5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2015 12:53 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Strategy for Platinum

scrapmeat Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all new to the site and it's my first post.

I am Gold elite now and have about 14 nights already planned for the remainder of the year.  What would be a good strategy for getting Platinum. Should I call and ask for the challenge?  If it's 9 nights in 3 months, and my travel schedule is 8 nights (out of the 14) in September / October, should I wait to call?  

How about asking for a taste of Platinum? 

Anyway, great questions and answers here so I thought I'd see what everyone thinks.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Strategy for Platinum
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The Platinum challenge is 9 stays over 3 months not 9 nights. If all your stays are for one night, then you would just be one more stay away from Platinum. If, however, any of your 8 nights include consecutive nights at the same property, each of grouping counts as one stay. The nights vs. stays issue trips up a lot of folks.

It does make sense to wait if you know you will have upcoming travel that could get you closer to Platinum. If you call to request a challenge, you will not be granted Platinum status until you complete the 9 stay requirement.

Occasionally, Marriott will offer the "Taste of Platinum" challenge which gives you temporary Platinum status while you work to complete the challenge (still 9 stays over 3 months). The only trouble is that you never know when Marriott might offer such a challenge. If you call, you'll have the complete the challenge before you'll be granted the higher status.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it works out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

bejacobhas answered this question very well.

Good luck!

scrapmeat Gold

Thanks bejacob.  The stays vs. nights would have tripped me up so I appreciate you pointing that out.   I have also read on the forums that sometimes you can just ask to be moved up a level, maybe that's the "taste".   Thanks for the response.  I will put my tin foil hat on and get to thunking....

Chitownguy Platinum 1 Reviews

I just took, and accomplished, the challenge.  9 stays in a little less than three months, so my next two stays this month will be at Platinum level.  Calling and setting it up was easy, was a little unnerved that there's no progress report on it, but kept track and ta-da! 

Now, is it true that I can keep my status if I exchange points? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...