6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2015 7:17 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

transferring points

sagsal Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am planning a family trip with my parents and I have the bulk of the points needed to book a large place - my father (and maybe mother) have the rest needed

Can they transfer the points to my account?  How would this work?

Much thanks and I know there are some other postings on this subject but they are from a few years ago so want to make sure I have the most up to date info

THanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: transferring points
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

According to the Marriott web site, points can only be transferred to/from the account of a spouse or domestic partner (see Buy Points | Gift Points | Transfer Points | Donate Points). You could buy points or have them gifted to you, but it doesn't appear that you can have them transferred to your account from anyone other than a spouse or domestic partner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AS I understand matters, you can only transfer between spouses/domestic partner AND only at redemption time for the shortfall. So if Mr Sagsal wishes to redeem 120,000 points for a 5 night cat 6 hotel but only has 98,000 points, Mrs Sagsal can transfer 22,000 points from her account to him. The entire process is dealt with manually via the Marriott Rewards helpline and can't be done online.

Sorry, but no provision for transfers between parents/children.

joshm Member

Hello sagsal and welcome to the Insiders forum!

The Insiders site is the perfect place for you to share questions or inquires as you have done here. This community is full of members just like brightlybob and bejacob who are constantly helping their fellow traveler with information, recommendations and insights, photos, and news.

Additionally, in the event that you need help answering questions or would like someone to address any concerns, don't hesitate to read out to me (joshm), or lindseyh. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we're here to help.

sagsal Silver

Really appreciate the responses

Too bad because I had wanted to book a 3 bedroom at St Kitts and use some of my parents points - since it is timeshare I think we can only book the week and can't split up the nights

Our back up is St. Croix at the renaissance - not a bad backup!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

sagsal

You can indeed transfer points between you and your parents, because you are taking a trip together and sharing the points expense.  I have done this numerous times when traveling with my mother.  You just need to contact reservations and explain to them what you are needing to do.  They will fax you (or your parents) the paperwork (yes, there is paperwork), the person donating will need to sign, then fax back, and voilà!  And brightlybob is correct, it can only be done at redemption time (in conjunction with your making the reservation.)

702rugbyref Platinum

Good to know!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...