13 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:08 PM by ramoneur RSS

anyone else listening to music at double speed?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As long as I can remember I have been listening to music and buying portable devices to do so.

My first mobile music machine was the good old Sony Walkman, when I was about 10, with the usual cassettes, lousy head phones and short battery life.

throughout my life, I have bought, possessed and broken and lost various portable music machines.

For example:
- full metal, extremely small/flat, Sony Walkman for cassettes
  (it used to be only 4mm bigger than the cassette! executed in
  full metal, costed me approx. 300 guilders at the time)

- first MP3-players, with extra big (and expensive!) flash card of 256 megabytes, yay!

- ipod nano, with 4 gigabytes of memory, wow!

etc.

...but now, my good old and faithful Samsung Galaxy S2,

which includes a flashcard of 64GB,

filled with music and audiobooks, never leaves my side :-)

One feature of the MP3-player on this phone is that MP3's can be played with a different speed than normal, varying from 0,5 to 2,0 times the normal (1,0) speed; The audio compression is remarkable and astonishing, even at double speeds the voice/music/tones stay the same (unlike the old double-speed "high speed dubbing", where even Johnny Cash would start to sound like Elmo);

...so I now usually listen to audiobooks at 1,4 times the speed (Teaching Company rules!) and most music at double speed...

So my question is:

am I the only one trying to cram more music/information in the same amount of time,

or are there other "double-speeders" out there?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
  • Re: anyone else listening to music at double speed?
    ramoneur Platinum

*bump*

nobody? really?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

We are getting towards the year end and I reckon it's time to start shortlisting the awards.

I'm pleased to announce ramoneur that this post is shortlisted in the following categories:

Silliest question of 2015

Oddest post of 2015

Weirdest musical related thread of 2015

Post asking the question most likely to be greeted by a "Whaaat?? You do whaaaat? Why on earth???"

And the one you should be most proud of:

Most prescient post EVER

As I am quite confident that by 2050 all those desk-dodging millenials will be saying, "live speed, huh, that's soooo 20th century... Boooooring" as they simoultaneously watch 2 football matches on their tablets and a hockey match on their Google glass - all at quad speed. Pregnancy will last 15 days, childhood 2 years and both a Republican and Democrat President will live simoultaneuously in the White House with a daily online SurveyMonkey vote deciding which one is Commander-In-Chief for the next day!

However, ramoneur whilst I strongly suspect you are a trailblazer for the future, I still say:

Whaaat?? You do whaaaat? Why on earth???

ramoneur Platinum

hah!

thanks bob :-)

ramoneur Platinum

>whilst I strongly suspect you are a trailblazer for the future

411togo.JPG

411 posts to go (well, 410 now ;-))

OOoooh, ooooh, ooooh, I'm a failblazer, it's on my account-thingumy page. Alas I can't do your trick of showing it off as I don't know how... But I'm a failblazer.

Failblazer... That's a good thing? Right? Right?

Platinum

You'll be able to redeem your trailblazer status for exactly as many points as you think you'll need for the rest of your life I'm sure - it must be in the rules somewhere, right?

ramoneur Platinum

...so, which category did I win a prize in?

Aalas ramoneur Marriott Insiders didn't run the Roady Awards for 2015, so I'm afraid it's none.

ALthough since I made up all the categories, I'm going to say you won:

Post asking the question most likely to be greeted by a "Whaaat?? You do whaaaat? Why on earth???"

Because use when I saw the thread resurrected on the big board, that was still my first reaction!

Platinum

Not a fan of Alvin and the Chipmunks so I stick to the speed the musicians intended. Of course, it's probably not that distorted, but you get the feeling. I have seen DVD players (mostly online streaming) that allow you to play a movie faster and have really only found that useful once or twice when I was on a plane and knew that there wouldn't be enough time to watch the full thing given my start time.

ramoneur Platinum

have you ever tried double speed at your mobile phone?

it's _nothing_ like Alvin and the Chipmunks;

really!

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

ramoneur...you are not alone.  A coworker of mine actually watches all of his movies at faster speeds than normal...not sure how much faster than standard speed but it is much quicker than normal.  I saw part of a movie with him at the quicker speed and really did not like the experience at all.  He does the same with audiobooks.  Maybe it just takes some time to get used to the quicker speed...not for me though.

ramoneur Platinum

hi,

thanks for the interesting reply :-)

...yes, I too watch some series at double speed;

you need a good media centre/computer for that, but it's still doable with the right equipment

mind you though: I only watch the series at double speed I think I need to know about, but don't feel are worth my full time/attention

(and most of the time I do it while playing a strategy game on my PC)

series I like, like Game of Thrones, I definitely watch at normal speed,

since a good series is not only about the story, but also about the visuals and music and etc.

(I haven't tried conversation-high series at double speed though, anyone saw "the thick of it"?)

ramoneur Platinum

so nobody else?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...