12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2015 3:56 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Free night certificate

ramip Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What can you do with a certificate given as a free annual perk for having the Marriott credit card. Only good at Cat 5 or less. Pretty useless now since Marriott has raised most of their properties to be cat 6 or higher.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Free night certificate
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is a topic that has been covered on this site ad nauseam. All MRIers agree with you. My only advice is to do a search on marriott.com for cat 5 and below and see where the properties are. Maybe you can't use the cert for a vacation but maybe a day trip or weekend away? In my case, I used it for my in laws to stay at a Renaissance near my home. They were throwing us a baby shower at the property on a Saturday afternoon so I thought it a nice gesture to give them a free room for the night for all the money and effort they spent on the shower. They got a chance to grab dinner at the property, have a drink and dessert, then a nice quiet room for the night.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

That's an awesome way to utilize the certificate, ks77

702rugbyref Platinum

Many of us agree...if MR gets their stuff in order for their membership, there is no doubt it should be Cat 6 ..otherwise it makes us all feel at times unappreciated.

mauibound2 Platinum 4 Reviews

The Cat 5 reward is becoming a joke as a reward.  In Indianapolis, there are 4 Marriott properties at one location, a W, Courtyard, Fairfield & Springhill and all are Cat 6.  This does not make sense to me.  Hopefully MR takes a closer look at this and makes the reward a compliment to being MR member.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

One year I used mine for a "staycation" at a SHS in my hometown.  It was awful.  I'd rather have slept at home.  But the kids got to swim in the pool, so at least they got something out of it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

While I admit cat 1-5 certs are becoming harder to use, they still have value in some places. I'm using one in Buffalo at the end of this month and another (which I got the date extended) at the Airport Marriott in Columbus (CMH) in about 6 weeks, (the night before I leave for Hawaii ).

I've used certs in IL, TX, TN, NC, SC, FL, MO, OK, VA, NY, OH and in the UK (Bristol). I agree that as hotels move up to category 6 and beyond, finding places to use them is more difficult, but it is by no means impossible. There were a lot of folks upset when the MegaBonus promotions stopped offering certificates. I know foxglove was one of the biggest cheerleaders for certificates, and he wasn't the only one.

We'd all love to see the value move up to keep up with the points inflation of properties. I, personally, won't go so far as to say category 5 certificates are useless. It does take a bit more planning and effort, but if there are still decent properties where they can be used. Just not as many as there used to be.

That said, I'll be cheering along with everyone else if a category 1-6 cert shows up on my CC anniversary next year.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

What bejacob said! I still find plenty of uses for Cats 1-5 -- primarily in the South, but in some nice destinations: Wilmington, NC; New Bern, NC; Palm Coast, FL; Waynesboro, VA to name a few. So burn 'em if you got 'em!

That Robin-like boy wonder of the Commonwealth vaboywnder has made it easy to search for properties by name and category with a downloadable spread sheet: MarriottCategoryChanges2015_SortbyCategoryNumber.xlsx - Box

Holy easy property search, Batman! I just wish the certs were still MegaBonus options.

joshm Member

This is great stuff, bejacob.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I love the certificate and been able to use them. I would love for them to be cat 6 as well since that would give us so many more options. I've used mine in cambell courtyard where prices could go upto $350 or more. There are new residence inns and towneplace that just opened half a mile from San Jose airport all category 5 with a ridiculous cash cost. Lastly I've used my last cert at the residence inn las vegas hughes which is a cat 4 and it was such a good hotel specially now that's it's renovated.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i suspect it is regional as i have stayed at a full service marroitt in Mesa AZ which is still a level 5. had to use points for a stay this week just outside of Boston at a CY and it was level 6

Jsucool76 Gold

There's cat5s in disney world...so I'm happy =]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...