7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2015 11:31 AM by joshm RSS

Cebu City Marriott

robito64 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

In this day an age of health and fitness, I’ve just had an experience that has not kept up with modern times.  I am currently staying at the Cebu City Marriott in the Philippines.  This is a hotel I have stayed in many times since it opened over 10 years ago.  As part of my morning exercise, I like to walk up stairs, so I asked the staff to use the emergency stairwell to go up to my room.  For the first time since I've been coming to this hotel, they refused to let me use the stairs.  I even spoke to the General Manager, Mr. Patrick Carroll, and he claimed that the emergency stairs were designed to exit the building, not to go up to the rooms. It is beyond my understanding why they refused me the use of the stairs, when I have been using them in the past, and when I do not disturb anyone using them once a day for my morning exercise. It’s funny, as a lifetime Gold member I always get these welcome notes from the hotel manager.  In the case of this hotel, it was signed by the general manager and it said “don’t hesitate to let us know how we can personalize your stay.” If using the stairway to go to my room is beyond their ability to “personalize my stay”, then it is quite obvious that they have no intent to make guest comfortable.  I cannot in good conscious stay here any longer, and will move out this afternoon. I have remained a loyal customer to Marriott because it always prides itself in taking care of its guests needs, but in this instance, you miserably failed.  It may be one hotel, and one hotel manager, but it definitely gave me a very bad taste, and it shows no sincerity or integrity in the welcome cards you provide.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cebu City, Philippines Marriott Hotels & Resorts Cebu City Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Cebu City Marriott
    joshm Member

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us, robito64, and welcome to the Insiders forum.

This is the right place for you to post such an experience, and we appreciate the level of detail you provide. You may have already seen, but from tips and insights to photos and news, the Insiders forum is a wonderful place to share among a large network of folks who are always traveling as well.

Regarding content like this and any other question or concern you may have about a stay, the Rewards program, or the site, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), or lindseyh. We make up the moderation team for the Insiders network and we're here to help.

Had you previously asked for permission to use the stairs and they granted it? It seems weird that they'd let you use the stairs on previous stays but not this one?! If you'd like to speak to someone about this, shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and the best way to reach you to begin.

Thanks for posting and we look forward to hearing more from you in the Forum.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

robito64 Gold

Yes, I had previously used the stairways with the permission of the security personnel.  What is a DM? Not sure who else I could talk to when the general manager's response was "go to the mall and use the stairs there." 

joshm Member

Hey robito64!

Sorry for the confusion. A DM is a direct message, which enable us to interact privately. Also, I edited your post to remove your Rewards number, as it is personally identifiable information you'd probably like to keep private.

If you click on my username, it will bring you to my profile page and you'll have the option to send me a direct message.

robito64 Gold

I sent a DM did you receive it?

robito64 Gold

While I posted my experience at the Cebu City Marriott here in the community page, I also sent my concern to Marriott Guest Services through their email site at Marriott Rewards Page. After 48 hours, they responded to my email saying “we have shared the details you provided with the general manager to ensure that your stay can improve as quickly as possible.  You should be contacted shortly.” Really?  The general manager, Mr. Patrick C. the same person who caused of my complaint?  In the past year alone I have stayed at this hotel 7 times for a total of 25 nights, and as a lifetime gold member, I spend a lot of time at the executive lounge, and always have a welcome card signed by him, stating “don’t hesitate to let us know how we can personalize your stay.”  So when I did approach him to let him know how he could personalize my stay, his first response was you have stayed here before? I don’t remember you?  Now this is also the man that told me that I could not use the stairways to go up to my room because… the central stairs were for use by the staff only, and the fire escape stairs were used to exit the building, not to go up to the room.  I explained that I used the stairs as part of my exercise, and his response was “then you can go to the mall and use the stairs there”.  Now he also stated that the fire escape stair doors were connected to a fire alarm system, so it I tried to use them it world trigger a fire alarm.  Now, forgive my bluntness, this is a bold face lie.  While the fire escape stairs do have a sign that says emergency exit, they are not tied to an alarm system.  I have used them in the past when I was a floor or two below the executive lounge and used them to go up to the lounge.  So not only was this manager not willing to accommodate a simple request, or as his cards states “personalize my stay”, he did not have the integrity to tell me the truth, and lie about the condition of the emergency stairs.  Now this is the man that Marriott Guest services will rely upon to solve my complaint.  Now I have seldom had any problems at any of the Marriott Hotel’s I have stayed in over 15 years of membership, and over 785 nights, so I’ve never had to rely on guest services to assist me, but this experience me is showing me that perhaps this whole system is just a bunch of talk, not really meant to assist guests.

joshm Member

robito64,

Thank you for the additional detail around your experience. I never did receive your Direct Message! I'll message you first and we can go from there.

702rugbyref Platinum

I never even heard of this place. Thanks for sharing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...