Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2010 2:09 PM by nuhusker RSS

Is anyone aware of "selective offers"?

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Nuhusker's comment about the megabonus offering an option for 2500 points/night up to 25k was surprising to me so I decided to check it out.  I didnt remember seeing this option because I probably would have taken it.

I called MR and was told that Visa makes different offers to different people.  Has anyone heard of this?  I was not offered that option, but apparently some were, but it is all subjective and depends on what visa decides to offer.  Any thoughts?

• Re: Is anyone aware of "selective offers"?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

The offer I was referring to showed up on the Marriott homepage for quite a while, but once I signed in the promo I was registered for showed up.  There was quite a bit of discussion on this board about it...meaning the various promo's, etc, with some folks complaining they weren't offered but one option, etc.  There's probably some way to find that thread.  As for VISA making the offer, my understanding is that I registered with Marriott, not VISA.  Heck, I don't even own a Marriott VISA, so what's VISA got to do with which offer I sign up for, other than I have to use their credit card to get the credit (not that I care about which card I need to use, just pointing out the requirement for this promo).  Sounds like you might have gotten someone from MR who didn't know much about this promo.  Keep calling back until you get a rep who'll let you change to your desired promo if that's what you want to do.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

yes, I am aware of selective offers.  At any given time, MR members will be offered promotions.  These offers vary, and I suspect it has to do with recent activity and what might appeal to you more.  Anyway, the selectivce offers do exist and I dont believe you can ask to be switched. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

For clarity, the Megabonus-as-you-go offer that NUHusker reports seeing on the home page and one that I received in e-mail is what I would call the 'default' promotion.  Like NUHusker, when I clicked Register, a different offer came up - for a max of 40K points. Candidly, it was off-putting. 

Once exposed to the Megabonus-as-you-go offer, my expectations were set that it was a good offer given my circumstances, travel plans and budget.  To hit 24 of 25 nights and not qualify for 40K does not sit right.  As stated in an earlier post, I have deeded nights with Marriott Vacation Club in the pipeline for the balance of 2009.  These nights are already paid via the maintenance fee with VISA I might add, but do not qualify for Megabonus because the T&C requires payment using VISA at check-out.

I did call MR and received conflicting information about the feasibility of switching offers.  Bottom line - the Megabonus this time around offers very little if any value given the ratio of deeded nights to paid in my plans and budget.

luv2travl Platinum

The apparent two distinct offers in the Marriott Fall Mega Bonus is confusing.  I find it interesting that a secondary site,  Smartertravel.com,  is listing the megabonus for Marriott to be the 2500 bonus points after the second stay with a maximum of 25,000 points.   http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/up-front-with-tim-winship/the-top-five-frequent-flyer-deals-for-october-2009.html?id=3714696  ( Look at winter hotel offers /Marriott.)  It appears as though the writer of Smartertravel, who is comparing various hotel bonus offers, is only aware of this option.

I think Marriott should address this and offer the reward member their choice of the two options.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Luv2Trvl

There are actually multiple concurrent Megabonus offers this year so it is quite confusing.  For more discussion, see:

Hilton Bonus Offer Rivals Megabonus

It's back! MegaBonus returns!

Megabonus Rewards

azconsultant Platinum

YMMV, but I was offered the 25k points after 10 stays (5k every other stay) for the megabonus. I subsequently earned platinum status and started learning about other offers. Considering I'm staying 3 nights/week throughout the entire promotion, I called MR to ask if I could switch to a more robust offer. The rep told me that he could give me the 35k/20 night, 50k/25 night offer, but that it wouldn't hit my account until after the promo ends and they go back and review my stays.

So the point is that Marriott will allow you to change to the 50k/25 nights promo is you ask as AZConsul...did.  One thing is for sure...if you think it's not possible and you don't ask, it ain't gonna happen.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker,

The Platinum Elite line also suggested I wait until the promotion is over.

TJC -- that's good that they will allow you also to change your promo preference.  When that actually happens is secondary to when the points actually get posted I suppose.  I'm glad to see several different versions of the promo were offered.  Probably allowed more MR members to benefit based on travel habits, etc.

• Re: Is anyone aware of selective offers?
    pltnmprincess Platinum

I appreciate all the comments but now I'm really confused.....

I never got the 2500pts/night for 25k pts max option.  When I called MR, I was told since I already accepted the 25/50k option that I could not change even if I was offered the other plan (which I wasnt so I guess its a moot point).  I will try calling back and see if I can get someone a bit more knowledgable on the phone.

• Fall Megabonus ends Friday Call Now To Switch Offer
    tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

The Fall VISA Megabonus ends this Friday.  To recap the base offer:

"Offers start at 2,500 MegaBonus points every paid stay, starting with your second stay - up to a maximum of 25,000 points!"

Depending upon Elite status and prior history, you may have received a selective offer.  For example, this was the offer I received:

"Earn: 25,000 Marriott Rewards MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 15 paid nights, plus an additional 15,000 MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 20 paid nights, up to a maximum of 40,000 total."

As others have noted, this was an all-or-nothing offer and I was not happy.  Although I had more than 20 nights reserved, 14 of them were deeded nights under Marriott Vacation Club.  These 14 nights were ineligible towards the promotion.  When I called Marriott to switch to the Base Offer, I was told that a switch was possible, but it could not be done until after the promo ended.

I called earlier today and the switch to the Base Offer was done!  Happily, the Megabonus points earned under the base offer are in my account. Kudos to Marriott for flexibility and following through.

pltnmprincess Platinum

Thanks TJC!!

Do you know if the upcoming Megabonus promotion has the same options?  I was only offered the 15/25 nights for 35k/50k points.  I would like to take the other option if possible.

Thanks, TJC for that prompt.  And platinumprincess, would you post back what you find out about changing options for the upcoming mega bonus promo?  I'm likely to make out better with the 2500 each night for up to 10 nights rather than the 20-25 nights/35,000-50,000 points promo that I was offered.  Slow first half of 2010 expected.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Princess and NUHusker

I share expectations about a slow 1st Qtr and overlooked asking about the ability to switch offers on the new MegaBonus.  Rather than assume, I will ask and post back. Stay tuned.

Appreciate that, TJC.

klaus29 Silver

hi insider its exactly the same at the old megabonus

one difference .....finisch the double points and nights

everybady from us get a different  promotion

take the promotion what you neet. take you

phone, pencil, ou e mail. its your promotion

only you know what is the best one for you

start wirh stays after the first  for all stays you get

2500 points. this is for member with not mutch nights

maximum 25000 points

then you have the megabonus with 35000 points with

20 payd nights  ou the 50000 points with 25 payd nights

when you schure  between the 01/2 to the 30/4/2010

you make 25 payd nights  take this one is the best

50000 points. if you dont know today how many nights

you will spend inn a marriott  take the promotion

after the 1 stay for all stay you get 2500 points.

attention with stays dont make 1 stay with 20 nights

you will loost many points .

tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

According to Platinum Elite there are at least 6 different offers available under the Megabonus 2010.  The 'base offer' (my term) is 2500 points for every stay starting with the second stay. If you expect a 'slower than usual' 1st Qtr, the 2500 points/stay might be the most effective offer towards maximizing the Megabonus.

In order to switch offers, you must call and note the request to switch on your account BEFORE the promotion ends.  Then, w/in two weeks of the promotion ending, you must call back to request follow-through on the switch.

pltnmprincess Platinum

NUHUSKER,

Per your request I am posting back about what I found regarding the Megabonus.  As TJC stated there is one option for 2500 pts per STAY starting after the 2nd STAY up to 25k points max, and the other option of 20/25 nights earning 35k/50k points.  I also found out there is a 3rd option:  5k bonus points per STAY for every other STAY - which is basically the same as option 1.  Keep in mind Option 1 is per STAY, not per night, unless of course you change hotels every night for a multi-night trip to make a Stay = a night.

The first time I called the Plat Premier number and requested this to be changed, I was told they couldnt do it.  Then I called the regular platinum guest services and spoke with Shelly who was extremely helpful.  She said that she noted my account and 2 weeks after the promotion ends, she will go in and modify my account to reflect option 1.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you for getting back to us.  I'm also going to call and will let y'all know what happens.

I called MR desk and was told my request to change my current mega bonus to 2500 pts per night starting with the second stay was noted and would be entered at the end of the promotion period.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...