45 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2015 1:38 PM by iahflyr RSS

Griffin Clubs at JW Properties

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been looking at the new JW in Cabo San Lucas that is opening in September of 2015 with interest.  On the hotel website, it makes reference to a CL which is open everyday 0600-2300.  When I look at the room rates page, it makes mention (on this page and nowhere else) of:

Guest room, ocean front

and

Griffin Club, Concierge level, guest room, ocean front.

The rooms above appear to be identical, however the second room listed (with Griffin Club) is $90 more.  I would normally assume that this would be a room that someone without gold or platinum status would book if they wanted lounge access.  I would also therefore assume that as a gold/platinum member, I could book the room at the lower rate without the lounge access, but receive complimentary access with my gold/plat status.  That is, until a recent post made by curiousone in this thread, Re: Mayflower Hotel Washington DC where he/she makes mention of the "Griffin Club" at JW Desert Ridge and that it is an "uber" club, requiring a $95 fee/day p/p for usage. 

So my question is, what can I expect as a gold/plat with regards to Griffin Club access at this new resort?  Has anyone else ever encountered the "Griffin Club" at a JW and was it complimentary with gold/plat status?  Is there a CL and a Griffin Club?  This Griffin Club business sounds a lot like how they do things at the Ritz Carlton.

Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • Re: Griffin Clubs at JW Properties
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes, I'd like to know, also. My recent JW stay in Kuala Lumpur featured a top of the line CL, I was not aware of it being a Griffin Club. If it was, I sure didn't pay anything extra to get in. So, if this special club exists, is it only at certain JWs?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I stayed at the new JW Marriott Houston Downtown earlier this year and it had a Griffin (can't remember though if they called it Club or Lounge). It is the Concierge/Executive Lounge. It may be that new JW's are re-branding the CL to Griffin. Hopefully, we'll get some more responses about stays at new JW's.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have never heard of the Griffin Club...hmmm

Platinum 28 Reviews

I've heard of the Mickey Mouse Club, The Auto Club, and even the United Airlines Club!

Granted, I don't get around much.  Would though love to find out what the Griffin Club is.

If you could explain it to my rugby friend - he will translate for me.

702rugbyref Platinum

Did you intentionally forget the Playboy Club?

curiousone Platinum

I called the Griffin Club at JW Desert Ridge to see what they could tell me. Lisa is a hostess in the Griffin Cub and stated that at this time there is only one "official" Griffin Club, as a test platform. Apparently Marriott has recently made the decision to extend the Griffin Club to all the JW properties. While I was talking with Lisa I mentioned that the web page seemed to have old pricing, since I had been quoted $95 last December. She said that $65 is the correct price. This I consider to be a good deal. Now if I could just use Marriott cheques to pay the $65 price.

Food & Beverage

As a guest of the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge's Griffin Club, you will enjoy crafted regional and local food offerings with specialty daily menu items during each of our culinary presentations that include:

• 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Chef-prepared Breakfast Buffet
    • 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Midday Lunch
    • 4:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Hosted premium bar with beer, wines and spirits
    • 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Hors d'oeurves
    • 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Interactive culinary experience
    • 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Dessert Sampling
    • Coffee, tea, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the day

Exclusive Amenities

Your daily $65 per guest per night membership includes daily access to our Revive Spa, wireless Internet with AirPrint capabilities, iPads, games, magazines and newspapers.

The JW Griffin Club experience is limited to guest 21 years of age and older. Please be advised that there is a business/smart casual dress code in the lounge.

Tthanks for your reply, curiousone.  Interesting.  I will call the platinum line and see what specific info I can get with regards to the JW property at Cabo and will share my findings.

Thanks for calling and clarifying.  That food and beverage offering and schedule look very similar to how the Club Level offering at RC's is handled throughout the day.  Since "resorts" don't generally have a CL, this might be the new way the JW resorts are going to offer the amenity.  It will be interesting to see if there is any opportunity for upgrading.

702rugbyref Platinum

Sounds great!

I spoke with a couple of people, one on the Marriott Rewards help desk, one who actually worked at the JW Camelback Inn at one point, and another person on the Plat elite reservation line.  Both confirmed that "resorts", whether Marriott, JW or otherwise do not have concierge lounges, per se, and that the Griffin Club is indeed different from a typical concierge lounge, having a bit more upscale offerings pretty much all day long, as curiousone references, much like how the Club Lounges work at Ritz Carltons: no complimentary elite access.  So the Griffin Club would not be included in the regular room rate, but if it is wanted, should be booked at the Griffin Club room rate.  Now the associate did mention that in the hospitality industry, anything is possible, and exceptions (read upgrades or special dispensation) can be made, but both associates said that until the hotel property actually opens, there is no one yet on site that we can speak with who can actually shed any more light on the subject, in terms of how this specific property intends to handle the Griffin Club with respect to elite guests.

My plan is to book 3 reservations (for 2016) as place holders:

1) ocean front room, cash

2) ocean front room with Griffin Club ($90 more/night), cash

3) ocean front room, no Griffin Club offered, on points

Then wait a few months until after the property is up and running to find out if:

1) Griffin Club may be offered as an upgrade to elites and/or

2) If a cash upgrade can be made for Griffin Club when staying on points.

Then based on the information, keep the reservation option that I want, deleting the rest.

I don't think that we will see Griffin Clubs at all JW's, only JW resorts.

I'll update with more information in coming months.

Well done pluto77, thanks for your post.  This is good info that gives insight into this new Griffin Club concept at JW resorts.  Interesting that it appears the powers that be have decided to draw from the RC Club Level experience and offer that at the next level (well, half-level, resorts only) down.  Given that the resort properties are often where splurges occur, it seems like a good move on their part.  I, for one, welcome the opportunity to have this option at the JW resort properties and am interested to see how it may evolve.

Edit:  P.S.  I also like your reservation approach.  Keep us posted

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have my room booked using point savers and will keep it as never having visited Cabo before we will learn the area.

In Caucun at the JW Club 91 is great however; we've been there many times and know the walking distance to great dining is limited so the Club seemed like a wonderful offer.  The food was outstanding the service topped that so the Griffin is even close it is well worth the dollars.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Thanks to curiousone for the info.

I am just this obnoxious guy from the "left coast" and I will admit that I don't stay that often in JW's - In fact in the last 60 days my overnights at the Essex House (NY) JW Indianapolis and San Francisco totally 11 nights isn't that important to Marriott - so they have kept this Lifetime Plat and current Premier in the Dark - If I would have seen a sign directing me to a "griffin club" I would have assumed it was a cell meeting of some secret organization.

You would think that they would, at the least, test or invite, that grouping that supposedly represents the top 3% of their customers to experience and report.

If successful this (membership) should be a "perk" of Life Plats or Premiers.

I guess I should be happy that I have something new to complain about.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll complain with you!

My question is...will the griffin clubs be replacing the standard CL at JW hotels, meaning golds/plats will be losing a benefit at JW hotels.

Doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. Secretly watering down benefits?

Edit: After a thorough 1.5 minutes of research I see this is something that only seems to exist at JW resorts where we get no benefits anyways =]

We did book a room on the Club 91 level at the Best Resorts in Cancun, Mexico | JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa a few years ago and it was fabulous.  The food was very well prepared and plentiful, service on the money and the room was spectacular.  Well worth the money if you don't want to wander around the hotel area for dining experiences.

Griffin Club sounds very similar and I also cannot wait to get my Cabo reservations.

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews

Are the rooms on the Club 91 level any different that the rest of the hotel? I just booked a room using points and was curious. I'll also have to keep an eye out for Griffin Clubs!

Our room was a Suite so I really can't comment on what other rooms the JW had in Cancun on the Club 91 level.

tomba11 Platinum

I have been exchanging notes with Oscar on the JW Cabo property and its unclear on the exact details with the Griffin Upgrade. From the base room to the Griffin I have been told it $170 more a night but its unclear on what exactly the Griffin detail gets a person. Been asking and asking and the replies are just so many days apart. well, if anyone has more detail on the JW Cabo Griffin please post. I understand they don't open til Nov but one would think the marketing team would have this all in place vs. renderings on everything.  Please share any details on JW Cabo as it sounds like its gonna be nice but need more details Marriott..........

tomba11, if you look on the reservation page for the hotel, you will see that a room with Griffin Club access is exactly $100 more/night than the same exact room with no GC access, so I'm not exactly sure where the $170 figure that you were provided by Oscar is coming from.  I also noticed on one of the reservation pages for the property (I think I plugged in an arbitrary date of Feb 2) that the GC "luxury" experience includes things like chef cooked breakfast, afternoon tea, soft drinks and snacks, continuous culinary offerings, turn down service, welcome amenity, 24 hour butler service, etc.  I don't have the exact verbiage right, but you can go there and read it for yourself ( I'd duplicate it exactly here for you, but I'm on my iPad).  It also mentions that the offerings are for two people.  I agree that this hotel's forward marketing strategy seems to be a bit of a confusing mess, but I am trusting at this point that they will treat their guests very well.

tomba11 Platinum

Pluto: (sorry to beat a dead horse here)  here is a helpful link to get us all on the same page: https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

On points for 7 nights I currently have reservation for

Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Partial ocean view

with the dates (Late Feb) I have plugged in the cash rate for the base room is $360 a night w/o tax and fees

So, If I was to assume the JW staff was logical and I follow the first link I sent you above

I should pay (one would think)  the difference between my base room and the lowest level Griffin Room called the GriffinClub Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Oceanfront

which would be $180 difference a day plus tax which could turn into $230 with all the tax and resort fee stuff. does that make sense? This is my guess on how they are coming up with a potential charge since I paid via points for the base room.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here!! Good read

ramoneur Platinum

Griffin?

Peter Griffin?

griffin.JPG

Let's hope that once they actually open we can all get better information about the entire property.  I did notice they've got more pictures of the room types and the "ocean facing" label appears to be more "oceanfront" type based upon the photos.  Remember, other countries label things differently than what we might expect in the U.S.!

Platinum 28 Reviews

USELESS INFORMATION

The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, grýphōn, or γρύπων, grýpōn, early form γρύψ, grýps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and an eagle's talons as its front feet. Because the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle the king of birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of all creatures. Griffins are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions.

ramoneur Platinum

I like my explanation better :-)

Platinum 28 Reviews

ramoneur

My daughter is a student at Sarah Lawrence College (North of Manhattan) and their mascot is the "legendary" Griffin.

Consequently I couldn't resist the post.

tomba11 Platinum

Here is the latest from JW Cabo on Griffin Option most of which is copy and paste from the website:

On behalf of all the hotels´ staff, we are pleased to know that you are interested in staying at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort and Spa.

I am glad to see you are a Marriott Rewards Gold Elite member, we appreciate your loyalty.

Our resort has 299 luxury rooms and suites, of which 45 are located in the Griffin Club, the boutique hotel within our resort with exclusive access for the Griffin guests.

All our rooms and suites feature a balcony with sitting area, 55” LCD TV, digital safety deposit box, radio/ alarm clock with iPod and iPad docking station, working station, minibar and Nespresso coffeemaker at a cost.

The main buildings may be close to the Great Room, the lobby area where you can enjoy the Niparaya JW Bar and the Auka Deli Café, or you might have the option to book a room near the pool area, where your infant will enjoy our exclusive toddlers and infant pool or the family pool. This pool area is as well close to the teens and kids club.

In the Griffin Club you will be able to experience a private check in, professional butler service, special in-room amenities, exclusive business center and auditorium, entertainment room, private pool with poolside bali beds at a cost and the Mayma Lounge, with exclusive food and beverage settings, chimney area and luxury facilities. This area might be truly exclusive and private, however, it is still really close to the rest of the public areas.

If you are interested in booking a Deluxe partial ocean view room rates start at $667.59 USD, taxes and service charge included , for a Griffin Club Deluxe ocean front room, rates start at $903.21 USD taxes and service charge included.

Should you desire to book a room or suite with us I will gladly assist you.

Looking forward to hear back from you, hoping to have the opportunity to pamper you and your family as you deserve.

Warm regards.

tomba11, When I look at rates, a deluxe ocean front griffin club room (for mid-Nov.) starts at$470/night, not $903.21.

tomba11 Platinum

TRY running the dates March 1-8

I see $690, for the 1st week of Mar.  A month ago, the same room was listed under $550.   Even Easter week was under $550.

If you do book an ocean front room, be sure to do both a screen print and a printout of the reservation that shows 'ocean front.'  In August, I booked an ocean front room on points and re-checked my reservation in September, and it had arbitrarily been changed to ocean facing.  When I called about it, I was given some grief, but in the end, was promised in writing that my original reservation for ocean front would be honored, even though they won't change it back to ocean front on my confirmation page.  I also printed the reservation when I made it, before it mysteriously changed to ocean facing.

Looking at the pictures of the rooms which are slowly coming online on the hotel website, it would appear that "Ocean Facing" looks pretty much  like "Ocean Front".

Deluxe
            Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Ocean facing view

Check Room Rates & Availability

It will be interesting to see what they actually are when we get there in January.

tomba11 Platinum

Well, I finally booked JW Cabo today. Used 240,000 points vs Griffin option (with cash upgrade). The way the hotel positioned it was not very sales like. The option of a nicer set of options in the mini-bar, private check and essentially the same room was a bit of a turn off. I really thought they might have some sort of lounge access which I think most of us are used too. Anyways glad to be booked and heading to Cabo for the JW. I will report back on how this turns out. May pay to upgrade once on site as I think the language barrier played a bit of a role in the exchanges with the Hotel staff so far. No biggie.

tomba11 Platinum

Oh and they said you could order room service as part of the Griffin upgrade- really.......

tomba11,

I'm having difficulty understanding your posts.  Did you do Griffin Club option or not?  If so, how much was it (total for 7 nights) in addition to your 240K points?  If you did Griffin Club, then you should be in an exclusive wing, if I am understanding correctly, with it's own amenities (pool, spa, etc.) and you should have access to the Griffin Club lounge.

tomba11 Platinum

Pluto, I did not book griffin as it was $230 extra per night for that option. I did book the base room for 7 nights which was 240,000 points. At the end of the day it sounded like it was the same room, 537 Sq feet. I never heard of the Griffin Lounge in any of the communications. yes separate pool etc as posts indicate but I was having issues at 230 a day on top. Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks for clarifying.  What I'm failing to understand is why you are being quoted $230/day extra, when if you book on the hotel website (Marriott), the ocean front griffin club rooms are only $100/day more.  Yes, they are the exact same room (deluxe room, anyway) as non-Griffin Club rooms, but they are located in a separate wing, with a full ocean front balcony, and in that wing, you have access to the special pool, spa, etc.  You also get access to the Griffin Club lounge, where they offer all of the food/drink amenities, pretty much all day long as described.  I don't understand the $230 upcharge when the reservation page is only quoting $100 more, so I'm feeling a little bit suspicious about how you were dealt with.  For myself, since they don't offer a room on points with Griffin Club access, I would have wheeled and dealed with the person you were corresponding with and said, 'Look, a Griffin Club room on the website is only an additional $100/night more for the exact same room size/type, only with Griffin Club access, so why are you quoting me $230/night?'  Tell them you are only willing to pay $100/night extra, like anyone else booking with cash and see what they say.

I am staying on points too, and have been on the fence with regards to paying extra for the Griffin Club lounge, since I'm not entirely sure what the offerings include (for instance, nothing is mentioned about complimentary adult bevs in the evenings) and the marketing and communications regarding these matters by the hotel staff seems to be - um, challenged.  It's like at this juncture, they are not entirely certain of what they're doing.  I don't know if you saw another post of mine recently, but they switched my ocean front reservation to ocean facing, and then tried to tell me it's the same thing, when clearly it is not, since they offer BOTH room types, but then promised in writing that I would get the ocean front room.  I certainly have some concerns.  I am just hoping that they get the kinks worked out by the time of our stay in Feb. and hope they realize that guest satisfaction early on in the life of this property will have lasting effects on it's reputation, good or bad.

tomba11 Platinum

Thank Pluto, Can you send the link to the portion of the JW Site that's says its 100 a night? I have never seen that. My earlier post gives you an idea of what you get daily and its not adding up to $230. Is by chance it 100 dollars per adult per day? We will have our 4 year old with us.

Ah, tomba11, between your latest post above (with the link, which unfortunately only takes me to the Marriott reservation main page) and your post here, I finally see the light and what I was misunderstanding, and - my bad.  I didn't realize until just now, that your point reservation was for a deluxe guest room, partial ocean view.  I thought (wrongly assumed rather) that your point reservation was for deluxe guest room, ocean front view.  Difference in price between deluxe room, ocean front and Griffin Club deluxe room, ocean front (essentially the same room but with GC) is $100.  Difference between Griffin Club deluxe room, ocean front and deluxe room, partial ocean view would then be much more than the $100.  So I now see why you were being quoted more.  In your case, I wouldn't pay that much extra per day either.  My points reservation is for a deluxe room, ocean front (they had a special points saver promotion going on back in July) and I just assumed yours was the same. Sorry.

i am not one to mind paying an up-charge for a nicer room or better view when staying on points, to the tune of say $50-$100/day even, and esp if it is a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary and I don't want to leave anything to chance, but in your case, $230/day is quite a bit.   Here's something that may work in your favor... Wait until you get there (or check your reservation right before your stay) and see if they've given you a complimentary upgrade due to your elite status.  If they have for instance upgraded you to a full ocean view or ocean front, then you'll be on higher ground and better positioned for a little wheeling and dealing, as you could then negotiate for a GC room for a lot less of an up-charge (maybe then only $100/day up-charge, the difference in price between your upgraded room and the Griffin Club room).  Just an idea..

Unlike when we were in Cancun and had a Club 91 Suite, doesn't the Cabo Griffin Club charge for adult beverages?

I've been in contact with the hotel via email and they seem pretty nice as well as very helpful in giving out information. They told me there are pictures on Tripadvisor of the place as well as some reviews, they look AWESOME!!!

tomba11 Platinum

Looks like they have a new site up with more detail on the Griffin Club:

pluto77 wrote:

I have been looking at the new JW in Cabo San Lucas that is opening in September of 2015 with interest.  On the hotel website, it makes reference to a CL which is open everyday 0600-2300.  When I look at the room rates page, it makes mention (on this page and nowhere else) of:

Guest room, ocean front

and

Griffin Club, Concierge level, guest room, ocean front.

The rooms above appear to be identical, however the second room listed (with Griffin Club) is $90 more.  I would normally assume that this would be a room that someone without gold or platinum status would book if they wanted lounge access.  I would also therefore assume that as a gold/platinum member, I could book the room at the lower rate without the lounge access, but receive complimentary access with my gold/plat status.  That is, until a recent post made by curiousone in this thread, Re: Mayflower Hotel Washington DC where he/she makes mention of the "Griffin Club" at JW Desert Ridge and that it is an "uber" club, requiring a $95 fee/day p/p for usage.

So my question is, what can I expect as a gold/plat with regards to Griffin Club access at this new resort?  Has anyone else ever encountered the "Griffin Club" at a JW and was it complimentary with gold/plat status?  Is there a CL and a Griffin Club?  This Griffin Club business sounds a lot like how they do things at the Ritz Carlton.

Thanks in advance.

tomba11 Platinum

It looks like a new site is up focusing just on the Griffin Club:

http://www.jwmarriottloscabos.com/griffin-club-en

But scratching my head... It doesn't offer very much Info.

tomba11 Platinum

Here is my version of what I have been able to capture over multiple notes to the hotel:

• Free Shuttle from/to airport
        • Premium open bar from 6:00-8:00PM (I assumed for this to be daily)
        • Daily Breakfast 6:30AM-10:30
        • Snack and non alcoholic drinks from 10:30-4:00 (not sure of exact detail here)
        • Butler
        • Room Service from Café Des Artises (Mexican)
        • Exclusive & Private Infinity Pool adjacent Beach
        • Private/Priority Check In
        • Private Poolside Cabana (not sure if this is included?) but new website calls it out
        • Small Fridges are in rooms according to staff
        • Griffin includes Magazines, newspapers, internet access

In my communication to the hotel it sounds like there are no upgrades to the Griffin Club for Platinum or Gold Elites.  Using a reward stay I am able to pay for an upgrade of $105/night which when you consider the cost of a private car to/from the airport of $185 that free transportation just about covers two nights of the upgraded room.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...