71 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2016 2:16 AM by iahflyr RSS

THE TIME HAS COME FOR ACTION BY MARRIOTT

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

HAS THE TIME COME WHERE MARRIOTT SHOULD HAVE TWO LOUNGE CATEGORIES OR REVAMP THEIR ACCESS POLICIES

Why can't Marriott find a solution to this growing problem of crowded lounges.  Blog after blog on this site has suggested, complained, told "war stories" and, most importantly, have announced their defection to other brands due to this problem.

Many airlines solved this problem by having separate lounges for business and first class passengers. Granted, this solution would not work at many properties.

What would work is:

1. a reasonable package for families that would include a breakfast and evening buffet (similar to offerings in CL's)

2. stringent entrance controls as to access

3. a second lounge for top elite levels in those larger hotels that warrant the creation of same.

4. making the concierge level and lounge unavailable for additional cost to non elite MRI members.

THIS SITUATION IS NOT IMPROVING.  IT IS INCUMBENT UPON MARRIOTT TO FIND A SOLUTION AS IT WILL, IF NOT ALREADY, AFFECTING THEIR BOTTOM LINE.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: THE TIME HAS COME FOR ACTION BY MARRIOTT
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Not that I disagree with your post at all however; the affecting their bottom line might not be quite as great as it would appear since the CL is still full which means so are the rooms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

Was referring to the many defections reported by members that have switched to different programs.

It seems to me that sooner or later if one shows up at a CL at 8:00 there might be a fire Marshall at the door saying you can't enter until someone leaves..............

702rugbyref Platinum

Maybe start a poll such as Does teh current CL situation cause you:

Any issues?

Does not bother me

I don't use them anyway

Marriott needs to do something about it now or risk losing me.

misterchk

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good idea - it's your idea run with it!!!!   I'll be the first to list my concerns

702rugbyref Platinum

LOL...technically maybe it was mine to suggest but you have the ammo! Maybe  I will do it later this week once I am done with the coffee survey.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

misterchk, I'm going to take IAHFLYR's idea a little further.  Perhaps Marriott, seeing so much business, doesn't feel the need to appease top Elites anymore... Or even worst, feels the need to "shed" some top Elites?  What if they feel they generate enough income off of low-level MR members and even those that aren't even members that issues like these simply don't matter anymore? 

I think if excellent treatment of top tier Elites is what you want, then Marriott and Hilton aren't the right programs.  I hear Hyatt generally treats their Diamond Elites very well.

Platinum 28 Reviews

kharada46

IAHFLYR

If you read some of my later opinions (like the new question I posed today) you might get a clearer and more serious (please don't tell anyone I was serious) opinion of the "State Of MR".

This complaining of upgrades or lack of is dealt with in the new post as well.

702rugbyref Platinum

I support your comments. I actually will change my itinerary if it is crowded and go outside to eat or drink. Otherwise, IF I wanted the current experience, I would go back to the Choice Privilege program.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Now I'm an EU Plat and I've repeatedly stated that I've never really experienced any lounge overcrowding issues, yes, I've seen it so busy I've had to share a table at the LHR Ren (once out of 30+ stays) but that's about it. I did wonder if this was real or just hyperbole. Now I know...

I've just completed a family stay at the NYC Marriott Marquis. It's lounge is being revamped, though the size is not being increased. Of course it's well known for its strict elite plus one policy, enforced via the production of a green doorcard used only for the exec lounge with those entering monitored to ensure numbers are not exceeded. Not a great solution. As it happens during the renovations evening lounge is taking place on the 16th floor and morning breakfast on the 8th. Both of these rooms are very big and for the duration of the renovations the hotel has suspended its "elite+1" policy. Now I was there only for Sunday night (although staying both Friday and Saturday the Marquis, in common with a dozen hotels worldwide has a "let them eat points" lounge exception policy) and the evening offering, though busy was nothing unexpected. BUT... OMG(!!!) Monday morning breakfast was a HUGE affair, much bigger than the restaurant. It was BOMBED. The numbers were just incredible. As an EU Plat I've NEVER seen anything like it. Yes, OK, so elite plus lots (in my case 4 teens and the wife) clearly added many souls but taking the view that every grouping had 1 Gold/Plat still meant an enormous number of Gold/Plats on a night that was so cheap I bought it for $199 rather than use 45,000 points. How many Golds/Plats are there on a busy night? Genuinely I was astonished at the numbers!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob,

Good comment on NY Marquis, I would avoid that whole place!

Likewise, I have found, get to the CL/dining place in RI/FF, or any property, as Soon as it opens.  Get what you desire, and take it back to your room, to relax and enjoy.  Ask for a refrigerator, if not standard in the room.  You can always use it, then enjoy some of the items later.

Good luck, but something will have to be done to fix this real "Food Fight", problem, AKA also scene in famous movie!

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

You experienced what is possibly the worst CL situation in the entire U.S. - Simply the hotel (as I have suggested in numerous other postings) should be avoided.

A much better choice is the Essex House on Central Park South - easier access - although large CL it has one of the best breakfast buffets offered in a CL and only a few dollars or points more.

You are fortunate if the majority of your travelling is in Europe as the CL problems we experience here are rare (my experience) compared to the U.S.

Happy travels

greekbecky Platinum

@ brightlybob, I've never experienced overcrowding either and frankly haven't seen anyone complaining about it.  The United Club, on the other hand is a different story.

Yes, as I say in my post, lounge overcrowding is not something I'd experienced in my over 500 nights at Marriotts, until I got to the NY Marquis. I was genuinely gobsmacked, the area was massive but packed. In a normal sized lounge it would have been hopeless. Mind you my experiences of North American lounges is limited, only Niagara, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Toronto

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

As a member of this forum, I must be on record that we are a civilized (or civilised for you) group and will not tolerate using words like     GOBSMACKED

I request you refrain from using this type of language and expect a public apology.

Ahem... Now misterchk as a lawyer you can imagine I'm unused to apologising, since I've never had any need to, but lets try:

I wish to thumbly beg your pudding... Mmmmm, let's try again

May I express my insincere approximity.... Still not quite there

I'm really, really S. So.. Sor... Sorr...  So bl**dy sick of your holier than thou attitude, you pompous f****ing ars*wipe d*ckhead pr*ck.

Yes, I think that worked

Happy new year to you misterchk

(nb - is my ap*l*gy accepted?)

double nb... Don't try this type of apologising at home kids, I can only get away with it due to my English accent, and misterchk forgiving attitude

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

If you insist on using these words, it is incumbent upon you to publish the definitions. 

An un-sophisticated individual like myself, thought GOBSMACKED   is a way to prepare potatoes

Platinum 28 Reviews

greekbecky

If you have never experienced overcrowding in a CL these are the possibilities:

1. The CL's you have visited were closed and you didn't know it

2. You were probably at a Motel 6 masquerading as a Marriott

3. You are the first one through the door at 6AM and the coffee isn't ready yet

4. You haven't stayed at a major city property and visited the CL at 8AM during the week

etc etc etc

(with apologies for the sarcasm - but, really, most of us have and complain - but, as Mark Twain said about the weather " Everyone complains about the weather and no one does a darm thing about it"  he didn't say "darn" but Marriott will change the word he used if I use it)

greekbecky Platinum

Honestly, your comment is the first I've ever heard complain about this.  None of my colleagues have ever commented about overcrowding either.  Maybe the stars just didn't align in your favor, hopefully things will get better in your next visit.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with Mrchk. I frequent large cities and the lounges Monday-Thursday are corded and often have no seating if you arrive after 7am.I have seen this in LA, SF, Chicago, MIA, BOS, MSP to name a few. Since the UA reciprocity lopsided in favor of UA, the lounges seem more crowded and the staff servicing them has challenges in keeping them clean, stocked and serviced. They try really hard, but crowding makes it a challenge.

stelzer001,

Sure glad some else has the same correct impression, get rid of that silly UA lopsided deal and give us our CL back.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree.  United only gives us silver which is not much. If they gave us gold as Marriott gives them, I would be OK since I would be crowding their airline lounge..

HAha, greekbecky.

misterchk is our of our tame* Plat premiers, the super-stayers of Marriott. That semi-secret accolade is given only to the top 3% plats worldwide, and though we mere mortal plats know little of the requirements (or the secret handshake) we do know it's never achieved unless you stay more than at least 100 nights each year. On average misterchk is never more than 3 nights away from his next Marriott night... If you're anything like me, you may well ask why he bothers with a mortgage, but I guess some have to rack up absence from home to "silly o'clock" levels.

ANd, though, like you, I've barely seen concierge lounge overcrowding, I'm well aware that's because I live in the EU, where we travel far less and hence there are far fewer Gold and Plat members (the only grades of membership that get access to the concierge lounge, where the free food and booze lives). Of course standard hotel lounges (those accessible by all guests) where you pay for the food and booze, are very unlikely to suffer overcrowding...

* in misterchks case, semi tame, and as I understand it, only partially toilet trained!

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob you were told of the secret handshake in extreme confidence!  I can't believe you revealed it's existence to the general forum.

I can no longer protect you from dirty rooms, long walks from the elevator and yes, no longer can I let you know the best times to avoid overcrowding in the CL's

You have disappointed me sir!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Brightly Bob: I agree, on my trips to London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt, the CL's are not crowded, and the issues we have here on the left side of the pond are especially noted in the large cities I mentioned. I am in Europe 4-5 times a year and in large US cities 40-50 times/year, so I can only report on what I personally experience. I wish I was in UK when you hold the get togethers, but those stars don't seem to align - oh well, maybe someday, after all, I must retire in about 6 years.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I would expect that PP is not only total nights but the fares paid. I bet 100 at FF wont qualify

Presicely  reason I worded my response as I did, that PP is never achieved unless you stay at least 100 nights per year. Thats only the beginning as apart from that The only other thing we do know is that they represent the top 3% of Plat members. By what measurement? Nights? Stays? Spending? Tooth decay? As I've accidentally revealed too much - by admitting the existence of the secret handshake, which I didn't even know about - and have already sampled misterchk's wrath this weekend when I was assigned an elevator room at LHR (which I swapped without even walking into - ha misterchk I can manage without PP favours!) I'm staying out of this!

But yes, I doubt anyone staying 100 nights at FFI would get PP!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Included in the small town hotels that I have stayed at during the past 4 years (they must not be major cities since I have not experienced over-crowding) were East side Marriott (NYC)  LAX Marriott,  Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, Renaissance Baltimore Harborside, Crystal Gateway Marriott at Reagan National Airport, Copley Square Marriott in Boston, Charleston Marriott, Savannah Marriott, Montreal Marriott, and Key Bridge Marriott (less than  1/2 mile from DC.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I've stayed at the East Side Marriott in NYC and the Copley Square Marriott as well as the Renaissance in Boston near the convention center and never experienced crowded CL's in any of these properties.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

renaissanceman1944, how recently did you stay at East Side in NY?  I heard the CL had closed there, but maybe it was only temporary?  I have reservations at Copley Marriott in May and hope the CL isn't too crowded.  I've seen some CLs that are crazy busy, such as Marquis NY and Marquis San Diego.  I wonder if the new M concept will help.  I would love to see the CLs open expanded hours in the US which is what the M concept seems to be doing.

ciebert...It was last June 2015 when I was there and they had the CL then.  My NYC office is right around the corner from the hotel and I have been there for drinks since I stayed there last and I now believe they have the "M" concept lounge.  It looks pretty nice and I think that I would really enjoy the "M" Lounge.  I venture into the CL at all hours to grab a water or cup of coffee and have never had any issues with gaining entry.  Have you been at locations where it has been shut down say overnight where you can't get water or coffee?

renaissanceman1944, thanks for the info.  Some CLs I've visited are open all the time (or at least throughout the entire day and into the late evening) so you can drop by for a bottle of water or soda (i.e., Hotel Minneapolis; TPA Airport) but a lot are only open certain hours.  I think the M concept is more of the 24 hour concept which I'd really appreciate.

Platinum 28 Reviews

greekbecky  Thank you so much.  For the life of me I couldn't understand why I was the only one experiencing this problem!

AND, all this time it was caused by the the stars out of alignment.

I have a "wild" imagination so I was  quite worried that this was just a figure of my imagination now I know.

Please forgive the inconvenience of asking some advice.  Is there any astrological signs that would be more advantageous for me to travel?

Much thanks

I find the ones that have been renovated such that there are more high top chairs at a long center bar get more into the same space. Many do not want to sit at a table with four chairs and someone siting there so the newer CL seem to have more usable sitting space

Platinum 28 Reviews

jerryl

Have recently experienced remolding at two hotels where they are attempting to correct the problem.

In both cases the only negative was the properties necessity to move the CL to a different floor or the banquet area.That inconvenience is outweighed by the comfort of the new facilities.

Evidently some at corporate have gotten the message.

Misterchk I went to the Marriott near Raleigh airport and it had been renovated and didn't seem as crowded as it was before . By the way it is a great CL and very friendly

boudreausean Platinum

That's probably on a whole other thread, but I absolutely agree with you about the UA lounges. Worst offender is the one at FLL (Fort Lauderdale) - just forget about it, stay at the beach longer or even just nap in your rental car, lol.

During the past two years, I've stayed about 3 dozen nights with CL access.  During that time, not one CL has been overcrowded and I've seen only two examples of bad behavior.

I don't know where this problem is so severe, but it has not been in Baltimore, Brooklyn, Montreal, Savannah, Charleston, Paris, or Amsterdam!

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist

Firstly I'm sure you can appreciate there is a problem in many hotels by the comments and complaints posted.

Obviously this doesn't occur all hours at all properties.

I have visited a CL at 7AM and it is the most delightful environment one could ask for.  Return the same morning at 8:30 and you would be shocked at the difference.

You will also find that the properties that truly are in commercial areas where families will not be interested in won't have these problems as well.

It's really a numbers game.  I'm sure United Air is wondering why there are so many more Elite members screaming for upgrades than last year - on the other side of the coin you have all the UA Elite fighting for a seat in the CL.

The number of my overnights match yours and my experience has really been quite different and at times frustrating.

Good travels,

misterchk,  I assume we have different travel patterns even though we have similar night counts.  Obviously, there must be a problem for some guests, or this thread would have been ignored.

Marriott should act where there is a problem and leave well enough alone at those properties where there is none.

Perhaps, Marriott should expand some of the CLs to accommodate larger crowds and enforce some sort of behavior standards.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

misterchk.

Good evening!  Perhaps the popularity of the CL has to do with it's cost.....  Although I have to say I have not experienced the over-crowding you have, I have seen a few busy lounges.  More often than not, I find myself one of a very few in the lounge....

For my money, I wish Marriott would dedicate a lounge exclusively for PP's.

shoeman

Platinum 28 Reviews

shoeman1000

This discussion was started 6 months ago and it has traveled in many directions.  And, ofcourse was begun prior to the announced merger.

My original suggestion was the overcrowding was (and I don't think this is a contention) not due to too many elites but too many family members (rules are max 2 per room) using the CL to feed their children prior to turning them over to a baby sitter. And, the problem could be handled if the hotel enforced the rules or with mild policing (which now is done at many properties due to this problem)

Now the picture has changed due to the pending merger and the United agreement.

The overcrowding evidently is based on city and the time you utilize the CL.

On those days when I have an early flight I have the place to myself at 6:30A.  Come back at 8 and the same empty CL has turned into a "zoo".

This whole topic is sort of updated by a discussion I started today.

greekbecky Platinum

phctourist wrote:

During the past two years, I've stayed about 3 dozen nights with CL access.  During that time, not one CL has been overcrowded and I've seen only two examples of bad behavior.

I don't know where this problem is so severe, but it has not been in Baltimore, Brooklyn, Montreal, Savannah, Charleston, Paris, or Amsterdam!

I with you, phctourist...I've been to numerous clubs across the globe...plenty of seats to choose from.  I find the lounges comfortable and often take my laptop to the lounge to work instead of being locked up in the hotel room. 

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
          greekbecky Platinum

Wow, that's pretty rude.  So let me get this straight, you complain endlessly about how full the lounges are and it bothers you when I make just two comments of a different opinion?  I still don't agree with you and many others have commented they don't either and no, we will not start a new thread as to not infect your precious post.  There is certainly nothing constructive in constant bitching and then go on to criticize others.  To insult myself and anyone that doesn't agree with you is counterproductive to the Marriott Insiders forum.  With that said, let me be perfectly clear, I will comment when, where and how often I wish, so deal with it.  You may want to familiarize suggest yourself with the rules of conduct for this site.

WOW.....................................WOW..................................that was something.

greekbecky Platinum

Yep, unfortunate, but appropriate.  Everyone is has a right to an opinion.

I'm with misterchk in all aspects here, including, but not limited to the comments re Essex House vs. Marquis NY.  I actually suggested to the Hotel Minneapolis that they consider devoting a particular floor solely to business travelers or some such thing.  I said this after standing in line to check in behind a stick thin, tattooed, toothless (meth mouth?) strung out couple toting suitcases of beer and bottles of various booze on the valet cart.  I bribed the front desk to put me as far away from them as possible.  I stay there because the the Marriott City Center Minneapolis is full of sports fans, partakers of escort services, and rowdy drunks (or am I being redundant?) who commandeer the CL and make it into a frat house of sorts.  The Hotel Minneapolis is a bit off the beaten path and has more of a business-oriented clientele.  90% of my traveling is business solo, so if Marriott would consider creating a brand geared specifically toward business travelers, I'd be all over that (and I am NOT talking about CY which has some odd schizophrenic "business"/NFL identity, neither of which make much sense).  I mean a FS hotel with business amenities.  greekbecky, where specifically do you travel?  Please let us know so we can book those hotels! 

ramoneur Platinum

my first reaction was: " how will you identify business travellers"

but then I read more...

...problem is, we/they need an "objective qualifying variable" (like: "booked a room at executive level or higher", "only wears Chanel no. 5", "wears glasses");

I think it is impossible, because you always get exceptions to the rule

for example, I already sometimes have the feeling I get looked down upon when I visit a lounge in jeans and sneakers on a free Sunday;

if they'd have a clear dress code, I would adhere to it, but they don't

and also, looks are not a dependable qualifying identifier;

and some mid to high level mafiosi look very "businessy" in their sharp suits ;-)

greekbecky Platinum

My normal domestic travel includes SFO, Boston, Seattle, Atlanta, San Diego, Texas and internationally its usually Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, France, Singapore, Australia, Germany, Italy, Greece, London, Scotland, Thailand and Philippines for the most part.

ramoneur Platinum

btw: we seem to have some overcrowding at the European borders as well...

the time has come for action by the EU as well

but this will never happen; Kissinger was right: whom should we call?

(sorry for the off-topic)

Platinum 28 Reviews

It's so refreshing to have someone post a comment without telling me and many others that "there is no crowding problem"!!!

Well to your comments and my opinion -

I, for one, never suggested that the lounges be divided between "Business Travelers" and "Pleasure Travelers" - also, no hotel in their right mind would attempt to divide guests by that criteria.

What I was proposing (which I guarantee you "ain't" gonna happen) is that there be different lounges - or separate areas that would be "platinum: "no persons under 18 " areas in the larger CL's - it is the larger CL's where parents are bringing their "lil darlins" to run up and down the room dropping food where they step.

cmeyer Platinum

Hi,

I've been to the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai last year. They do in fact have a separate area in their lounge (for working) where no children are allowed.

Platinum 28 Reviews

cmeyer  A warm welcome to a new voice

Thanks for the info - they have an advantage as the country is far from a democracy - but older folks need space too!

Maybe the success of the Dubai lounge will be heard at Marriott headquarters.

Again, welcome aboard.

misterchk, how about a business lounge as opposed to the regular CL?  And I don't mean a place with only a copier and computer.  I guess that is what you were saying:  2 classes of CLs.  Like the airlines, they could be business class and something else ....maybe tourist class?  Or better yet, a family lounge for the under 18 set and a CL for adults.  The MCVI have kids' clubs and teen dens, so why not?  Also, I didn't realize hotels had minds!

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert What we are accomplishing is one of the oldest forms of creating ideas and solutions:  BRAINSTORMING

Throughout my business career (which I sadly admit is approaching 50 years) when staff sat down at a table and presented ideas and views, more times than not a successful course was created.

Now to the topic - I think a combination of our ideas and opinions have brought this into focus - I just wish Marriott is listening.

I don't believe the hotels would be open to a "business" lounge, but the thoughts of an adult lounge would create a "de facto" business lounge that would be occupied by:  1. business travelers and 2. those not traveling with children.  The second group are usually older and more sensitive to not disrupting their surroundings.

Disney does this quite well - both at their resorts and cruise ships.  When an adult goes through the gate on their cruise ships (personal experience) to the sacred adult area with pool, bar and Jacuzzis you think you actually changed ships.

As a last note - hotels having minds is only a rumor

Some of the hotels claim to have ghosts (i.e. the Mayflower) so why not minds? 

Platinum 28 Reviews

When did I ever claim there were no ghosts?   It is "minds"  (read intelligence) that is missing.

Should we send the management teams to Oz?

misterchk, I nominate you to serve as the future resident Essex House ghost once you pass on to that great check in desk in the Sky.  Didn't we have you dying in that hotel in a prior post?  Or maybe I was the one dying there?  Anyway, I can think of worse places to haunt.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Would be a wonderful place to be in my afterlife - and the CL is open on weekends

I have to honestly say that I have never experienced any overcrowding at the CL and cannot recall ever seeing children there.  Most of the time it's me, the airline crews and other business travelers.  This includes weekends on personal travel as well.  I find the lounges relaxing and a great place to just unwind after a tough day on the road and enjoy a couple of glasses of wine and most times some great conversation with fellow business travelers.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Ren

I agree!  perhaps the most over-crowded properties have the most over-crowded CL's.  Generally, I find them busier at breakfast than at cocktail-dinner hour, but no busier than breakfast at an Embassy Suite or at a Hilton Lounge.  Let's face it, it's free stuff.  Just wait til the Dems give away free State College tuition.  Those place will be packed and the quality of their services will go down the tube.  But I digress......

I suspect as you said the over crowding is very localized vs widespread. I have not had a problem in quite  some time finding a seat in any lounge

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Me neither.  Admittedly I am a leisure traveller, not business.  But I find if I go to the lounge after the business people have left to go to work, which is still early enough - no problem.  Equally, I never experience a problem in the evenings, and I don't time that at all.

AS I said earlier, I've only experienced lounge crowding once, when at the Ren LHR where i had to share a table, but thats only once in over 30 stays there. Recently I experienced it a second time, in Brussels. Again I had to share a table but a few came in after me and were standing as they drank their free beer.

greekbecky Platinum

Thank you, that's a refreshing comment to hear you find overcrowding issues few and far between...most of us feel the same way.

greekbecky Platinum

I agree, it really does appear that most of us do not have issues with overcrowding in the CLs.  I love to sit in the CL and work, its so quiet and comfortable.  I find most folks really respect the solitude of the CL.

greekbecky Platinum

Agreed, never been a problem for me either.

greekbecky Platinum

I agree with you and so many of us do too.  I think the CLs are wonderfully comfortable and not crowded in the least.  I don't think I've ever seen kids in there either.