29 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2015 1:53 AM by melissaerb RSS

MRI Community Loses a Loyal Member

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It is with profound sadness that I share with the MRI community the passing of one of our longtime and loyal members, nuhusker.  Steve had been courageously battling cancer for about 18 months, and held out much faith and hope to conquer this relentless adversary.  He had much to live for, a wife whom he treasured, children he was very proud of and with each passing year, a growing flock of grandchildren.  Anadyr wrote that "he had had the swings that many cancer patients have between hope and despair.  He was always optimistic, though realistic about his chances."  He was prayed for by many and was supported and cared for by his wife Martha and his family.

Steve was a longtime Marriott loyalist whom a number of us came to know better outside of the MRI community.  I had the privilege to share many a written conversation with him regarding military days, life, family, faith and politics.  He was a person of high character and esteemed by many.  He served in the military as a USAF security policeman who loved his country and was a tireless visitor to our wounded warriors at Walter Reed Hospital in Bethesda and other VA locations.  He was honored by G. W. Bush for his dedication to these American heroes wounded in battle.  After his military retirement, he served as the Executive Director of the South Iowa Area Crime Commission.  He loved golf, loved travel, especially to see family, was an avid fan of the Nebraska Cornhuskers and love Marriott Rewards.  He was a great family man and loved the Lord Jesus.  He will be missed by many.

Please feel free to share your thoughts here regarding our good fellow and friend, nuhusker.

Obituaries: Stephen McCoy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
  • Re: MRI Community Loses a Loyal Member
    joshm Member

Words cannot describe the level of appreciation we have for you in taking the time to share this news, pluto77.

nuhusker was one of the first members of the community that I interacted with upon joining Insiders. Understanding, compassionate, and sharing are three ways I would describe our interactions. From questions or concerns to general conversation about his military experience, he was a large piece of a great welcoming party to this forum for me. He often knew a great deal more about whatever we spoke about, so I constantly found myself learning from him.

I can only imagine how this loss impacts the members of this community, as a number of you were closer to him than a message exchange or chat on this site. He represented the best of this community, and was a huge reason why this forum is unlike any other.

He was clearly a fighter. But, at long last, he has found peace, and for that, I am thankful.

Wishing the community the best as this news spreads.

-Josh

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

pluto77, that's sad news, but thanks for sharing!

For those who never crossed paths with him, this might be of interest: The specified item was not found.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

pluto77,

Thank you for your touching tribute to nuhusker.  I did not know him personally, but by sharing your thoughts with us you made his life and his passing personal to me & I feel many other MRIs.  I am sending thoughts and prayers to his family & friends today.  I am also holding my family & friends a little closer today. 

Time to stop and reflect on one of my favorite poem's lines:  "Oh normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are."

Thanks again.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you Pluto77 for sharing this sad news. Like joshm, I always appreciated what nuhusker had to say on MI.  I pray for him & his family.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for this posting pluto77 and your inspired words for our fellow Insider and friend.  He will be truly missed, but certainly not forgotten.

I will miss you, nuhusker, and will always remember you on these pages.  Rest in peace my dear friend.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I didn't interact a great deal with nuhusker, but I do recall that he loved to combine golf with his travels. In one of my favorite posts he shared his collection of golf balls from military golf courses where he had played (Re: What is your travel goal?).

Like many members of this community, when I saw a post by nuhusker, I knew it would be worth reading. He and his wonderful contributions will be missed.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks for letting us know and letting us know about him.  I remember that he let me know that I could get a Marriott hotel for $60 that I took advantage of.  He paid visits to veterans and invited others to do so as well.  Sad that he is gone!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Good guy who LOVED BBQ!  He will be missed.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Thank you, pluto77 for sharing this with us.  Good news or bad, like it or not, we are all a  family here on MRI.  Nuhusker is no longer suffering, although his family and friends will be at his loss.  He was one of my first MRI interactions here on the site; a class act for sure.  And a veteran for which I am always thankful of someone's service.  My prayers and thoughts are with his loved ones at this time.  -Sledchick

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

So very sorry to hear this sad news.  Thank you for letting us know, Pluto.

Prayers for nuhusker and his family.

702rugbyref Platinum

Expressing condolences

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto77,

That is a wonderful remembrance and notification of a Steve!

He was a real patriot, and fine human, that was always positive about MRI folks and left an inspiring message of loyalty.

We only had a couple of "Get togethers", but they were exceptional events.  I should say, that my similar experiences with other MRI's were also personally rewarding.

IMG_2653.JPG

Steve was a "Class Act", and many a Marriott knew of his kindness, and legacy!

IMG_1834.JPG

He was well liked at Marriott properties in Phoenix.  Generous, and really knew how to share his kindness, even though he had never met my wife!

RIP, Steve!  You were so special to "All you Shared Life With"!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AS a relative newcomer to this community, having only started posting last year, I didn't see many of nuhusker posts, but definitely formed the opinion that he was a knowledgable long termer here.

Respects and and condolances to his family...

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Sad news indeed.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks for sharing, pluto77nuhusker was a great contributor and his being away from MRI over the last few months did not go unnoticed.  My condolences and prayers to his family.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

pluto77, thank you for sharing this.  Will certainly miss his posts... certainly a great loss to our community.  My condolences to his family. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I thank the Lord that Steve is no longer suffering, even though those of us who had a chance to talk with him would have never known of his struggles with this terrible disease as he was always so upbeat.  I pray for his family to give them peace and comfort knowing he is in a far better place and they will see him again one day.

Steve and I had a few conversations on the phone over the last couple of years after he was diagnosed with cancer. We talked about golf, football, BBQ, Marriott, Military and Jesus, how he loved all and more. 

I remember his enthusiasm last summer before the U.S. Open at Pinehurst, N.C., where he and his Son's would go to watch the best golfers in the world compete for the championship.  I remember his love for spending time at the many War Memorial sites and Veteran Cemeteries in Washington, D.C., as well as other places around the country.

Steve, you will be missed by many and you touched many lives.  I am thankful for being one who was able to talk with you on a few occasions and thank you for your service to our country and to Gold.

Rejoice friends, God has another Solider in his midst!!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I didn’t read a lot of nuhusker’s posts but I did see enough to know he was a big Nebraska Cornhusker fan. I lived in Lincoln, Nebraska for 5 ½ years and I know how avid Cornhusker fans were.  I once heard that on game day the stadium became the third largest city in Nebraska.

On this MRI site I’ve read many of the tributes to him; have seen pictures of him proudly standing in his red jacket and learned of the other things that brought him joy in his life. I’m glad he made the choice to live a fulfilling, happy life; isn’t that the whole point?

Thanks to all, especiallypluto77  who brought to light a great man.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Pluto, thank you for informing us of Nuhusker's passing.  I would never have known otherwise; although, I had noticed that he was no longer posting.  We had some interesting discussions about huskers and hogs and he alerted me to the fact that Stacy Lewis, who was the #1 woman golfer at the time, was a Razorback.  He and his family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We love Stacy here in The Woodlands where she went to The Woodlands High School and will see her around the courses from time to time when she is visiting family.  Steve kept many of us up to date on golf happenings and he is certainly missed by many.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This will be a place that will always remember, Steve:

IMG_1889.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you for the link Pluto,

Had to come out of MRI semi-retirement to add my condolences and the loss that we all feel for this MRI great! He leaves a legacy of a great family and the impact he had on so many people here. You will be missed, Steve.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Thanks for posting his obit.  I love the shout out to Marriott Rewards.  My family would probably put the same on mine since I'm a walking advertisement for Marriott.   nuhusker helped me with many questions, and I always appreciated his welcoming spirit and great tips.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry to hear this. As a long time member of the MRI Community including my interactions with nuhusker in the past, it saddens me. RIP Steve.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I am also saddened by his passing, but I know he's got to be in a better place.  He was too good of a person not to be.  Thanks for posting.

nuhuskerdaughter Silver

pluto77 Thank you so much for this post about my dad. He always loved his MRI friends. Growing up, he LOVED planning trips for our family and now, my own family too. It is very comforting to know that you guys all had such a special bond and he enjoyed talking with you all so much.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Welcome, nuhuskerdaughter. We're so glad to have you!

Your father had such a strong presence in this community and left a lasting impression. It’s wonderful to hear that he influenced your love of travel, too.

I’m carat one of the moderators here along withKatieC, deannadand lindseyh.  Please feel free to reach out to any of us with questions. As you already know, this community is a great place to share travel recommendations, experiences, and even develop great friendships. 

Again, welcome to the community!  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Your dad was an unforgettable member of this community, nuhuskerdaughter, and I'm so sorry sorry for your loss. He had great travel advice to share!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Thank you for the post and information, though it is very sad news.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...