41 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2016 2:25 PM by pluto77 RSS

“Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!”

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Who knew???  This famous line from Mel Brooks'  "Blazing Saddles" actually is a misquote from a misquote that became a very famous quote on it's own. It all started with the 1927 publication of "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and it started like this:

“Badges, to g**-d****d h*** with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you g**-d****d c****n and c****’ tu madre!”

It evolved from there to Mel Brooks and his modern classic..

Oh well, speaking of Badges.... In the last 12 months the MR site started this Badge thing. I was surprised to see that my recent stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel,  stuffed the Renaissance Badge in my account. You need to stay twice at a brand to score a Badge. This now makes eight brand badges for yours truly.

JW

Renaissance

Marriott

CY

SHS

FFI

Res Inn

TPS

I should add the Autograph Collection and possibly Gaylord Badges before the end of the year.. Okay, MR Insiders, show us your stinkin' badges!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portsmouth, Virginia, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
  • Re: “Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!”
    schlechtman Platinum

Just 5 Brand badges for now...

Ritz

Renaissance

Residence

Fairfield

Courtyard

also have...

PP member badge

5 brand explorer

100 night badge

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Here's what I have so far painedplatinum.

badges3.png

6 brand badges

Renaissance

Marriott

Courtyard

Springhill Suites

Residence Inn

TownePlace Suites

5-brand badge

10-brand badge (See Brand explorer badges on how I picked up this one).

I will collect the Fairfield Inn badge in October. (I haven't exactly been avoiding FFI, but when other options are available, why choose FFI?).

I have 1 stay at a JW and an Autograph property and will add Gaylord in the next few months putting me halfway to earning those badges (My upcoming Autograph and VC stays in Hawaii are on points so they won't count).

Plans for the first half of 2016 include a 2nd Gaylord stay (earning that badge) and a (paid) Vacation Club stay. I'm also looking at AC, and Ritz (or a 2nd JW stay) but both are very tentative right now.

Still no plans to stay at Edition. With that exception, I may have earned (or be halfway to earning) all the other brand badges currently available. Not bad.

Message was edited by: bejacob

702rugbyref Platinum

I have 8...going to be awhile before I can build on it..AC when in Europe this fall

joshm Member

Good stuff here!

Awesome topic to start.

I'm on hot your heels, painedplatinum. This week, I'll add the FFI badge and make my first Gaylord (Texan) stay since badging began. I'll pick up the Autograph badge (total of 8 brand badges) and make both a RC and VC stay in December. By year end I'll be halfway to the JW, G, RC, and VC badges, with the expectation of earning a couple of these in 2016.

Surprisingly, I haven't gone out of my way to get any of them. If I hadn't found great rates (under $150) at both Gaylord and RC, I wouldn't have bothered. A stay at any Edition property still looks out of reach for the foreseeable future.

How's your "stinking badge" total looking now?

bejacob,

I'm still sitting on 8 brand badges but the Autograph badge is as good as gold. I'll add that in 6 weeks. It now looks like the Gaylord badge is not going to happen any time soon. The AC badge is looking good for the 1st quarter of '16

As planned, I added the FI badge, my 7th brand badge. Also made a Gaylord stay putting me halfway to completing that one. The Autograph badge will be a done deal in December. After that, who knows? With 1 stay at 4 brands (JW, RC, G, VC) by year end, I'm not sure which one(s) I will complete in 2016.

Looks like you'll keep your modest lead, painedplatinum despite my best half-hearted efforts to overtake you.

Update: Earned the Autograph badge this past week bringing the total number of brand badges to 8.

Platinum 28 Reviews

bejacob

You have another badge that you haven't mentioned. 

You have agreed with some of my postings one time too many and have earned the "Trouble Maker's" badge.

Wear it proudly Mr. J

mdphillips69 Platinum 9 Reviews

13 Total:

Platinum Badge

8 Brand badges:  Autograph, Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites + halfway to badges for JW Marriott, Gaylord and Marriott Vacation Club

5 & 10 Brand Explorer badges

Good Citizen Badge

Refer A Friend Badge

coming up on 100 night Road Warrior badge soon

With a second paid stay at a VC property, I just added a new brand badge and 25 MR points (whoop, whoop ).

VC.PNG

Brings the total to 9 brands: AU, R, M, CY, SH, FI, RI, T, and VC.

Plan to grab the AC and G badges in March. JW will follow in Sept. That just leaves RC and ED. If all goes as planned, I'll have one of the two stays needed for each of those in a few months.

Okay painedplatinum, give us your update. Are you still slightly ahead or have I caught up?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Actually I did know that and it made Blazing Saddles even funnier.  Incidentally, I recently saw a Mel Brooks Special on TV (HBO, I think) and he talked about the censor's reaction to the movie.  He wanted to take out the campfire f***ing scene, Mongo slugging the horse, every use of the "N" word, and other scenes.  Mel Brooks said that all that was left was 20 minutes and no laughs, so Brooks fought to restore the movie and won. He said, that today, he would have lost.

BTW work is beginning on a sequel to Spaceballs, based upon the new Starwars movie!

browncrew Gold 14 Reviews

I've stayed over 100 nights and haven't received that badge yet.

Platinum

I sold 300 boxes of thin mints and have also not rec'd a badge...oh wait - that can't be right?

yyc Platinum

I have 198 nights and haven't received the badge.

I have 5 different brand loyalties. Its taking a lot longer than I thought it was going to. I am 'stuck' near airports where I travel and a lot of times its the FFI or CY or RI where I stay.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HOhum, I only signed up last year so all I've managed is the Marriott and Renaissance badges. I don't think I'm even on my way to any others!

So, that's, um, er... 2

Platinum

OK, so I have over 1300 lifetime nights and only have the 100 night badge. Anyone else in a similar situation? I sent a message to Marriott tonight and will see how they respond.

Only activity posted after opting in to the badges count. The badges started around August 2014. Any nights stayed before then won't count (at least as far as the badges go).

Just collected the Gaylord brand badge. I hadn't expected to earn it until a stay in late March. Through a combination of factors, I ended up at the Gaylord Texan again and now that the stay has posted, the badge is mine.

My total is now up to 10 brand badges with the AC badge on it's way by the end of March and the JW in September. That leaves only two to go. Not sure the 50 bonus points makes it worth staying once at RC and twice at Edition.

AC brand badge showed up today after my 2nd stay at the AC Cincinnati/West Chester. That means my total goes up to 11.

badges.PNG

By this time next month, I'll have 1 stay at each of the three remaining brands. Already have a stay at JW booked for September (I think there's some sort of Insider thingy going on at the JW in Houston ). Not sure when a second RC or ED stay might happen. Seems like a lot of effort to earn a badge and 25 points.

Now, how about that Delta badge that has been mentioned? No plans to stay there at the moment, but I need something new to strive for.

This deserves special recognition!!! Only a true Marriott Nut could accumulate this many badges!!  Eleven Badges should trump the new Member Retail Rate and get you a nice discount..maybe even a shoehorn. Well done bejacob

So as I understand it your stay at TIPPLE will gain you that 12th badge and another 25 points. Wow, 12 badges that's like a hole-in-one isn't it? So I'm guessing the drinks in the JW bar are on bejacob as he celebrates his dirty dozen badges and the 300 point-haul gained! Mines a double bejacob, just keep it filled up, eh

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

There should be a special badge for attending tipple . By the way what is our current committment number . Seems like a lot are attending

The current count is 19, but that includes a couple who have indicated theyve reserved a room on a cancellable rate as they aren't sure, there's also 4 or 5 who have indicated they'll be trying to make it but haven't reserved a room, so are more doubtful. Lastly theres a ginabeana who has given no indication at all, but being the younger sister of the rock royalty that is our newly crowned featured insider SeaTexan may turn up to share in her sisters adoration.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I totally agree with painedplatinum and brightlybob, this is quite an accomplishment, and if there is anyone who can amass all of these badges, it's our good man bejacob, hands down.  I vote for you to get that shoe horn, and also for you to buy a round.   I'll have a Sauvignon Blanc, s'il te plaît.

brightlybob is correct that the JW badge will be number 12 (unless I somehow squeezed in an RC stay before September).

Somehow I thought everyone was going to buy ME a drink to celebrate, not the other way around. Guess it's time to look into that second mortgage.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

At work, when someone gets a promotion or has a birthday, it's tradition for them to bring in food, in some fashion or another. A little "back assward", I admit, but there it is (voilà!)

That was always my experience, pluto77 when I was working in a normal legal office it was the birthday boy or girl who bought cream cakes for everyone. Likewise upon passing some major exam you were expected to stand a round after work. That could be a very pricey pass!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Throughout my seventy five years, brightlybob, it has been the birthday boy or girl or the person who is being otherwise celebrated that gets treated to cake, drinks, lunch, etc.  We also give people presents and a party, on his or her birthday.  We also sing to them, (happy birthday, etc.) which may be the price that they pay for being celebrated.

The only major exception to this rule, that I can think of, is when someone achieves a "hole in one" in golf.  That person is expected to buy a round of drinks for everyone.

BTW, it appears that pluto77 has outwitted the censors with her characterization of this situation.  I didn't think that "voilà!" is allowed on this site..

Nner, phctourist, your family does the buying of presents, giving of cakes and paying for lunch 'cos they lurve you!

All your co-workers want is free cake and booze, or at least that's the case here in England!

All these rules are making me reconsider my attendance in Houston as I'm no longer sure I can afford it.

Perhaps if you forward me an official copy of the T&C on this subject, we might be able to come to some sort of agreement otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to pay for your own drinks.

seatexan Platinum

I'll buy you a drink bejacob!