugbyref

I can't even imagine what that experience was like!!!!  One for the books, that's for sure.

702rugbyref Platinum

Luckily, they had their alibis in place but how could this happen when the room after being cleaned should have had no access except for the incoming client.

702rugbyref, was the dead body that of a drug-addled celebrity?  More than a few have met their makers within the confines of a 5-star hotel.  I guess I can think of worse places to "check out"...

On second thought, not sure if Flag has any 5-stars

702rugbyref Platinum

I do not know...

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Not good! Very scary and could be very dangerous. What might help, along with barring the door,  is to always hang the "Do not Disturb Sign" when you are in a room so that in the, hopefully rare, instance another guest is also booked into your occupied room they will see that sign and not attempt to enter. 

merc Platinum

the Do Not Disturb does slow the time to recover the body...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...