10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2015 4:06 PM by solkua RSS

TVL Rate- Gold and moving on. Any tips from members?

skysurfr Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Travel Industry professional and have enjoyed booking the TVL rate for many years. As is indicated in many other discussions, Marriott has stopped awarding points and nights for this rate even when it's equal to or more than other qualifying rates.    That's their choice. It's a bad choice in my opinion.

I frequently stay at the LAX Marriott and they have continued to downgrade the Lounge amenities. The breakfast is now served in the dim downstairs restaurant rather than in the lounge with the spectacular view of the arriving airplanes and airport.   At other properties I was awarded points because lounges were closed. 

It's just not that attractive anymore and I am ready to spend my points and move on.

Any other Travel Industry professionals have a suggestion on what other hotel brand to move on to?  I came to Marriott at the suggestion of another travel pro many years ago.  I recently renovated a home using my Marriott Rewards card.  

The final slap in the face came last month in Paris when I tried to use points for a stay.  They wanted an absurd amount of points at any property for a stay and then wanted $150/nt on top of the points.

As a suggestion to Marriott- If you are going to stop awarding points then lower the TVL rates to the "Family" or "Employee" rates. 

My suggestion to other Travel Industry Professionals- If you stay at the same hotel often, contact the sales department in that hotel. Ask if they can arrange a "bookable" rate for you.  I've found that the local hotel managers will frequently recognize the value of loyalty and the added revenue to a hotel that is frequently not booked to capacity.  

Also, for the travel professionals- When staying at Marriotts for work and you encounter a problem. Don't forget to review and rate the hotel on Trip Advisor, YELP, and any other social media that you find useful. 

Safe Travels to all!

Skysurfr

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TVL Rate- Gold and moving on. Any tips from members?
    702rugbyref Platinum

I have stayed 5 times this year at the Marriott nearest LAX (as you know there are two almost side by side). I have not had any problems at this hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skysurfr Gold

I like the LAX Marriott. I've just noticed that they are cutting back on the quality of the club and breakfast.  The M+M's , Peanut, and Wasabi Pea machines disappeared from the lounge. Sounds small, but I liked getting a handful for a late night snack. The bottled water is gone.  The breakfast has gone downstairs where you can stare at the wall in a dimly lit steakhouse and enjoy the aroma of last nights dinner.  The crew upstairs seemed to take some pride in putting out a nice spread and keeping it refreshed. The breakfast downstairs is pretty much a bad hotel free breakfast. A quick look around and I saw piles of food just left on plates.   It feels like you're eating in a closed restaurant, which you are.

travelagent16 Gold

I seem to be having problems earning Marriott Rewards points using the TVL & Famtastic rates... I understand they don't give us points but they should at least award us with our Elite night credit since we are committed individuals who contribute in Marriott's growth and sales. We could easily sell other hotel brands to our clients so I find it is hard to digest that Marriott would treat its travel professionals like this.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

Since Marriott now credits Elite nights for those using points, I don't understand why rates using TVL are still being shunned. They are getting some sort of revenue!!!

r.sharp Platinum

When Marriott stopped awarding points/nights for TVL bookings, I'm checking more frequently the other hotel chains.

I've switched my Rome booking to Sheraton and earned 2 free weekend nights !

travelagent16 Gold

Hey Carat, I was hoping you could help me out, I have the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card... as a Travel Agent I love Marriott properties, however.. I was really sad when I noticed I would only be getting 30,000 MR Points with my credit card and not the 80,000 MR Points because I am in Canada..? after all I had seen the 80,000 PTS Promo on the Canada/USA Marriott website.

I mean it is a significant difference in points. As both Cards are from Chase im hoping you can clarify or help me out

- Justin

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

We had the same issue but it was not up to Marriott to change the bonus points rather it was Chase who made the offer thus it depends on them to help you out.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I believe in the CC business the country of origin dictates the rules, rewards and policy. In your case Chase USA is not quite the same at Chase Canada, thus the differences in perks. I realize it doesn't seem fair but perhaps some pressure from the card holders could enact change.

JD

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for reaching out, jamesdean.  I'll definitely look into this and let you know what I'm able to find out.  Stay tuned.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Good insight here.  I'm curious as to what others have to say as well, seems like you are all on the same page. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...