61 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2015 8:49 PM by eb5147 RSS

MRI Ohana

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

With the loss of nuhusker and alrenaissance, and all the beautiful memories the community has shared, it got me thinking... MRI isn't so much a community as it is a family.  Not blood family of course, but as we say in Hawaii, our "hanai" or adopted ohana.  In a place where everyone is "aunty" or "uncle," family is much more than one's bloodline, but is your true friends.  While many of haven't met in-person before, many of us have and have even become life friends.  Even for those that don't really come around too often anymore, like everyone's favorite trouble-making uncle erc, the famous jetsetter jerrycoin and our favorite cruise expert (who actually is a cruise agent now) trippin', we all seem to feel a connection and miss them in their absence. 

So, by local definition, you are all my Ohana.  And I thank you all for providing great tips, guidance in life, and of course, great laughs over the years, and hope that our Ohana will continue to grow and flourish.  And remember,  growing pains like the great Spam Wars, are part of the experience!  So let's enjoy the ride and continue to make Insiders one of the best places to be on the web! 

And now I'm done with all the mushy, feel discussions.  What do you say we get back to our discussion on IATA codes IAHFLYR, ks77, pluto77, misterchk, clebert and 702rugbyref!  How's about that flight from Fresno to Fukuoka??  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: MRI Ohana
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Before today if I wanted to bring tears to my eyes I would reach for a movie disc of "Miracle on 34th St." or "ET", view the last five minutes of either and be crying instantly.

I didn't expect to have a tear or two in my eyes this morning when reading kharada46 passage  placed above.

Thank you for including me in this "family" circle.

Misterchk

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've had tears in my eyes after learning of nuhusker so why stop now.

misterchk, I'm honored to have you in my hanai family.

By the way, if you want a new movie to give you a good cry, check out Pixar's Inside Out.  Probably the best, but tear wrenching movie I've seen in years.  

Platinum 28 Reviews

kharada46  Thank you for the kind wordsl

Standing Ovations my young ohana!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

He might be young, but it has always been a compliment when you say an individual has an "old soul".

kharada46    has that "Old Soul" !!

Thanks IAHFLYR!  My TX ohana   Actually, my college buddy relocated to Austin not too long ago, so got two family members in TX. 

And thank you misterchk.  I am an old soul... not your typical Gen Y! haha

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The specified item was not found.,

Hey "Ohana buddy"!  Thank-you for the kind words!

Keeping my return to Hawaii in mind, thanks to you, and there are other stops, "Along the way", to say thank-you to some other wonderful people!

Aloha for now!

jerrycoin is going to go on a worldwide Insiders meet & greet tour?  You are our official jetsetting international man of mystery!  But you prefer wine and other medicinals to beer right? 

Hoping to see you in the islands soon!  I'm fairly certain no one uses the MO version of a/c you shared with me a while ago

kharada46,

Yes, If I have one last wish, it is to take that World Tour, and buy other MRI's a beer!  Personally, this was my last beer, in Montmartre, Paris, a year ago.  I actually had a hard time finishing it, sad, I used to enjoy Bud Light so much, but can't handle beer anymore.IMG_1643.jpg

Now, I am into champaign, if you can take your bride to Epernay, France.  You would enjoy saying hello to Dom P.!

IMG_4089.JPG

You were a great help in Rome, and I am "Eternally" appreciative of your help!

BTW, what does A/C mean?  MO ?  You know your bride and you are always welcome to a Mid-Wester visit to STL!

Location Brand Hotel
        Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel

HAH!  Love the puns!  Champagne is so much better than beer anyway...  

Ah, so, Missouri style air conditioning.  Well, a certain type of people that make their air conditioning out of a cooler, tubing and a fan lol

kharada46,

Thanks for the update on MO/AC!

I've got mine!

One of these jerrycoin??

IMG_9146.jpg

Now that is some funny stuff there.....are you sure you are not from Missouri kharada46?

IAHFLYR, I'm sure!  I believe Mr. Coin sent us an e-mal a while ago with something very similar to this on it.  I had to google the image

702rugbyref Platinum

I have seen this video and so want to do this. Very easy it seems and I know my Labrador will love it!

kharada46,

How did you get a photo from my dining room?

I have one of these in every room.  You will enjoy the comfort when your Bride and you make it to our place in STL!

We do spend a lot of time, when the weather gets over 100 degrees at the local FF.  We can take our own A/C with us, and it really makes us "Feel at home"!!

One of these days jerrycoin, we'll get there! 

I sure wish we had an affordable FF or something in HNL to retreat to in our miserably hot & humid summers!  I'm not paying $200-400/night for a old CY + $30/night parking

Platinum 28 Reviews

I have now had a few minutes to let all this "sink in". 

My silent thoughts  (at 5:38AM on the "left coast")  has me wondering how many of us will agree (one day in the not too distant future) fly to the Islands and take our friend to dinner.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

kharada46 Your kind words are so thoughtful and touching. The camaraderie from this community is magnificent and the Hawaiian term ohana sums it up beautifully. By honoring the members who are no longer with us goes to shows that this is a tight community who truly values one another.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

This brought tears to my eyes, kharada46. I remember nuhusker from when I first joined Insiders. Insiders is such a  very special place, because of all of you wonderful people.

Thank you carat & melissaerb.  Insiders is a very special place filled with amazing people... and great community leaders

702rugbyref Platinum

copy that

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Went from a lump in my throat to roll on the floor. laugh out loud in just one short paragraph.  Made my day.  Well done, Ohana-san!

pluto77, glad to help

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

You are so sweet Kyle!  Made my day as well.  This is our crazy busy season...but....I WILL do my best to get back on here.  Just remind me!

Hi to all 

Mary

Hey trippin'!  Glad to see you back on Insiders!  Hope we'll see more of you when the busy season settles down

You best show your face here more often in the future.....future is NOW!!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Wwhat happened to nuhusker?

clebert, nuhusker lost the battle with cancer. 

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I was wondering the same thing.  I've been so busy traveling and unable to get my e-mails on the computer that my husband has set up for himself or even to sign in when I could get the mail on my computer or the A-i-1.

I'm so sorry to hear about nuhusker and alrenaissance.  That brings more than a tear to my eye for both.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Over the past years, I have read numerous post by both alrenaissance and nuhusker. It is sad news indeed to hear of their passing. My condolences to their family and friends. Kharada you created a very thoughtful opening to this thread.  

Ok fella's,  What is that cooler air conditioning thing and how did you make it.  Is there ice in there?  I have my central air on as it's 95 today...but I hate to run it.  I have a big house and it sucks it up.  lol.

Wait...what happened to al and nuhusker???

Mary

702rugbyref Platinum

Ice works well but if you put a little water over the ice so that the air actually will get colder with the water included than just ice.

702rugbyref, sounds like you've actually made one or more of these

Sadly trippin' they have both passed away.  Don't know much about Al, but Steve had a strong fight against cancer that had run into a couple of places.

IAHFLYR, from what I understand, Al fell and hit his head.  He went to bed that night not thinking anything of it, but later discovered that he had cranial bleeding.  By the time he figured it out, however, the brain damage was too severe and there was nothing that could be done.  He passed not too long after making it too the hospital.  His family stated on his Facebook that all of his organs were donated. 

PS:  Big house means I can have company!  Beautiful northern Michigan in summer or winter!

Very nice post.  By the way, I just got off a flight from PIE.  Sadly, no baked goods were served en route (thanks for nothing, Allegiant)!

You're lucky to reach your destination flying Allegiant clebert 

Never fly them to Hawaii unless you want to get stranded

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is what I have heard!  I thought about using it for HNL because we bring the keiki along, and airfare gets expensive.  Spouse hates Allegiant and says that today's flight was our last no matter how expensive the other carriers are  

clebert, fly Hawaiian, you won't regret it!  They often have lower fares than the legacies and Virgin's soon to start service

702rugbyref Platinum

Ughhh...Allegiant...

702rugbyref, you sound experienced in the low-cost ways of Allegiant.  They are right up there with Advantage car rental which is an experience best avoided by all but the most intrepid adventurers

702rugbyref Platinum

Unfortunately  they have been in the news a lot over the past couple weeks with almost running out of fuel in ND, blown engine and emergency landing back here in Vegas last week and another I think out east two days ago. I have a friend who works Air traffic here in LAS and even though I have never flown with them, he has advised they have considerable safety issues. So I have chosen not to fly with them as my safety is more important than saving a few dollars.

Allegiant is based here in LAS and they are on the news constantly with a pilots dispute as well.

702rugbyref, I did hear about the ND incident.  And we had an Allegiant flight booked over Easter but got an email about a pending pilot strike (which didn't happen), so we canceled and rebooked on AA.  Also, I talked to a front desk guy at TownePlace Suites St. Pete (right by PIE) who told me he worked two jobs to make enough to support his family:  one with Allegiant and one with Marriott.  Ugh.  Poor guy.  They must not pay well.  He was working the night shift at the hotel, then went directly to PIE to work the gate/check in for Allegiant.  At least he was not flying the plane

702rugbyref Platinum

thankfully! I guess since the pilots problems, management has taken over flying several routes and have been insisting on minimal fuel loads in order to save money - playing very close to the safety line. The ND incident, the flight had 5 minutes of fuel left on board!

This is really disgusting as I recall reading not too long ago that Allegiant is one of the most profitable airlines.  They really could afford to put adequate fuel in the planes (i.e., comply with FAA regs) and pay their pilots a decent wage.

Five minutes of fuel before what, when they have to land before cutting into their reserve fuel or five minutes until fuel exhaustion.?  There is the question I have yet to know the answer to or have seen it published anywhere.  There are fuel requirements and if they are repeatedly not followed fines would be issued and then the FAA would shut down the operation if it wasn't corrected. 

Here is one the last Air Traffic Bulletins on fuel that I remember getting before I retired from ATC.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/atb2012-1.pdf

Fuel issues are nothing to play around with and as a pilot you must constantly monitor your fuel.  When I depart I know my fuel load and how far it will take me before I need to land and land with enough fuel to fly another 45 minutes even though it is not a requirement when flying under visual flight rules.  The 45 minute IFR requirement is that you must have that much fuel when you get to your alternate airport if one is required which on the Allegiant was probably not required due to good weather at Fargo.  If you actually land a plane with five minutes of fuel you are an IDIOT and should be fired from your job.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I read that the pilot actually called "bingo fuel" to the tower.

Yep, I did read that however; bingo fuel to many ATC kids these days would mean absolutely nothing.  In a situation such as what they indicated they were in it would have been nice to hear them say "Emergency Fuel".  But I guess when you put yourself into that situation if they truly had little if any fuel in the tanks it explains how they got to that point in my mind.

We should have this discussion over at Av Geeks and let the Ohana continue. my bad.

702rugbyref Platinum

Either way, Allegiant flew to a closed airport (due to the Blue Angels) and did not have sufficient fuel on board to make their alternative...all knowingly PRIOR to their departure from Vegas...at least that is how it has been reported. I don't care about semantics about BINGO but ultimately the two executives who knowingly made these decisions put corporate decisions ahead of public safety and LUCKILY a good ending for the passengers.

They allegedly departed LAS with enough gas to make the destination and had been in holding with MSP Center due to the BA practice.  The two folks driving the airplane as well as a dispatcher could easily have gone to another airport well before they got into a "bingo fuel" situation.  It's almost as if they were playing chicken with the airport operator to reopen the field for them to land and they lost making the news. 

All accidents have a chain of events that lead up to the time of the accident, thankfully the chain was broken on this event which should never have happened from the start.

702rugbyref Platinum

The air traffic report said Bingo...so I would assume it is the time to land under control or let gravity take over.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

And if they had calculated wrongly on the plane or on the ground?  That's too close for a few dollars.

The other problem with the low fueling might be no credit and cash basis only.  Get that plane up and it will pay for another plane and the finish of that trip?

I used to be a control clerk for Allied Aviational Fueling.  It was mostly just dividing the fuel to make it look good on paper after the actual plane usage was calculated for the day, since all the airlines paid for whatever was billed and always had enough for their planes.  But if an airline didn't have credit, I could see a problem.

Boy that's even worst than I thought!  Thanks for the local insight 702rugbyref!

702rugbyref Platinum

They just had another issue yesterday but I forget what it was. I will look for it.

702rugbyref Platinum

you are welcome. Interestingly, my air traffic friend is going to be flying with them as a 'review' as encouraged by their office I guess. His wife is even going with him to the central California coast and she is more worried than he is currently although he says he none too happy about it.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Fleet age Allegiant Air | Airfleets aviation

Strictly basing safety on age isn't a proper way to evaluate an airline's safety record, but given the majority of their fleet is the MD-80 series, and has an avg age of 25.6 for that aircraft, that means some must be 30 years old. If AA has a 30 year old plane, I feel safe because I know their maintenance is excellent. Allegiant I highly doubt has the maintenance capabilities and rigorous overhauls that the legacy carriers do. Just my opinion though.

702rugbyref Platinum

It is my understanding and talking with AA pilots who fly MD 80s, they love flying them. I know I had to make an emergency landing at SEATAC about three weeks after they were shut down by the FAA back in the early 2000s (after the crash off California - I think a jack-screw issue). Pilot said -engine warning light came on and we did a big loop to go back. Upon landing he then advised 'it's kinda like your engine warning light in you car.' REALLY?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...