Breaking news- Saturday 7/25pm 3:50pm EST
Fire in progress at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas- Pool Area
Message was edited by: vaboywnder
Updated reports indicate that one person was hospitalized and no major injuries. The fire was contained to the Bamboo Pool Area.
Thanks for sharing with the forum, vaboywnder. Did you take these pictures? You had quite the angle to see the blaze if so. Also very glad to hear that nobody was seriously injured.
From the story in The Sun: "'The fire started in a cabana and quickly burned the pool’s surrounding decorative trees, which are made of high-density foam and plastic and burn easily,'" said Fire Chief Greg Cassell. “"Once it got going, it jumped from tree to tree,'” he said.
Call it sham-boo. With that much foam and plastic, it could've been much worse from inhalation alone, similar to the nightclub fire in Rhode Island ignited by the band Great White's pyrotechnics. Glad there were no serious injuries.
Living here unfortunately this is becoming a norm. It makes international news within seconds and creates unnecessary dram. Sure it is news and for us older folks who remember the MGM Grand Fire as well as the Hilton...those were real fires!
The latest fires both have been near the pool area and probably associated to dry timber and cigarettes although I have not heard officially. The Monte Carlo fire from a year or two back was caused by a worker on the roof and created massive panic. We saw the smoke miles away from both of these and it did not help that it was Saturday during the day. Over 100 firefighters had it extinguished within 30 minutes and the pool was open a day later for business.